• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Symphonia RPG Gets Remastered Version for XBox One, PS4, Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I kid you not, I literally SCREAMED at this news! My favorite Tales game coming to the Switch?! Hell yeah! Can't wait to buy it!! This has been a good year for Symphonia, what with this and the OVA finally getting a release on blu-ray in North America. Very Happy
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I screamed so loud that my vocal chords are still a little sore all these hours later. I'm so freaking hyped!!
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This should be fun. I have heard though that the PS3 version had audio issues not present in the original GameCube version so I hope that is fixed here.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
This should be fun. I have heard though that the PS3 version had audio issues not present in the original GameCube version so I hope that is fixed here.

It was more than that. The PS3 version was based on the PS2 version which had half the framerate of the GC version, and they didn't bother to fix it. Wouldn't hold my breath that they fix it here either.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Mr. slicer wrote:

It was more than that. The PS3 version was based on the PS2 version which had half the framerate of the GC version, and they didn't bother to fix it. Wouldn't hold my breath that they fix it here either.
Same goes for the PC version. It was tied to the engine so even modders could not rise the locked 30fps without breaking it. At this point I will gladly sacrifice the PS2 extras if I can get the game at 60fps or higher.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
We're just about to get to Tethe'alla in a playthrough right now so my entire house is PSYCHED.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably feel differently if I hadn't already played this a million times, or if I didn't already own it for both GameCube and PS3, but I'm kinda tired of them re-releasing Synphonia when there are other games in the "Tales of" series which haven't gotten as much attention. That being said, I'm super happy for those who will be experiencing this game for the first time (or perhaps revisiting it). Symphonia is easily one of my favorite games of all time, although the nostalgia factor is certainly at play when I say that.

I've played Symphonia (and its sequel), Abyss, Vesperia, Phantasia, Graces F, Xillia 1 (lost the game before I finished it though), Crestoria, and Luminaria... so I still have a ways to go. I'm hoping for a remake of Destiny and Destiny 2 someday.

Anyways, today's Nintendo Direct was amazing. So much stuff to look forward to. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I love the game so it's a bit tempting but, unless there's more than just graphics and sound upgrades, I'm in the "my Gamecube still works and the graphics on the GC version still look pretty good to me so I don't need to buy the same game again" camp.

If it had the sequel as well, that would be a different story because I never got that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I love Symphonia! I hope they do the same for other Tales games.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:

I've played... Crestoria, and Luminaria.

I'm hoping for a remake of Destiny and Destiny 2 someday.

I'm sorry for your loss.

There's already a Japanese-only remake of Destiny for PS2 that we never get. And Destiny 2 was never released in the West too. I hope we get them both in the future.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I love the game so it's a bit tempting but, unless there's more than just graphics and sound upgrades, I'm in the "my Gamecube still works and the graphics on the GC version still look pretty good to me so I don't need to buy the same game again" camp.

Assuming this is the same as the remake we've already gotten on PS3 and PC, there is a decent amount of new content; there are new unison attacks, artes, mystic artes, titles, minor plot events, and costumes, and they fixed quite a few glitches that were in the GC version. If you're a big fan of the game and have only ever played through the GC version, I'd say it's worth playing through the remaster at least once.

As for me, I've already bought Symphonia three time and have played through it five or six, and I really can't see any reason to buy it again at this point. I really wish they'd re-release literally any other classic Tales game.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:46 am Reply with quote
I wish we could get some sort of collection of the older games, like the pre-3D entries, Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2 and Rebirth
Tenchi wrote:
If it had the sequel as well, that would be a different story because I never got that one.
I wouldn't recommend checking that out even out of curiosity. it's not bad, but it is mind numbingly boring. And really lazily put together, with half baked side activities.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:

I've played... Crestoria, and Luminaria.

I'm hoping for a remake of Destiny and Destiny 2 someday.

I'm sorry for your loss.

There's already a Japanese-only remake of Destiny for PS2 that we never get. And Destiny 2 was never released in the West too. I hope we get them both in the future.

Also, I'd like to add that there is a full English translation patch for Destiny DC, and Destiny 2 also has a translation patch that I believe is complete as well if you're willing to go that route in lieu of an official release as it seems like that might not happen.

Also yeah I'm not sure if I'd buy this I bought the version on PS3 with its sequel and unless they add new quality of life features to the game, like maybe being able to skip cutscenes or a feature that lets you check your affinity with the other characters, as the game does have a system where there are specific scenes with Lloyd and 1 other party member that changes based on this system. The game even includes a different ending based on this system Massive endgame ppoilers are inbound for this ending under the spoiler tag so read at your own peril. spoiler[If Kratos is in your top 3 for this affinity system, there's a point in the game where you can choose to have a conversation with him and if you do it unlocks this different ending which includes him joining your final party instead of Zellos who will instead be killed by the party for his betrayal] It would be nice to experience it without guesswork on how to improve my affinity with the character that unlocks this ending, and with a system to check how your affinity is with each character as well.

It also depends on the price as well, but I’ll probably skip this version of the game.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:

spoiler[If Kratos is in your top 3 for this affinity system, there's a point in the game where you can choose to have a conversation with him and if you do it unlocks this different ending which includes him joining your final party instead of Zellos who will instead be killed by the party for his betrayal] It would be nice to experience it without guesswork on how to improve my affinity with the character that unlocks this ending, and with a system to check how your affinity is with each character as well.

It also depends on the price as well, but I’ll probably skip this version of the game.

spoiler[thanks for reminding me, i gotta make everyone except Kratos hate me in my Switch playthrough LOL. I'm gonna have to pull out the old guides to make sure I do this right. ]
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:58 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Mr. slicer wrote:

Any idea why they was the case? I know the PS2 was a weaker system but I don’t remember it being that weak. Also, how were the load forms compared to the original?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2