• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shinobi no Ittoki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Furthermore, the Kousetsu reveal seems to distract more than add to the drama, a Shocking Twist that pulled me out of the moment rather than illuminating past events. Plus, the sudden reveal of long-distance control powers by the villains was… odd? So much of the ninja world up until this point has been technological in nature, and suddenly having this potent magical power appear was an out-of-left-field moment that struck me as writer fiat more than anything.

I think it might have something to do with the microchip Karajishi said they extracted from Satomi's brain during her autopsy. If Kousetsu is also implanted with one, and Karajishi is controlling her using his own brain-chip, maybe that would make more sense?

PROS THIS WEEK: Ittoki being proactive and actually succeeding at ninja stuff, even with assistance, is always nice. Kouzuki proving that good cops do exist in corrupt systems makes her even more best girl than she was shaping up to be. Kousetsu's unmasking scene was perfection; TROYCA chose the right moment, circumstance, and person to do the honor. The side-scroll ending credits were also a solid deviation from the norm.

CONS THIS WEEK: I hate this show. I hate this episode. I hate that the show thinks one serious injury sustained onscreen is all it takes to consider a character deceased. I hate that they cut away from the character's dying during their dying as if to give us the slightest bit of hope that they survived. I hate that they confirm their death after the fact without even flashbacking to their actual expiration. I hate that they did this with Goshogawara. I hate that they did this with Housen. I hate that they technically did this with Yumika. I hate that they all died while more inherently unlikable characters continue to live. I hate that Himura is still alive. I hate that Karajishi is still alive. I hate that not even jail was enough to stop Karajishi from being the absolute worst. I hate the implication that the other ninja village chiefs are gonna get killed off en masse by the Koga. I hate watching this crap. I hate myself for deciding to watch the final three episodes anyways. I hate Shinobi no Ittoki.

[all koga are bastards]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I figured that Karajishi was juiced up with nanomachines or something. I'm looking forward to learning why he was able to do that to poor Kousetsu.

This was the best episode yet. Ittoki stepped up, Ryoko and Kirei got good scenes, Kousetsu got figuratively and literally unmasked, and the plot's only looking more interesting than ever with Yumika's death. Props to Ittoki's VA for that heartrending scream of despair.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Plot hole: The human Kōga Ninjas, including Himura, just disappeared after the explosion, while Ittoki and friends were gathering themselves. I can't imagine the Kōga Ninjas (especially Himura) not taking the opportunity to finish off Ittoki.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Funny; I thought this episode was fairly choppy, but I loved the rain effects.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Does (did) every clan have their own ninja core and the Kouga have been collecting them as a sign of submission? I guess I've been under the impression that the Iga core was a one-of-a-kind thing that no one really knows what it does (besides the Iga leader) but is rumored to be super powerful. Which made me keep thinking it isn't at all what anyone is expecting it to be.

But maybe I just made all that up while I was filling in gaps in the storytelling. Smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
^The cores seem basically like batteries that provide power for ninja suits and other tools.. I don't know if they're all the same (I think it was mentioned that they have different signatures), but in essence they seem like they're all about equivalent. So different brands of AA batteries for instance. Every ninja suit uses them and they don't seem to be special. The Iga's special ninja core is apparently an infinite power source (and other abilities if I had to guess based on the next episode preview) and that's what Koga's true goal is in starting this. They want the core so they can copy it and use it to power their robots, using them to take over the ninja world or something.

I'm not sure why the Koga still fear the NSC. Unless I'm mistaken, the NSC seemed like it was made up of all the ninja clans to keep everyone in check. Now basically all the clans have been destroyed by Koga except for Iga, so what's the threat? Even presuming everyone who joins the NSC leaves their clan and swears loyalty to being a neutral member of the NSC (regardless if they mean it or not), with no one left to keep in check, what power do they hold?
If they UN had two functioning member states left, would it really matter if the UN council had an issue with what the last two member states did with each other?

Quote:
Why does Ittoki think he can do this on his own?

I'm kind of imagining that Kousetsu and Tokisada will be doing most of the work and anything Ittoki does will be thanks to the special ninja core. Not a great plan I agree, but that's how I imagine it will play out. But yeah, it'd make way more sense to give it to Tokisada and just have those two go while Ittoki stays at home or leads the village to hide or something.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah this show friggin sucks. I really do not agree at all with the ratings the reviewer is giving out. By episode 3, it's just boring, tedious, and filled to the brim with unlikable characters. Why should I care about anything in this show? It's poorly written, poorly told, poorly directed, and while the animation can be decent, is just not all that visually interesting. What a boring waste of money, time, and resources.

Say what you will about Naruto, but at least Naruto knows what the audience wants and thrives on it. Shinobi No Ittoki is just terrible at what it wants to be as a show and story.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ittoki's climactic speech about how "life sucks, deal with it" was so hilariously awful. When all he had to say was something along the lines of "you could have had love and support from your brother, but chose to wallow in misery instead".
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
But then the final resolution is suddenly crammed into the final few minutes; it's not outrageous, but some of these ideas definitely could have benefited from having more room to breathe. The more I watched, the more I felt the burden of those early ninja school episodes and how little they added while sapping time from the final resolution here.

A hasty resolution seems to be all to common anime recently. Shows take all season to build up to a final episode that contains both climax and resolution, but the climax takes too long, and not enough attention is given to the aftermath.

The ninja school arc was cut off abruptly. The grand council of village chiefs featured ten character designs that were used once. Both feel like wasted potential.

I enjoyed this show overall, but it could've been better if the production planned out the use of resources and time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2