• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Metal anime music?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I am trying to find some anime music my friends would enjoy and all they like is the heavy metal/rob zombie/eminem music with the real hard guitars and all that....

The only anime music i found that had a heavy beat to it (which eve i could tollerate) was Geneshafts opening (its cool!!)

any others out there??
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if these fall under heavy metal exactly but... they have guitars

Naruto's 2nd opening is what I like to call punk *the song is by a band called Kung-Fu Generation. Dunno it's name*
Peace Maker Kurogane's theme and ending theme fall under rock
Full Metal Alchemist's 2nd opening (Ready Steady Go) by L'arc en Ciel is rock

Oh yeah, check out any music from Black Heaven. That's all about a washed up guy and the heavy metal scene.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate to endorse it, I'd have to suggest the Dragon Ball Z music for the dub. All they ever play is heavy metal, techno, and some hard rock.

I, personally, think it's a bunch of crap. But not because I don't like heavy metal (I actually like System of A Down and Disturbed), but for the show itself, it's just utter compost material...

But if heavy metal's what your looking for, yeah. Go with that... (ugh! I hate that dub, I feel so dirty now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad)
diAmoNdsKy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:43 pm Reply with quote
hmm, both saiyuki's OPs n the first ending sounds cool though i personally do not like heavy metal
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
not quite anime, but you can pick up the Guilty Gear X Heavy Rock Tracks CD.. it's worth a listen.

tho, to be fair, i don't know how well it would compare to rob zombie et al, as i haven't ever (knowingly) listened to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Just forget looking in anime music, and pick yourself up some Dir en Grey. Cool It's Japanese, and I've officialy dubbed it in my mind "The Angel Sanctuary tv OST".
Dilandau

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="littlegreenwolf"]Just forget looking in anime music, and pick yourself up some Dir en Grey. {/quote]

If your gonna go that way, you might as well pick up Malice Miser as well!

...hmm..you can't really tell by listening, but aren't these both 'visual kei' bands?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:49 am Reply with quote
Never really been a Malice Mizer fan, but I love Dir en Grey.

I'd also suggest Pierrot, Gackt, Siam Shade, L'Arc~en~Ciel, & X-Japan, since all five of those have actually done some anime themes in the past (and it's some excellent stuff, to boot).

In terms of specific hard rock anime themes & soundtracks, "Miraiseiki Maruhi Club" by Kyoko (Boogiepop Phantom) and "eX Dream" by Myuji (X: TV Series) come up right away. Yasushi Ishii's Hellsing OSTs are musts, and The Pillows' work on FLCL (again, the entire OSTs, basically) are pretty good, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
In terms of specific hard rock anime themes & soundtracks, "Miraiseiki Maruhi Club" by Kyoko (Boogiepop Phantom) and "eX Dream" by Myuji (X: TV Series) come up right away. Yasushi Ishii's Hellsing OSTs are musts, and The Pillows' work on FLCL (again, the entire OSTs, basically) are pretty good, too.

Grr, you beat me to it. Mad Arrow Wink

Well anyway, Nagisa-sama is correct. At least go with the Hellsing and Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL soundtracks. They're not quite Rob Zombie type heavy metal material, but they're still pretty good overall.

Hellsing sounds a little like oldies rock, kinda like Jimi Hendrix or someone around that style. It's also got a lot of more modern sounding rock too and a little slow stuff here and there, though most of the tracks are pretty upbeat. There's a lot of electric, bass, and acousitc guitar, drums, and sometimes piano.

Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL, to me personally anyway, sounds like a mix between Weezer and The Foo Fighters. Pretty contemporary and uplifting when it wants to be, and just all out rocking at other times. It pretty much sounds like your basic rock band. Electric and bass guitar, some drums, and a lead singer.

But all in all, it's REALLY great stuff if you like any kind of rock in general.
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
I am trying to find some anime music my friends would enjoy and all they like is the heavy metal/rob zombie/eminem music with the real hard guitars and all that...

Isn't Eminem rap?

Anyway, as much as it's hated and bashed and everything, the DBZ music for the dub is pretty good.

O/T: You could also introduce your friends to some of the older metal bands like Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, bands like that. Ah, good stuff. Anime smallmouth
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:
O/T: You could also introduce your friends to some of the older metal bands like Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, bands like that. Ah, good stuff. Anime smallmouth

Yes yes yes! After all these years, the originals are still the best. Don't forget The Doors, Rush, & Pink Floyd, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Yes yes yes! After all these years, the originals are still the best. Don't forget The Doors, Rush, & Pink Floyd, too.

*runs around screaming the Immigrant Song by Zepplin*
I would so hope the guy has the basics down before he started looking to other countries for things inspired by them.
Yunamaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:39 am Reply with quote
I also think that the Bubblegum Crisis opening theme is hard metal, but I think that the end theme is much more symphetic. Keep searching 4 anime music man! Laughing

P.S I LIKE METALLICA
Evil or Very Mad
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:

Isn't Eminem rap?

Uh, yeah, a far cry from hard rock.

Anyway it should be interesting to see what (if anything) Samurai Champloon offeres up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, both "eX Dream" (X TV) and "Y'know" (BGC 2040) are at the top of my list for hard rock themes. You can also look for "Reason" by Yumiko Ozaka (Tekkaman Blade), "Through the Night" by Masahiko Arimatsu (Outlaw Star), and "No Future" by Nanase Aikawa (Zoids). They're not too terribly "metal" by American standards, but about as rock-y as anime music gets.

Of course, you could always pick up any of the Animetal albums, which are metal covers of anime songs. It's kinda cheatin', tho'. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3