• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Villainess Stans the Heroes GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I've got so much on my manga and light novel plate, that I don't know if I will get to this one, unless the writing really hooks you in on the characters and plot.

I had to look at the dictionary to see what 'Stans' meant. Is 'stans' that popular a word to use today? I was born prior to the turn of the century, so maybe it is relatable to the younger generations. Otherwise it would be a poor word choice, making prospective buyers wonder what the series is about. Guess it might just be an age thing, cause you would think the editor would clearly look at the title, to ensure it wouldn't impact sales.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:00 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I had to look at the dictionary to see what 'Stans' meant. Is 'stans' that popular a word to use today? I was born prior to the turn of the century, so maybe it is relatable to the younger generations. Otherwise it would be a poor word choice, making prospective buyers wonder what the series is about. Guess it might just be an age thing, cause you would think the editor would clearly look at the title, to ensure it wouldn't impact sales.

It's pretty common slang, yeah.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:25 am Reply with quote
The original has ‘oshi’ in its subtitle, which is slangy enough that using ‘stan’ in the translated title isn’t particularly out there.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I've got so much on my manga and light novel plate, that I don't know if I will get to this one, unless the writing really hooks you in on the characters and plot.

Stan is actually derived from the Eminem song "Stan", which is about a obsessed, loony fan of his. The word is mostly used to describe obsessed fans. It is also sometimes referred to as a portmanteau of the words "stalker" and "fan".
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe this title got a full review. This premise isn't even new or interesting, I've seen it done multiple times already.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
I've never even heard of the word "stan" before (outside of it being a name), now I've seen it used in light novels twice in two days. How out of touch am I?
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I've never even heard of the word "stan" before (outside of it being a name), now I've seen it used in light novels twice in two days. How out of touch am I?

That depends. How aware on a scale of 1 to 10 are you of "Stan Twitter"? Or "Stan Culture"?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel like if you're kpop adjacent, you're pretty aware of "stan" as a slang term. So any big celebrity fandoms or any fandoms with tendencies towards faves tend to use the term--so like, recent TV show fandoms. Think anything more recent than Steven Universe, I'd say. If you're going back to BBC's Sherlock, you've probably gone too far back.

EDIT: Also, for the sake of those unfamiliar with the term, while the Eminem origins are correct, the term "stan" is much more endearing than its original definitions suggest. "We stan Pikachu" for example, is much closer to "We protecc Pikachu" in intent, if you're familiar with that online slang, conveying a sense of adoration and protection rolled into one. You're really just expressing your die-hard fandomness of PIkachu with the expression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1