• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Passes Away at 67

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Abe was a fine Prime Minister Twice and served our country with great dignity skill and energy and helped revitalize our country and economy. He has deep commitment to the best in both government and life and was a fine man in all ways. We will mourn him and honour him and always remember his service to us all. thank you for kind words posted here.

The man who killed him was targeting another person who was not there, and is a very sad and evil man who Is beyond belief. Life has many challenges. And each of us has a time to be here. We are very glad Abe was here with us for as long as he was.
With all due respect to your condolences of Abe, being favorably biased towards his policies does not make him a great martyr. The one lurker who was here earlier outlined his cons.

And who is the other person that the killer meant to target? This is the first we're hearing of it and counters official news reports.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I am heart broken by this news. Abe was an amazing man beloved by all. He would always meet and interact with people at all his speeches and I was able to meet him one time not too long ago. He really conencted with young people and it was always fun seeing him endear their requests and fangirling. One of my favorite videos that's making the rounds again after this tragic news:

https://twitter.com/GERO_FANTA_G/status/154530091772952576

It's hard to watch now. He was so full of life.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
And who is the other person that the killer meant to target? This is the first we're hearing of it and counters official news reports.

There's a misunderstanding spreading around due to the wording of a few articles that made it sound like the shooter went after Abe accidentally while targeting another religious leader. This is false. He knew who Abe was and, unable to go after the person he wanted to go after, he went after Abe instead, believing Abe was somehow involved with the organization. The religious group was leaked by Japanese media and is now being reported in reliable news outlets (Unification Church, a shinkyou), so we know despite Abe's many scandals, this particular conspiracy theory isn't well-evidence. The shooter says he was desperate because his mother fell into the cult and went bankrupt and destroyed their family.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:57 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
There's a misunderstanding spreading around due to the wording of a few articles that made it sound like the shooter went after Abe accidentally while targeting another religious leader. This is false. He knew who Abe was and, unable to go after the person he wanted to go after, he went after Abe instead, believing Abe was somehow involved with the organization. The religious group was leaked by Japanese media and is now being reported in reliable news outlets (Unification Church, a shinkyou), so we know despite Abe's many scandals, this particular conspiracy theory isn't well-evidence. The shooter says he was desperate because his mother fell into the cult and went bankrupt and destroyed their family.
Considering how loony some of these religious sects are, this doesn't surprise me. I hope the organization gets exposed for their quackery and its members arrested. Innocent lives gets ruined over this.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hope the organization gets exposed for their quackery and its members arrested.

That sentence is a bit problematic; the Japanese judicial system is notoriously corrupt. It's standard operating procedure for prosecutors to meet beforehand with a pre-selected judge to both review the criminal charges and to decide on a criminal sentence before any criminal charges are formally filed. When Carlos Ghosn fled Japan, it was widely agreed by most observers that a major factor in his decision to do so (irrespective of guilt or innocence) was the fact that his trial would not be fair, but would instead be a show trial.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
This is pretty shocking, but let's not try to whitewash the guy. His stump speeches recently were him lamenting that he didn't achieve his goals during his time as PM, which included wanting to amend Japan's stance of pacifism in the constitution and repealing the 1993 apology by the Japanese government of its war crimes. He was a war crimes denialist, a historical revisionist, cozied up to ultranationalists, deteriorated Japan's relationship with South Korea, and smeared the press and minorities.

He was a bad person. He did not deserve to be murdered, but his legacy deserves to be scrutinized.

Repealing war crimes apology is bad, but I agree with amending stance of pacifism. Germany had similar stance, and now the country over my border got invaded and is being genocided, while we host over million of refugees. Pacifism doesn't work when there are belligerent empires nearby.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
There seems to be some confusion about ANN's policy on discussion of people's legacy in these threads. In particular because these policies changed somewhat a few months ago.

We do not allow any sort of celebratory posts. It does not matter how monstrous you may feel the individuals were. Even a simple "good riddance" or "he will not be missed" is not acceptable.

Earnest discussion, criticism of the individual's legacy is however permitted. "I hated him, his policies caused much harm," is perfectly fine. Please keep such discussions level headed, and avoid any ad hominem attacks.

Apologia will be dealt on a case-by-case basis. Basically, if it's a viewpoint that is allowed to be expressed on ANN, even if it is unpopular amongst our readership, apologia for it will be allowed. But if the viewpoint is one that we generally don't allow, then the apologia will not be permitted. EG: Apologia for racism will not be permitted, and it will be moderated as would any other racist post.

- Christopher Macdonald
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
There seems to be some confusion about ANN's policy on discussion of people's legacy in these threads. In particular because these policies changed somewhat a few months ago.

- Christopher Macdonald

I have not been keeping myself apprised of changes to Zac Bertschy's 06-28-2018 post and I cannot find the change that you are referencing. May I trouble you for a link?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6