• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan OADs 1-8 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised you disliked Lost in the Cruel World, funnily enough it was my favorite OVA episode. It was especially interesting food for thought while waiting for the final chapter to drop. But I get that it wasn't for everyone.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Lost in the Cruel World sucked, yeah. That seems to be the consensus in the fanbase. The other's were good stuff, other than Distress. The Sudden Visitor was probably my favorite of the bunch. Hilarious episode.
Faxis001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I also used to think that "Lost in the cruel world" was pretty much pointless/weird but after reading the last chapters of the manga i would say it is a "must watch" instead, so i would suggest everyone to NOT skip it unlike what was written in the review.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that these are finally available, but I'm shocked Funimation didn't go ahead and dub them considering how it's one of their biggest commodities (I know people are mixed on the AOT dub overall but I have a certain nostalgia for it).
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
"Ilse's Notebook" has always been a favorite of mine, and it would've been cool to connect spoiler[Ymir's flashback years later in season 2 to this particular Titan(as it was one of the cult people she knew)]. It's a shame that people who hadn't seen it are getting it now while we're waiting for part 2 of season 4, with most of the series' mysteries resolved... Confused
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
With this being such a big franchise, it would have been nice for a dub and a compilation DVD or BluRay. But glad it's available. Any idea how long it'll be available? Sometimes these kinds of side stories appear and vanish from official streaming randomly.

All that said, I feel like the MAPPA season has sort of solidified Titan as a classic for me. It may have been the most powerful season so far overall. (Season One Part 2 and Season 3 Part 2 were my previous favorites.) I think it's made everything that came before more interesting and meaningful. Now, I haven't read the manga, so rumor has it that this second half might ruin everything, but oh well. Looking forward to the new stuff. spoiler[I didn't think the shift in setting could be pulled off, I thought the story had written itself into a corner, but they pulled it off in a major way so far.]
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Good to see that these are finally available, but I'm shocked Funimation didn't go ahead and dub them considering how it's one of their biggest commodities (I know people are mixed on the AOT dub overall but I have a certain nostalgia for it).

Funimation announced at the same time they revealed they were streaming the OADs that English dubbed versions would be released sometime in 2022.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Yeah as someone else already pointed out, they're getting dubbed in 2022. Even though I've always kept up with the show subbed, I might honestly just wait for the dub to re-watch these then since it will at least offer a new viewing experience.

Plus, based on re-watches I've had with my sister, S4's dub was probably the strongest I've seen over the years from the creative team and I do really like the performances for the many of the OVA-focused characters like Matt Mercer's Levi, Lauren Landa's Annie, etc...
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:30 am Reply with quote
"The Sudden Visitor" is probably my favorite out of all the OVAs since it is, as James said, goddamed ridiculous. I always loved AoT's comedic moments, so to have an episode of Attack on Titan that is all about the comedy is an absolute joy for me. Now, if only Attack on Titan: Junior High were a tenth as funny as this OVA...

"Ilse's Notebook" is another personal favorite since we get a little bit of character development for Hange, and the horror aspect is executed wonderfully.

"Distress" is a tightly packed story complete with action and great character moments. I have a soft spot for it, and I'd honestly put it on the same level as the best episodes from season 1.

"No Regrets" is probably my least favorite. The worldbuilding with the underground city is nice, but everything else is just boring and predictable from beginning to end. If you're a Levi fan you're gonna love it, but personally, I only started caring about Levi during the Return to Shiganshina arc.

"Wall Sina: Goodbye" is okay. I thought the story was pretty boring, but more Annie is always good.

Finally, "Lost in the Cruel World" is just bad. Seeing Mikasa and Eren as kids was cute and all, but that's about it. I especially didn't like how episode 7 was recontextualized in this. Whereas in the show Mikasa decided to accept Eren's death and live on remembering him, here Mikasa decided to keep living because she was in denial over Eren's death. I thought that was pretty dumb.
Mashup Nuna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:36 am Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
I'm kinda surprised you disliked Lost in the Cruel World, funnily enough it was my favorite OVA episode. It was especially interesting food for thought while waiting for the final chapter to drop. But I get that it wasn't for everyone.

ii have question. how do we add ratigns or reviews since I'm new and my friend told me to read some manga yet my review wont load in
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1