• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Mikuru Asahina, Bunny Girl Version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I've got this figure, haha. But $50? Is that seriously what import stores charge? I got it for barely $20 in Japan.

She's really pretty, well-made, and the accessories are great. I wouldn't pay $50 for it, though! That's reserved for the really high quality statues.

The squishable breasts are hilarious. The back of the box says "Soft Material! Feel So Good!" in English. I saw a few figures like this in Japan. It doesn't make you worry about the country so much as the otaku community there, but it's still amusing all the same.

Mine was around $20, but the Japanese bookstore near here has them for $75... yeah... that's what I said...
JINROH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
Whats surprising is the childish outbursts from the 'staff',and the psuedo arm chair psychology,on the mindsets of those interested in such fare.

Not the squishy breasts on figurines from Japan.Or the fact that some collectors would want such a feature on the product.

What would have been nice,were links to stores that carry such
figurines,for those not in the know.

This place really has changed over the years,and sadly,not all for the
better.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
We'll add Japan to the countries that need therapy alongside Zimbabwe, Sudan and North Korea.

Because of a plastic doll? I'm not saying Japan isn't a negative factor in the world, in fact there are many things about Japan that absolutely disgust me, but this? No, I don't think this qualifies as anything to get someone's panties in a twist about.

dtm42 wrote:
Is nothing safe anymore?

People are being persecuted, tortured, and starved to death in the countries you listed, but you’re worried about a plastic toy?

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Look, you don't have to touch it anymore after you pose it..

Exactly. Either review it like an adult or don’t, but all this nonsense about “I willingly suffered indignity for the sake of the fans” gets old really quickly.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Used to be folks laughed at things like this or the old ADV jiggle counter. Why is it now it's some sort of call to arms?

Yeah, I'm not sure but it does seem as though people are going out of their way to act as disgusted as possible over nothing.

v1cious wrote:
i'm getting the creeps just looking at it.

Then maybe it’s time to stop?

Alien1375 wrote:
Please let a heterosexual guy do the next review of a girl shaped figurine.

It’s not about orientation so much as maturity of the reviewer. Either take responsibility for your own choices or don’t bother. You picked it. You bought it. You Reviewed it. Enough with the “against my better judgment” type chatter.

Alien1375 wrote:
Somehow I doubt that those comments had anything to do with the poster's sexual preferences. It IS NOT necessary to have squishy breasts on a toy. I think most people not into that sort of thing would agree.

What I don’t get is why so many people who are “not into that sort of thing” are both reviewing and reading about “that sort of thing.”

Kyogissun wrote:
I mainly wanted to show it to a friend because I laughed my ass off when I first saw it. It's that whole 'paying top dollar for a piece of crap' kind of issue.

Everything outside of a handful of necessities is generally overpriced in Japan. Finding something questionable and then mocking the price is kind of redundant when dealing with Japanese novelties.

dtm42 wrote:
A while ago on ANN, well...... Eh...... Explaining it just isn't enough. I've got to show you. This link is not safe for work, so if you get fired, don't come crying to me. Avert thine eyes. (At least the nipples aren't raised as much as I remember; now that would have been sick.)

For someone who’s supposedly so grossed out why are you posting links?

Michi wrote:
I've got this figure, haha. But $50? Is that seriously what import stores charge? I got it for barely $20 in Japan.

Yeah, what a rip-off. $20 + $2,000 and we could all be buying them in Japan. Sounds like a super-deal to me.

Michi wrote:
It doesn't make you worry about the country so much as the otaku community there, but it's still amusing all the same.

Otaku-style freaks are in every country. What makes Japan different are the BUSINESSES that cater to them.

JINROH wrote:
Whats surprising is the childish outbursts from the 'staff',and the psuedo arm chair psychology,on the mindsets of those interested in such fare.

100% Agreed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
You know the oppressive future has come, when the absence of "lol" or "j/k" in a post is taken to mean you're being serious. daxomni, my tone in those posts was light, as can be inferred from the over-the-top content of said posts. I would never even contemplate comparing Japan to Zimbabwe in such a blanket way, unless it was part of a joke.

Perhaps I should start using emoticons, though I find them rather distasteful in most situations.

O Funniness, Funniness, wherefore art thou Funniness?
Deny thy Humour and refuse thy Laugh;
And if thou shalt not, be but sworn to Smile
And I'll no longer be a Deadpan.

Is nothing safe anymore? Not even my humour?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3