• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical to Publish Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh man oh man oh man
This makes me so excited. Since I saw that Osamu Tezuka Marvel of Manga exhibition when it was at the Sydney Art Gallery, I've been dying to read this....
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Some people might think this announcement came out of nowhere. Others might think that it was the result of weeks if not months of planning and negotiations. But I think we can all see what clearly happened: we talked about how awesome Black Jack was, demanded that someone ought to hurry up and release the manga already, and the universe honored our request five days later. Why, by this clearly foolproof logic, perhaps talking about Legend of the Galactic Heroes is in order after all!

Regardless of how this came about, it's great that we'll finally get to see more Black Jack manga than the two volumes that Viz released so many years ago. The manga buying audience has grown quite a bit since those days, and I get the feeling that previous titles which had failed before would stand a better chance at succeeding now, such as Area 88 or Four Shojo Stories.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's quite retarded that the KING OF MANGA has hardly anything published in english. Personally, I want them to bring out the manga of Kimba and Wonder 3 as well.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I now do the happy dance! The NUMBER ONE item on my manga wishlist has been licensed! I will continue to sing Vertical's praises.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Best news ever. I hope we get wideban versions, though. I guess I'll donate my Viz stuff to the local library...But I figured Viz would be releasing Princess Knight here before anyone touched Black Jack again.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD.

I'm a huge Black Jack fan, but I've never read the manga. I own the OAV series, which is great, and I've seen parts of the TV series which was fun too. But neither really gave me much backstory on the characters, or managed to capture that mix of playfulness and seriousness that Osamu Tezuka has in his manga. I'm totally excited about reading this. ^-^
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Shocked *scream*
Praise Jenova! Finally! I've been waiting soooo long for someone to license the rest of this series! I'm extremely happy right now! This news coupled with the fact that MW by Tezuka comes out tommorow makes me ecstatic! *jumps up and down incessantly*
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Very cool. They had been hinting at Black Jack for a while -- if I recall there was an interview mentioning it around Dororo's announcement -- and now it's licensed.

Now all we need is a date!

Anime World Order wrote:
... I get the feeling that previous titles which had failed before would stand a better chance at succeeding now, such as Area 88 or Four Shojo Stories.

Uh, it's not so much the climate of the manga industry over here for Four Shojo Stories. That will never see the light of day due to legal issues. Click here.

Matt Thorn wrote:
I’m afraid it’ll be a cold day in Hell when Four Shojo Stories is back in print. Now that more than a decade has passed and everyone I knew at Viz has moved on, I suppose there’s no harm in revealing the truth behind the short shelf-life of _Four Shojo Stories_. Anthology paperbacks are all but unheard of in Japan (which is ironic, since almost all the manga magazines are anthologies), and the commonly accepted rationale boils down to “artist ego.” Viz had permission to do all four stories, separately, as comic books, but they never got or asked for permission to put them together in a paperback. When they asked me to write the intro, I asked, in surprise, “They gave you permission to collect these stories?” The editor (now retired) said, “If we ask them, they’ll say no, but if we go ahead and do it, they may complain, but what can they do about it? Pull the book off the shelves?” Well, that’s exactly what they (Shogakukan) did. When the editor in Tokyo responsible for these three artists (and who was later to become my colleague at Seika University!) found out about the book, he popped a gasket. The two top guys at Viz had to go to Tokyo and apologize. (At least they were spared harakiri. (Anime smile) ) As far as I know, there are a few thousand copies of Four Shojo Stories locked away in a warehouse somewhere in San Francisco. Meanwhile, if you want to get your hands on one of the few that made it into readers’ hands, you can buy a used copy through Bookfinder.com for a mere $60-$155. (Anime exclamation) Or you can take the cheaper route and download a scanned torrent at…um, never mind.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn: Money talks, and those shoujo titles will happen, if Viz waves enough cash in their face.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
This is the best damn news I've heard in weeks.

...I better pick up Ode to Kirihito sometime, come to think of it. And maybe MW.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hellkorn: Money talks, and those shoujo titles will happen, if Viz waves enough cash in their face.

Would it be worth it for Viz? Shoujo is a driving force in the market, but would the audience give a rat's ass about mature, atypical short stories that were created well before they were even born?

Of course some brave crusader could sneak into their San Fransico warehouse and steal those few thousand copies for the few hundred (if even that) who care about 'em...

I'm just glad I snagged a copy for $16.00 at Half.com a ways back.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn: If they seem to be fine with Princess Knight and the Takemiya stuff, anything's possible.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG! This is news I have been dying for. I now live for this. So freaking excited. My brain is going to explode. I love Vertical, please print more classics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
TIME FOR ME TO DIE HAPPY!!!!!!!(not really, but still...)

Once i gain all 22 volumes, i can finally call my ultimate collection quest complete!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3