• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Passes Away at 67

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Well I am shocked about this news, I am not saddened either. Abe wanted to push to militarize Japan with his policies and this rubbed people the wrong way.

I am very shocked about this too, especially that Japan has a very low crime rate and have very strict gun control, but Abe does not want to militarize Japan. It is more on amending the Article 9 clause, which did rub people the wrong way still.

This year's elections have become more important than ever due to the death of Shinzo Abe. May he rest in peace Sad
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
I am not saddened either. Abe wanted to push to militarize Japan with his policies and this rubbed people the wrong way.

This is not a valid statement. No politician on the Earth can make everyone happy. No matter how loved, there will always be many people who are rubbed the wrong way. Even politicians who are wildly popular can be assassinated.

It is not the politicians who are the problem, but the crazy people who think murdering them is good.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:55 am Reply with quote
CNN has a picture of the gun...it was held with duct tape to be double barrel. The guy looked younger than 41 too. But damn...Abe-san was assassinated and I think it's what they call a "hanging case" now. My condolences to his friends and family and all the people of Japan. This was senseless. It wasn't that long ago, he retired either from health issues. Very tragic.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I hope whoever had the nerve to shoot and kill him is held responsible. Life in prison would be a much preferable punishment for such a horrific crime.

Since Japan has capital punishment, it's pretty much guaranteed that he'll get the death penalty, especially considering that he assassinated a politician.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Well I am shocked about this news, I am not saddened either.

He was also an avid denier of Japan’s involvement in war crimes during WWII (such as the R*pe of Nanking)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
Abe resigned, there was no point to this shooting at all even from a political standpoint and was beyond senseless. Revenge is a hell of a drug and something you shouldn't have for long periods of time as it just destroys your mind as it festers.
Hongqilim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Well I am shocked about this news, I am not saddened either. Abe wanted to push to militarize Japan with his policies and this rubbed people the wrong way. The fact that somebody actually shot him is unbelievable especially since owning a firearm in Japan is prohibited for most citizens. I'm sure this event will have repercussions and cause a lot of politicians to reassess how they deliver speeches in public. I also hope that a lot of the politicians will reassess their thoughts on staying in office until they're basically dead rather than retiring at a proper age. Japan has way too many old politicians with out-of-date ideas which are running the country into the ground.

Feel same here. Since less than 10 years ago, he pushed for economic revival and populist nationalism. The fact that he had visited the Yasukuni Shrine had also put him in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. At that time, there were also growing number of angry nationalist minority. Then, there was this Island dispute with its neighbours. This could have angered the assassin. http://qz.com/103511/the-other-side-of-shinzo-abe-a-survey-shows-how-nationalism-is-taking-a-toll/

Last edited by Hongqilim on Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:27 am; edited 8 times in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Since Japan has capital punishment, it's pretty much guaranteed that he'll get the death penalty, especially considering that he assassinated a politician.
Let's hope that such punishment won't brand the killer as a martyr to those who were opposed to Abe's policies in life. It would be a dark path for Japan to take should that happen.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
It is not the politicians who are the problem, but the crazy people who think murdering them is good.[/quote]

A very good point.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This is nuts! I thought guns were severely restricted in Japan for civilians?

Supposedly it was a hand made gun, it sure put out a lot of smoke. Sounded more like a canon going off in the video.

It looked very much like a handmade gun and the smoke that came off it is very reminiscent to black powder. Could be another substitute as it was likely it was also handmade ammo along with the double barrel shotgun that was handmade. The sound the 2 shots made off also give idea to it being black powder too. Given we won't know until the person confesses to how it was all created. It's going to be a really somber next few days to say the least in Japan.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This is not a valid statement. No politician on the Earth can make everyone happy. No matter how loved, there will always be many people who are rubbed the wrong way. Even politicians who are wildly popular can be assassinated.

It is not the politicians who are the problem, but the crazy people who think murdering them is good.
I can agree with this statement to an extent. But, the issue becomes more clouded should an elected leader become corrupted to the point of despotism. Case in point: Putin.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
People VOTE for these fascists that you speak of. It's US that needs to change as a human race in regards to how we see political issues towards resolution, not them. They are the result that the people vote for.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Anime News Network a leftist site? Moreover, championing equal rights and decency?

Abe was an absolute monster and ultranationalist. I don't know what people are mourning unless ignorant. A lot of anime with political leanings have made not-so-subtle jabs at him and his ideologies.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like most of Abe's ideas (including the one of hosting nuclear weapons as deterrent for China) but recently he was one of the few high profile LDP members to push for full border reopenings.
He was the leader of the "other" LDP faction (that opposed Kishida's) so the political ramifications of his death will certainly change the Japanese politics, at least in the short term.

And no matter how you may dislike a person, being happy because he was killed is...questionable to say the least.
He was a nationalist (too much, for my tastes), but I guess certain people need to check what "fascist" really is.

Also, he didn't "pass away". He was murdered. Why the news title is written like that?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
** removed ** People VOTE for these fascists that you speak of. It's US that needs to change as a human race in regards to how we see political issues towards resolution, not them. They are the result that the people vote for.

The Japanese Electoral System disproportionally favors rural areas with lower population in the election of MPs on both chambers. Even if LDP and Komeito only receive together 40% of votes, they can get 70% of the Diet.

But all this is besides the point. This was a tragedy. I did not like the guy, but he wasn't even Prime Minister anymore, and if he was, you protest against his government, you vote against him. You NEVER choose to shoot him.

No, this was not a good day for Anti-Fascists. The LDP might radicalize even further, and all around a life was lost. Democracy lost today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6