• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Moto Hagio Warns of Forged Drawings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
That's terrible, I hope the forger is caught and the buyer will be able to get their money back.

Looking at the pictures they're close to the artwork of the manga, but not exactly the same style.
Though if I had that much money I probably would have been caught up enough to make a bid too Shocked
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The giveaway that it's a fake is in the color of the paper.

The drawings, according to the auction, should be almost 40 years old (1974, right..?). The paper should look aged. Granted, the person could have practiced conservation methods on the item from Day 1, but with Japan's humidity and that not much was known about conserving comic artwork back in the 1970s, I would expect to see some damage like yellowing on the edges and things of that nature.

Case in point - I have a shikishi board signed and drawn by Machiko Satonaka from 1973. This shikishi board was originally white, but, with age and perhaps less than great preservation methods, it has turned tan - http://cutiebunny.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=332304

These pages look like they just came out of the shop the other day. They look fresh, and far too white to be almost 40 years old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1