• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
Think it’s my favorite Isekai that’s out new atm but that’s not saying much.

Yah, I've been disappointed in this season's isekai fare as well.

I was never all in on the Aristocrat one, and the introduction of the harem killed it dead for me.

The Second Time in another world one just made me yawn, and I didn't make it past episode three. For me, a large part of the appeal of isekai is the whole stranger in a strange new world thing, and having the OP protagonist be blasé and already familiar with everything severely impacted that aspect. Moving from one old/new character to another each week without spending any time developing any of them also made it hard to invest. There are ways to milk a different kind of tension from that particular plot cow, but to me, the show didn't really capitalize on them.

I'm not opposed to giving the Godless world one another chance, but I've had a hard time keeping up with the series I am drawn to, and I've yet to get around to it. The first episode was so all over the place without getting me to emotionally connect to any of the characters that I put the three episode rule on on hold.

The dead mount replay one was kind of interesting, but the low production values were a bit janky for me. The ambiguity was the most interesting thing about the show, but it was a bit offset by the fact that there wasn't really a character I was rooting for. I liked the first episode well enough, but for some reason, whenever I try to watch the second episode, something inside me goes "Meh."

I watch this show, but I watch it for the same reason that I watch a sharknado movie.
It's definitely a so bad it's good situation.

For me, the best isekai is "Hell's Paradise" and I'm not even sure if that show is really considered an isekai or not. If you count the island as a strange new world, it should be? On the other hand, if there are eighteen feet tall giants and pseudo immortal ninjas with fire arts and such, I'm not sure if you can count the world that the convicts come from as a projection of our world.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I caught up with this dumb show. It's ok. Yuuya is like a typical overpowered isekai protag combined with concentrated Kirito essence. The wish-fulfillment factor is just off the scale. And why does everyone just accept Yuuya's absurd superhuman feats instead of thinking he is an alien from Krypton is beyond me, but alas making sense is not this show's strong suit. The Mega boar kicking Yuuya's ass is only level 10 and then the King Mega boar is level 3. The god rabbit is level 4. And Yuuya is like level 200+ and his tiny dog is like level 500. Levels are just a random number in this anime but they do seem to go up. So higher should be better, except when it's not. For some reason. Sometimes the stuff that this show does makes me think it's a parody, but it's not.

If there's one thing that really irks me about this show, it's the direction. There's some really weird camera work in this. Odd zooms and shit. And I've seen this weird direction before. Apparently the director of this anime also directed So I'm a Spider, So What? and Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight both of which I remember having this weird direction too.

Edit: It came to me that maybe evolving resets the level but not the stats. But I dunno.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh good lord the direction... it's godawful. Usually that stuff blows by me so if I'm noticing it, you know its bad. There are so many times, especially during battle scenes, where I literally cannot tell what is trying to be conveyed.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:35 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
If there's one thing that really irks me about this show, it's the direction. There's some really weird camera work in this. Odd zooms and shit. And I've seen this weird direction before. Apparently the director of this anime also directed So I'm a Spider, So What? and Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight both oou f which I remember having this weird direction too.

I don't know about the director, but I heard or read somewhere that the author of this anime's source material is the same guy who wrote (writes?) Fruit of Evolution, which makes sense. Same fat loser becomes an overpowered stud muffin dynamic. Same lack of subtlety or attention to detail. But somehow, I find this anime's flaws enjoyable (not including the weird action flashes you mentioned) while Fruit of Evolution mostly bored or annoyed me to the point where I gave up on it.

I think it's maybe that Fruit of Evolution was supposed to be a semi-parody, but it was handled as clumsily as everything else so that the anime wound up on that hot sidewalk where shows that fail the suspension of disbelief test dry up and die.. This show playing it straight and never taking its foot off the accelerator is actually funnier IMHO.

(Kind of proud of how bad that hot sidewalk metaphor was).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
Ewww, compared to the traumatic second season of fruit of evolution this is like anime of the year. Fruit is a special series in that it has almost no redeeming features to actually like and the second season made that only worse. It actually still amazes me how awful that anime is. I have plenty to complain about I got a cheat skill, but it has an okayish story and manages to entertain.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh, now that was a weird episode and not in the way like the previous ones. This episode had no over the top feats of power, but the writing sure was something else. Kaori finding out about the other world felt not only very convoluted and easily avoided, but her reaction was also very unhuman like.

Yuuya his exploration of the capital and first town felt too short, it is wild to think that he is only starting to really explore in the 11th episode. Everything with the king just made him look like a barely functioning adult/manchild and the assassins were folded crazy fast.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Huh, now that was a weird episode and not in the way like the previous ones. This episode had no over the top feats of power, but the writing sure was something else. Kaori finding out about the other world felt not only very convoluted and easily avoided, but her reaction was also very unhuman like.

That's because Kaori has known all along that Yuuya must have hitched a ride on some kind of supernatural power train. Did you really buy that bit about her coming to find him at his old school, not knowing he'd been miraculously transformed? Puh-lease.

Now she's still acting all naïve and innocent, but inside she's thinking, all right! Now I just need to start leveling or whatever the hell this fool's talking about, and once I've become powerful and learned magic, I can leave Yuyaa's corpse in those woods beyond the fence and claim this house and all its treasures for my own.

Then, all Kaori has to...wait...what am I...where did that come from? Ohhh..

(So that's what happens when you listen to Blood for a moment
Wink )
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:36 am Reply with quote
As crazy and paranoid as that sounds, it makes more sense than how Kaori actually reacted. Her reaction to a different world, magic and all that type of stuff was basically like Yuuya confessed to secretly snacking on chocolate mint cookies. Also, I feel really bad for that one soldier. He has to deal with a very spoiled and bratty princess and the king is somehow even worse as an adult toddler.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:21 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
As crazy and paranoid as that sounds, it makes more sense than how Kaori actually reacted.

Gina Szanboti sort of pointed this out in a different context. This is the same show where Yuuya could stop a speeding car with one hand (probably to save the latest harem candidate), and people would look at the caved in hood and crushed engine block and go, "Wow, Yuuya! Do you do crossfit?" It would actually be more inconsistent for Kaori to have a normal reaction at this point.

But if it helps:

-Yuuya blurted all of this stuff out to Kaori because he's been feeling like a fake this whole time, and all the worship he's been getting has been eating at him. He feels like none of the people drooling over him really like him, they just like all the accessories he didn't earn or work for. It's a bit like lottery winners feel when they're suddenly besieged by admirers and people who want to be their friend. Yeah, Yuuya could have easily avoided telling Kaori, but he needed to talk to someone, and Kaori's the best choice. Since gramps died, Kaori's been the most unconditionally accepting person to Yuuya all along - the only person who reached out to him before he transformed..

As for Kaori's side of things, she's supposed to be some spacy genius who's been isolated from reality by her position. She's the kind of person who would have an easier time accepting other worlds than most, and maybe she's had questions about the impossible stuff Yuuya's been doing all along, she's just adopted a "Well, he'll tell me his secret if he wants to someday. The least I can do is respect his privacy since he's saved my life every other episode of this $%!+show."

We also don't know the story behind that mysterious voice that was pulling Kaori further into the house or how mystical that experience was. Maybe next episode, there will be a flashback, and we'll hear the voice saying "Kaori, I know this is hard to believe, but I'm Yuuya's absent grampa. Yuuya has been touched by another world, and it's very important to his emotional stability that you believe him when he tells you about it. It's time for you to step forward and claim your rightful place as harem wife number 1 and ignore any foolish people who obsess on yanderes or bigger boobs....

(I seem to have spent too much speculating about what authors were trying to accomplish in the last 24 hours.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Ah, Edjwald, so you too have discerned Kaori's true diabolic nature behind her angelic mask? Well done! Clearly, there is hope for you yet regardless of what all the other posters have been saying about you behind your back. Wink

Pro-tip for princes plotting regicide: you *may* want to make sure your personal crest isn't being carried by one of the assassins you've sent to do the deed. Just a suggestion.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 11

Ah, Edjwald, so you too have discerned Kaori's true diabolic nature behind her angelic mask? Well done! Clearly, there is hope for you yet regardless of what all the other posters have been saying about you behind your back. Wink .

So there are watch parties! I knew it!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
...with complimentary gift baskets! I'm trying to get you on the invite list... honest!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:39 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Gina Szanboti sort of pointed this out in a different context.

I did what now? Are you talking about the Dr. Stone thread? Question

I kept expecting him to revert to his former appearance when the anti-magic thing activated, but I guess that was a skill he acquired and not magic somehow? I couldn't remember how it was handled, and didn't feel like going back to see.

"I was just looking for the bathroom." Sure, Kaori, that's what all the spies say when they get caught snooping around. Something about that scene made me feel like this is the sort of secret you'd want to keep unless you trusted the person to the core with your very life. Kinda like, if you don't want it spread around after you break up, don't let your partner take nudes of you. Smile I just don't think he knows her well enough for this kind of confession, but then he doesn't seem to be the sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I did what now? Are you talking about the Dr. Stone thread? Question .

In my post, I was pointing out that when Kaori doesn't have a problem with Yuuya surviving collapsed malls, hurling himself forty feet into the air, stopping 300 pound charging hoodlums with one hand, having a puppy capable of pulling a full grown man...wow...I could honestly still keep going, but I won't...it would actually be out of character for her to start questioning reality now.

Earlier, you sarcastically objected to Yuuya having a soccer kick that somewhat obeyed the laws of physics, which stood out because all of his other feats like breaking a ping pong table by slamming a hollow plastic ball against it, etc were so over the top.

Which is why I said you sort of referred to the same principle earlier. I thought it was funny and remembered it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kinda like, if you don't want it spread around after you break up, don't let your partner take nudes of you.

Is this the voice of bitter personal experience speaking, Gina? Wink

Actually, I quite liked Yuuya revealing his secret to Kaori. First, it was unexpected to me. When a protag has a secret like this, the convention is usually that they keep it to themselves. Second, I liked that Yuuya feels guilty/abashed by the fact that all those who currently have a favourable opinion of him are swayed by his "cheat" version and not the "real" Yuuya. This show obviously doesn't trade in super realism, psychological or otherwise, so it's nice to see these little signs of, "oh yeah, that's an actual grounded, human reaction to something." And smart or not, it's kind of natural that Yuuya would want to share this other world with somebody rather than just keeping its existence to himself.

As for the in-world rationale for telling Kaori... you could argue that since she heard a voice, Yuuya would know that, in a sense, that other world is giving her permission to learn about it. Presumably if whatever force that introduced Yuuya to the other world didn't want her knowing about it, she wouldn't have heard anything and Yuuya probably understands that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8