• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamakan's 'Magical Girls' Dark Fantasy Anime Project Stalled Due To Lack of Investors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yamamoto responded to the tweet with "Just shut up."

Urgh...how much hate do you have to have to say that? At this point, everything that can be said about Yamamoto has been said already so yeah. I did give Hakubo a try but what a waste of time Rolling Eyes
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Just how many times he was supposed to leave the industry?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if it wasn't an anime inspired by his former coworker's passing, and maybe if he was a better person overall, he'd have an easier time getting funding

I watched Hakubo and it felt very bland, there was nothing really special about it at all but he was supposed to retire for the umpteenth time after that
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good ol' Yamakan...
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if a work like it isn't released to the world soon, I seriously predict that Japanese animation will truly come to an end

Is he saying that if original anime movies aren't produced the anime industry is doomed, or is he implying the world desperately needs a dark magical anime movie inspired by recent human tragedy cause otherwse anime is done for??
Either way, that's a bit of an overstatement, dude.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="FiendHunter"]
Quote:

Is he saying that if original anime movies aren't produced the anime industry is doomed, or is he implying the world desperately needs a dark magical anime movie inspired by recent human tragedy cause otherwse anime is done for??
Either way, that's a bit of an overstatement, dude.
he is just promoting it ig
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry but after fractle and his other animes, all I can think about this is GOOD the anime industry is terrible enough to animators without you being in it again.
glafrun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Don't we already have magical girl site by way of magical girl apocalypse? Eff this guy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
"The Kyoto Animation fire was a devastating tragedy...when it broke out"? That makes it sound like an accident. :/
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
On a positive note, if you want to see an anime series in part deal with the emotional effects of the Kyoani fire, there's always Naoko Yamada's Heike Story; a show let its themes of grief & remembrance speak for itself, rather than using crass imagery and tacky, insensitive interviews to invoke the tragedy to shill a product.

It also helps that Yamada represented Kyoani at its peak, rather being a disturbed, pathologically dishonest dirt-bag, whose biggest call to fame was being kicked out of the studio.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to re-watch Fractale for a while now wouldn't be against seeing more
Yamakan projects produced the medium could use a few more compelling titles that aren't connected to pre-existing titles.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The project seems tone-deaf/exploitative. And this dude sounds like a megalomaniac. I'm surprised anyone wanted to throw their money into this pit at all. I'm glad this didn't work out. And I hope it will not work out.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
>me: hey, I remember that name!
(15 minutes of refreshing on his history later
>me: I'm more surprised it get to the point of 'stalled' instead of never getting off in the first place.

Man, I remember his comments while making Fractale being such a huge conversation back then, but now I only remember that project as being "that project that that weirdo director made that had a bunch of weird nontroversies in it."

I didn't even know he made anything after Wake Up Girls. I only know him for his stupid controversies where he insulted everyone, so I'm surprised he even gets this far.

It's super egomaniacal of him - it's like he thinks he's Shinkai, Anno, or Miyazaki, when each of them are better than him and never as egomaniacal as this guy, and worse, he's talking about the KyoAni attack as if he could be some sort of hero or something.

Honestly, it feels like the project is done in poor taste, the guy in general is just a boor, and I can't comprehend how he's still relevant besides as a "funny manchild made a new comment haha" sort of way.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Normally I would be supportive of new ideas in the magical girl genre, but… it’s Yamakan.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I see that there's some major controversy surrounding this guy but I hope the project takes off cause I desperately need more dark magical girl shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2