• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Announces DVD Release of Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Even though Pokemon still manages to do well on Cartoon Network (but I think it was between Jan. 1999 and Jan. 2001 when it was at its popularity peak), one thing remains: the new dub cast. t The new voice of Ash, Sarah Natochenny, the wannabe actress, and others continue to taint the show. A lot of people felt that the 4Kids dub was better (a compliment to a company well known and criticized for butchering their shows). This is true. I hope the future of Pokemon in America gets worse until the fools at Pokemon USA realize the 4Kids cast is the true cast.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I quit watching Pokemon when the new dub cast took over. For "regular" anime such a thing wouldn't bother me because I could watch the subtitled version but for most "kids" anime like Pokemon there is no subtitled version so the dubbing is really important.

I also thought that Diamond & Pearl was animated and done in much lower quality than any previous season of Pokemon. But the Diamond & Pearl movies are animated at the same high quality level as all the Pokemon movies have been.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
After almost twelve years, this show is still running strong, that is impressive to say the least. Although I stopped watching this series years ago, I am surprized after twelve years people are still into this series.

I wonder if Poke'mon will last twenty years or even more at this rate? I remember the first time this aired on Kids WB 61 though, years upon years ago though.

I also wonder what ever happened to the orginal cast, as well if Team Rocket is still using the same line as they did years ago?

Looks like in the end, Poke'mon did beat Digimon though.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Looks like in the end, Poke'mon did beat Digimon though.

Which is sad, because even though I didn't realize it back in 1999, Digimon is definitely the superior show. The Pokemon games, however, definitely kick the Digimon's butt.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked both Digimon and Pokemon and think very highly of both shows. I think kids' anime is often underrated, ridiculed, and not given the respect it deserves by older anime watchers.

Personally though I think Pokemon was better than Digimon but I can totally see why one would think the opposite.

I doubt Pokemon is anywhere near as popular as it used to be since Diamond and Pearl started up, but yeah it's probably still a healthy series. I don't think it is surprising though that it is lasting so long, or why it caught on in the first place. It's because Pokemon was a product of creative genius. It's an anime in its own genre. There is no other anime that centers around animals or "animals as pets" out there. Therefore all people who like animals will like Pokemon and it has no competition.

Eventually the Pokemon phenomena did grow into the "you are my servant go attack for me" theme that is both so popular and so overused (in my opinion) today. But those other shows like Yugioh and stuff are not as animal focused so Pokemon remains the only member of its own genre today. It's too bad, I think there should be more animal anime out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1