• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BAAF Funimation Panel report

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Three new titles, all related to current Funimation properties, have been licensed. These are the Lupin III: Farewell to Nostradamus and Lupin III: Dead or Alive feature films, and the Blue Gender Movie. Release plans are currently in development with an estimated date of summer 2004. Limited theatrical release will be considered. Overall, In addition to the films, Funimation holds the rights to 10 Lupin III specials. The only extra specified at this time will be an interview with Lupin creator Monkey Punch that will appear on the Dead or Alive DVD.

Farewell to Nostradamus, eh? If that's the one with the bit with the Bush (41)-esque president (I think called "Busch") that alludes to the incident at the dinner with whomever it was that was the Japanese Prime Minister in 1991, then, I'm sorry, but it's the sorriest POS I've ever seen from the Lupin III franchise, with laughably bad animation compared to the earlier films, and a number of hilarious cultural inaccuracies like Americans getting their coffee in *cans* from a vending machine (rather than having the cup drop down and then fill with coffee like actual coffee machines in the States).

Though, if I remember correctly, there are several scenes which have the unaltered Marlboro logo which will obviously have to be removed (or altered) for the American market, causing purists to whine about "TEH CENSORSHIP".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm checking some reviews and it seems Farewell to Nostradamus/Die! Nostradamus was animated by the same studio as Castle of Cagliostro (though not with the same director, duh) and has comparable animation, so, for the "laughably bad animation", I must be thinking of those Lupin III TV-movies from the mid-90s**, but I think the other details are dead on. Monkey Punch apparently hated it so much, according to one review I read, that he decided to resume being active in the production of the films.

**I saw a lot of the specials at my club and they're all mediocre and kinda blend together... I think most of the decent Lupin III films were the older ones that were available on VHS and/or LD in the 90s, either as Rupan III from AnimEigo or as Tales of the Wolf from Streamline. The TV episodes you Americans are currently watching on Cartoon Network are supposed to be the "classic" stuff and I am in no way criticizing them by criticizing Farewell to Nostradamus or the more recent specials, not that I've seen any of the regular TV episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1