• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
I haven't seen the first episode, but I have read the first volume of the novel, and I'm super confused as to why everyone is describing MagiRevo as some villainess story, which I don't recall being a thing at all. I'm pretty sure it's not in any of the series marketing, either. The Prince is presented as the villain while Euphyllia is a victim. It's not some game world where Euphy was a villain, and reincarnated protagonist Anisphia doesn't see her as one.

It's not that Euphylliac is a literal villainess character, but that her predicament is very similar to a typical Villainess Isekai story line, where the established fiance of a prince or noble is thrown out to be replaced by a commoner girl who he's fallen in love with. It's very close to, stay, I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, where the lead character is misunderstood and villainized by other characters for her perceived nastiness.
pi8you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
I haven't seen the first episode, but I have read the first volume of the novel, and I'm super confused as to why everyone is describing MagiRevo as some villainess story, which I don't recall being a thing at all. I'm pretty sure it's not in any of the series marketing, either. The Prince is presented as the villain while Euphyllia is a victim. It's not some game world where Euphy was a villain, and reincarnated protagonist Anisphia doesn't see her as one.

I don't have too much familiarity with those stories, but regardless of how actually villainous they are, Prince Dumps Villainess Publicly For Kindly Commoner Girl While Accusing Her Of Nefarious Deeds has been pretty much a locked in staple of all of them that I have come across, so I was definitely feeling it here with Euphyllia.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hm -- nothing looks super interesting to me so far.

Also; didn't go over well the last time I made this request, but it would be really cool if the preview guide ratings-by-author were put somewhere in the main piece, so you didn't have to click inside each article to get a quick sense of which titles seem highly anticipated. May never happen, but a nerd can dream Shocked
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Florete wrote:

It's not that Euphylliac is a literal villainess character, but that her predicament is very similar to a typical Villainess Isekai story line, where the established fiance of a prince or noble is thrown out to be replaced by a commoner girl who he's fallen in love with. It's very close to, stay, I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, where the lead character is misunderstood and villainized by other characters for her perceived nastiness.

(By now I've seen the first episode)
I mean, I guess, but it feels really weird to treat it like it's part of the trend of villainess stories from the past few years when it's not presented in such a way and it shares maybe only a baseline attribute.

I haven't seen I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, but it outright says "I'm the villainess" in the title, so obviously that's meant to be part of the villainess trend. But Euphyllia is the "genius young lady" as per her series' title and the only place in which she's treated as a villain are clearly-false accusations. Disgraced nobility is not exactly unique to villainess stories.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
But Euphyllia is the "genius young lady" as per her series' title and the only place in which she's treated as a villain are clearly-false accusations.

Yeah, man. Same for Aileen in I'm the Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss. People aren't creating these parallels out of thin air.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
I haven't seen I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, but it outright says "I'm the villainess" in the title, so obviously that's meant to be part of the villainess trend. But Euphyllia is the "genius young lady" as per her series' title and the only place in which she's treated as a villain are clearly-false accusations. Disgraced nobility is not exactly unique to villainess stories.

The "Genius young lady" in the title is "tensai reijou" in Japanese, while "villainess" is the common translation of "akuyaku reijou", so there's some closeness even in the terminology. I admit I thought "villainess" at first too since the initial part of Euphyllia's appearance is much like the usual tropes mentioned by others here that I've seen in a lot of villainess stories, but really it's only the initial part with her.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Hm -- nothing looks super interesting to me so far.

Same; most of these sound awful so far. Vinland Saga might actually be my only sure-thing this season.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Besides, people should be taught at an early age to distinguish fiction from reality

I agree! Too bad that's not the world we live in right now and people are, in fact, influenced by fiction!!! I too support improving media literacy education!!!!!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Tomo-chan it's an interesting series, it's not super deep or anything but, it has actually a quite good plot twist (for it's genera) on it's second half that makes you recontextualize the whole thing.

It also has the "problem" of it being a particular serialization of 1 page chapters daily, so, you are supposed to read one sole page per day with a joke on it get you a chuckle and that's it, for example, episode one used like 65ich "chapters", the whole series will fit in the 13 episodes it has programed or you can read it in an evening if you wish.

Its also missing Carol who is quite important for the series´ dynamic and wont appear until episode 3.

Anyways, the series wont blow anybody's mind, it's a funny romantic comedy with very good gags with a couple of interesting plot twists for a romantic comedy, it's a 3-4/5 series.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Florete wrote:
But Euphyllia is the "genius young lady" as per her series' title and the only place in which she's treated as a villain are clearly-false accusations.

Yeah, man. Same for Aileen in I'm the Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss. People aren't creating these parallels out of thin air.

I do not, in fact, see "genius young lady" in the title "I'm the Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss."
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Florete wrote:

I do not, in fact, see "genius young lady" in the title "I'm the Villainess So I'm Taming the Final Boss."

It's a title, not a plot summary or character profile. There are, in fact, plot elements that are not directly stated in the title.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Its also missing Carol who is quite important for the series´ dynamic and wont appear until episode 3.

Yeah, Carol is both somewhat similar to Chika from Kaguya-sama, as a similar air-headed but sometimes suspiciously smart comedic character, but also as a fourth member of the main group that make the internal dynamic and interactions in the group much more interesting, just like Student Council in Kaguya-sama allowed it to be about much more than just main couple's war quest

The series may look like one-trick pony at the beginning, but the character interactions are its strong point, made more interesting because all the main characters are in different relations with each other, so it's a bit of situational comedy as well.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Florete wrote:

It's a title, not a plot summary or character profile. There are, in fact, plot elements that are not directly stated in the title.

In the line you quoted I was referring specifically to the series titles. Don't move the goalposts.

Edit: Also, they're light novel titles, so they may as well be plot summaries.

Edit again because apparently this is the only way I can say anything (assuming it works): I really don't know why you all felt the need to get hostile with me and put me on moderation over this. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by Florete on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like how Bungo Stray Dogs starts each season with a flashback arc. That's not to say I dislike the stories being told. My issue is simply with the story structure. These flashbacks usually feel rushed and out of place, and when you compare the first few episodes in a season to the rest of the cour (especially during season three), it feels like 2 entirely separate stories. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I wasn't an anime only viewer.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Tsurune 2 had a nice first episode. Good reintroduction to the characters. I’m excited for it season 1 was my AotY for that year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21