• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Uzumaki GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Uzamaki is one of my favorite manga series. I'll admit that it's kind of hit & miss, but when it's good, it's great: very Lovecraftian in its bizarreness.

To people complaining about the short story feel to Uzamaki, the story becomes much tighter and more focused starting with the end of volume 2. The result being that the 3rd and final volume is by far my favorite part of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Is this that Tomie re-packaged release?

The first two volumes have everything that was in the original Tomie plus a few additional stories that were left out the first time round. The third volume is made up of unrelated stand-alone short stories.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Uzumaki isn't a good horror story, but is still very creepy. Tomie was far better in the horror genre (even if the print quality truly sucked).

If you've already got the flipped version, there's very little reason to get these. If you haven't then give it a try.

JBV^_^
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

I've been interested in Hideshi Hino and Suehiro Maruo for a while, but the copies of their few translated works are so damn hard to find or else too expensive for used copies. (Sadly, Comics Underground Japan is also in the same boat.)

The Hideshi Hino books from DH Publishing should still be very easy to find, as well as LULLABIES FROM HELL. Hino is extremely uneven and tends to recycle his owns ideas a lot--parts of his THE COLLECTION are basically rewrites from THE RED SNAKE and THE COLLECTION also copies the faux autobiography style of his earlier and better PANORAMA OF HELL, and BUG BOY and HELL BABY are also very similar. But he's really good if you're into ironic, black humor, TALES FROM THE CRYPT, contes cruelles, grand guignol, type horror stories. "Laughing Ball" from COMICS UNDERGROUND JAPAN is the best Hino short story I've seen so far. There are a few excellent stories in all of the translated Hino collections but they also have lot of stupid and mediocre stories too. Suehiro Maruo is an artistic genius. I've only seen a few of his works, but I'm confident in saying that if it's by Suehiro Maruo it's going to be excellent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2