• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: I'll Never Be Your Crown Princess! GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:34 am Reply with quote
I made a comment some time ago - I think it was a comment on one of your reviews of the Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - that it would be interesting to have an isekai female protagonist who was sexually experienced from her past life. Or at least someone who had been on dates.

To be fair most isekai male protagonists aren't usually that experienced either.

I think it can make romance stories more interesting where the will they/won't they tension isn't a product of a general lack of romantic experience and the nervousness that can derive from that. Rather that the thing holding the couple back is more about how they feel about each other than sex and romance in general.

Which is why this sounds like it could be a more novel approach to the genre.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Simply put, once the hero has experienced sex with the heroine, no one else will do

It's explained why he likes her much more though. Liddy lacks the common sense of the world and acts differently from other noble girls. The Prince's other conquests were dead lays while Liddy actively participated.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I brought Outbride after reading the review here and thought it was stupidly good fun, so I'll pick this up next. Hopefully, the heroine is into it a little more than Outbride's heroine was.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 am Reply with quote
I think its cool that the first part ofreviews now show the translator, but it’d be nice if it also mentioned the author and artist
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I think its cool that the first part ofreviews now show the translator, but it’d be nice if it also mentioned the author and artist

That's listed at the end of the review, in a box on the bottom right. I'm not sure why we do it that way, but it is there.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Hopefully, the heroine is into it a little more than Outbride's heroine was.

She is! Not so much into marrying, but definitely okay with everything else.

Vaisaga wrote:
It's explained why he likes her much more though. Liddy lacks the common sense of the world and acts differently from other noble girls. The Prince's other conquests were dead lays while Liddy actively participated.

All part and parcel of the trope. Wendell and Tan describe it on page 45 of Beyond Heaving Bosoms:

Quote:
How do authors achieve...emotional intensity on the hero's part? By capitalizing on the Magic Hoo Hoo, of course. The chemistry is hotter than the fire of a thousand blazing suns, and the hero is often left at a loss for what to do. It's not just the physical experience that's different; it's a different emotional experience as well...it's completely overwhelming.

I won't flood this with a longer quotation from the text, but often when this trope is in play, the hero decides his only recourse is to marry the heroine, who tends to be markedly less enthusiastic about the idea. None of that is to say that this manga isn't still a really fun time; it's just playing by a pretty specific set of romance novel rules.

andramus wrote:
I made a comment some time ago - I think it was a comment on one of your reviews of the Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - that it would be interesting to have an isekai female protagonist who was sexually experienced from her past life. Or at least someone who had been on dates.

I actually thought about that when I started reading this book. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1