• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It appears some of you are not appreciating THE GENIUS this show is demonstrating. Showing characters on screen, especially when there are lip flaps is expensive. The answer? Simply show backgrounds while people are talking. I mean, we already know what the characters look like, right, so what's the point of actually seeing them?

Okay, but seriously, normally a show in this much trouble would have done a recap episode to buy some time but this was WAY more hilarious. It truly was a masterclass of shit animation. If there is any justice in the world, this will be studied for the lulz for generations to come. Oi.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:06 am Reply with quote
It also makes me wonder about the final episode. It could be that they are going all in for an epic end and thus badly neglected this episode to make that happen. It could also be that the whole thing has turned into such a horrid mess that next week will end with a repeat of this week quality wise. Whatever the reason, this week was beyond awful, it is very rare to see an episode with such extreme issues actually air.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:22 am Reply with quote
Edited because a sentence got cut off for some reason

I wish more objectively bad anime could figure out whatever formula or ratio makes this one fun. It's a special kind of genius. The bottom line is, I agree with all of the stuff being said, and I'm legitimately looking forward to next show.

I will say that for awhile there, I was wondering if maybe the prince was actually a misunderstood patriot who was willing to trash his reputation if it meant saving the country from whatever horrors will occur when the princess takes the throne.

Oh, and what Gina said about the "versimilitude" discussion. It was never about the soccer ball, but I can understand how it might be hard to figure out exactly what it was about Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm, seeing that the upcoming last episode has moved 2 days due to production circumstances does not inspire me with a lot of confidence. As much as I like to joke about this show, I do hope it will not end up with the last 2 episodes being horrible quality wise.
me just saying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Hmm, seeing that the upcoming last episode has moved 2 days due to production circumstances does not inspire me with a lot of confidence. As much as I like to joke about this show, I do hope it will not end up with the last 2 episodes being horrible quality wise.

So that is why it did not air. I was wondering if was a major cliff ending or if there was going be a part two season starting next month.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Soooo, that was the last episode of Cheat skill. Animation wise it was not a disaster like the previous episode. There was a fair bit of CG, most of it not that good, but we did not have more talking forests and meadows thankfully.

Story wise the last episode was just as stupid/fun/idiotic as the rest of the season. The prince's backstory was a decent one, but him being healed just like that and him getting of with a slap on the wrist sure was something. Then there was Kaori who decided to blatantly disregard Yuuya's warning and head into the monster forest. Not just that, she heard the sounds of a big battle and thus decided to go there, endangering Yuuya. To wrap things up we had an ending bit showing Kaori interacting with the other girls and former evil archer girl now going to school in the non magic world. Also, those twins are still alive it seems.

In the end the best compliment I can give the anime is that it always manages to amuse with how stupid it is. The whole premise is one big wish fulfillment and in every episode people are falling over themselves because of hot/strong/smart Yuuya is. The events that take place are absurd (be it mr bear or evil model agency boss) and the story often makes little sense, but it has mostly good animation and like I said, it is amusing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Everyone sure moved on from Prince's crimes quickly, including the Prince himself... This was a show of large proportions of lameness: Absurdly self-indulgent, weird direction and just all-round poor writing. Gonna give it a Not really good rating.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 13 Everyone sure moved on from Prince's crimes quickly, including the Prince himself... .

That's pretty much a motif at this point. What Yuuya's brother and sister (twins?) did was inexcusable, yet, there were no consequences that I could see.

Luna tried to kill both the princess and even Yuuya in the fight that followed, and she became the princess' bodyguard.

You already mentioned the prince..

Then, the disciple of the divine archer gave herself to the vile and tried to destroy the entire world. The. Entire. World. Her punishment? To be sent into a high school system. Well, okay, that one might be fitting. .

I'm okay with having a protagonist who isn't a blood thirsty, revenge driven edgelord. But this show's no smell, no mess insta-redemptions aren't exactly carefully developed , thought out, or examined. Is that a deal breaker? Of course not. Let's take the opposite tack - what part of this show has been carefully developed, thought out, or examined?

That's clearly not what it brings to the table.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Edited because I didn't delete all of Smurky's quote correctly the first time.

smurky turkey wrote:
Then there was Kaori who decided to blatantly disregard Yuuya's warning and head into the monster forest. Not just that, she heard the sounds of a big battle and thus decided to go there, endangering Yuuya.

Just for the sake of my own sanity - cos even when I'm willing to suspend my disbelief with a shipyard crane for giggles, this show still pushes the limits on occasion - I am going to make the following assumptions.

(1) Yuuya did not leave the front door to a house with an interdimensional portal unlocked and cracked open. The same force that called Kaori into the other world unlocked it and cracked it open.

(2) Yuuya did not leave the door of the magic fence that keeps the other world's monsters out of his property swinging open. The same force that called Kaori into the world unlocked it and left it open..

(3) Kaori did not just stupidly wander defenseless into a forest full of monsters without even a table knife. The - say it with me - same force that called Kaori into the world was still tugging at her.

That's what I choose to believe anyhow.

(Hands firmly over ears. NYaaanhanahanahahanana I can't hear you Nyahnayanahaahana...)

Last edited by Edjwald on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
That's pretty much a motif at this point.

Touche.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Finale)

Since I'm basically lazy and see no reason to expend energy trying to come up with a fitting topline statement that perfectly expresses my opinion of this show, imma gonna steal something that Edjwald wrote above:

Quote:
I wish more objectively bad anime could figure out whatever formula or ratio makes this one fun. It's a special kind of genius.

Yep, yeah, yessirreebob.

I am fond of this show way out of proportion to its quality. It makes me suspect they hid some sort of subliminal messages in some of those wonkily "directed" segments. Or perhaps I'm simply losing my mind.

In any case, my sense of embarrassment won't allow me to rate this Good, so I'll officially go public with Decent but I actually enjoyed it more than that would indicate. How warped am I? Well, let me tell ya... Yen Press is releasing the LNs in North America and... I... might... just... buyandreadthefirstoneokay???

There are 10 Japanese volumes which means there is plenty of material to still adapt and if they did... So help me God... I'd watch it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In any case, my sense of embarrassment won't allow me to rate this Good, so I'll officially go public with Decent but I actually enjoyed it more than that would indicate. How warped am I? Well, let me tell ya... Yen Press is releasing the LNs in North America and... I... might... just... buyandreadthefirstoneokay???.

Yah, considering how much I looked forward to watching this anime every week, I don't think I'd have the heart to give it a bad rating. I enjoyed it more than decent anime that I'd give a 7 out of 10. But I don't think I'm capable of giving this one a good rating either. I'm certainly not capable of doing so without some kind of introductory explanation or footnote or symbol.

Like, for example, "Hello everyone. My name is Edjwald, and I am an isekai addict....."

Or maybe

I'd give this one an 8*

*warning, this anime is best accompanied by heavy drinking. ..

Or maybe

I'd give this one an 8? Embarassed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What'sherface is about to kill the prince and she's stopped by some random expert marksman from outside with an arrow and it's never addressed again. And somehow this was part of her plan to get arrows into the house so she could use them against the knights? What?

Did we get a kinda partial answer to this in this episode? I found the fight this time a little easier to follow, but still confusing - but wasn't there a thing where she had fired an arrow anticipating where he would be later in the fight or something like that? So all those arrows in last episode were her time-delay/prognosticating arrows? Not that that makes any sense either, but at least I'm pretty sure that she herself was the mystery archer.

Anyway, the animation was somewhat better than last ep (I don't think it could be worse unless it were entirely just storyboards), but there were still a lot of tight shots of eyes to avoid lipflap and that one weird sudden pan to the right to include Sir Bodyguard (can't remember his name) who just popped up, not to mention the even weirder superimposed reaction shots to his scars. Very Happy And lol at the prince apparently dragging around the guards roped to him to go check his reflection and then returning (off camera) to his seat on the floor like nothing happened. This show, I swear.

You know, the thing that bugged me most about Kaori was when she showed up at his house "to study." Girl, didn't he just tell you at school, "Gotta run, sorry!" when you already asked him? I guess that mysterious force pulling her has some seerious range, huh. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You know, the thing that bugged me most about Kaori was when she showed up at his house "to study." Girl, didn't he just tell you at school, "Gotta run, sorry!" when you already asked him? I guess that mysterious force pulling her has some seerious range, huh. Wink

Why (Koff) yes, of course it does. If a force can move between worlds, what's a few miles?

(I have so few illusions about this anime left intact, you see...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I love Gina's use of skeptical air quotes around "to study." My goodness, surely you are not suggesting that our sweet little innocent Kaori had anything other than academic pursuits on her mind when she showed up at Mr. Studmuffin's swingin' bachelor pad???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8