• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TAF 2007: 5cm per Second Director Interview Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I was very dissapointed in his new movie, well the first part anyway. It was basically a nerdy guy being emo, and yes his other movies were like that but the characters were atleast more confident in themselves. Although the visuals are fantastic I think this director needed to put in a lot more effort into the characters as he does with the cinematography.
TrnksMystic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems unfair to judge the entire movie based on only the first section. This movie (like the others) are about growing up, so perhaps the characters do change and mature as the entire thing progresses. All I'm saying is that it's unfair to judge something out of context.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first part of 5cm was great, personally. A vast improvement over Place Promised. I didn't see it so much as a "nerdy guy being emo" as much as a person who was coming to terms with separation and growing up. I really identified with both the main characters, as I moved across the country and away from my best childhood friend during my first year of junior high as well. I understand how confusing and complicated those feelings are. The plot didn't feel forced or contrived, like it felt during the latter half of Place Promised, but heartfelt and genuine.

To each his own, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
setsuna_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I actually fell in love with the first part of this movie, the art direction is, again, absolutely stunning and is definitely one I'd like to watch and analyze more (in comparison to Place Promised.
I can relate to the main characters, and it is, if you think about it, a deep look into the minds of these two people as they go through their own worldly problems.

It, from the first part, is a movie where you just "get it." It speaks to one's heart and is full of promise.

I'm just waiting for a DVD release Laughing
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
I watched this interview - but not knowing Japanese ...... has there been a translation or summary anywhere?

Regards,
Nico M
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1