• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-10-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
They usually are if its a big name VA.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been to 5-6 anime-specific 'cons in my day, mostly smaller ones. Even at the smallest 'cons the autograph lines for the more popular English VAs can be quite significant.

And if you want to get a good response from the VAs when you get their autograph, bring a DVD cover featuring a role they voiced. Especially if it's one of their personal favorite roles, you can often get some nice bonus comments. (I've only done this a couple of times, but it worked beautifully both times.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
MBF wrote:
Wait...did they say anything about UMD getting an Hi-Def release at that convention?

Friggin' Blu-ray baby.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. Maybe it;s because of the thoughts that American working in anime is magic.

I much rather meet and be a director if I ever finish animation. Crying or Very sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Though if I had the opportunity to meet Johnny Bosh, I'd be extremely tempeted to say "Its morphing time". If anyone actually understands why, then they deserve praise.

LOL! I miss watching that! I mean spoiler[Power Rangers] was awesome... until season 6, then i gave up because it just sucked afterwards Sad

Wow, I am actually surprized anyone stills remembers that shows. spoiler[ Though if you ask me, after the Zeo season, the show became eventually reclyced.] Major kudo's, because at someone remembers that era.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Clever one. Jerry gets all the gals. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Though if I had the opportunity to meet Johnny Bosh, I'd be extremely tempted to say "Its morphing time". If anyone actually understands why, then they deserve praise.

Johnny wants to get away from that image. As much as he likes getting praise from his long previous work, seems like he is tired from those jokes. Last time I talked to him about that, he just seems like it's just getting tiring. Anyhoo, I got a "It's morphing time" out of him! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MBF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
I pretty much watch the original versions nowdays, but to be fair... only one of the new PR shows that disney has done actually kept most of the original storyline intact and that was Dekaranger, aka Power Rangers SPD.

@Risky
Did they say how much it was going to be and when the street date was?
Kiriska

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
I think the language barrier has a lot to do with it. After all, if the only thing you can stutter out is a shy "hajimemashite," it's not much of a meeting. On the other hand, you can actually converse with American VA's, so that's probably why a lot of kids go for that.

On the other hand, when creators host panels and Q&As with a translator rather than just having signing sessions, plenty of people show up. CLAMP's appearance at AX for example...
inu-liger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And if you want to get a good response from the VAs when you get their autograph, bring a DVD cover featuring a role they voiced. Especially if it's one of their personal favorite roles, you can often get some nice bonus comments. (I've only done this a couple of times, but it worked beautifully both times.)

Very true!

I had my Evangelion Platinum boxset (thinpak edition) as well as the single for Vol. 1 autographed by Tiffany Grant, along with Matt Greenfield last year, and they wrote 'bonus' comments of sorts Smile
On the Vol. 1 cover, Tiffany drew an arrow pointed to Shinji, and wrote "Loser", as if Asuka was writing her thoughts, hehe. Matt wrote something like "Asuka's nice, but guess who #1 is? (Look on the other side of the box)" on the boxset, lol!
Akukaze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
MBF wrote:
@Risky
Did they say how much it was going to be and when the street date was?

I heard that they were just releasing the 7th movie on Blu-Ray in a double-pack with the new PS3 UMD Cleaning Sim game (tentative title: Mop to the Top!! 2). Can anyone confirm?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
They are Heretics! Shocked

Seriously... why a dub actor over a creator?
Fandom is a beast I may never truly understand.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Even if God him/her/itself came to Pupucon Jerry Morgan would still have the crowds.. Fame is fickle, life's not fair, etc.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
I suppose I'm not a big enough 'super fan' but I never really saw the point in autographs and 'meet xxx' sessions.

Yay I got some writing...or...what do you talk about with Satoshi Kon? Really just gushing over his work doesn't good conversation make and why would he care about you anyway, are you really that interesting a person? I know I'd just feel like he was humouring me.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Fwiw, I'd probably give my left nut to have coffee with Satoshi Kon. And I don't even drink coffee.

I drink coffee & I'd still give my left nut to sit down with him for a bit. My dream about VA's: To sit down for 5 minutes with Jamie Marchi & Mamiko Noto (Witchblade VA's) & explore... uhh, the similarities & differences in how they voiced Witchblade.

Yeah, that's the ticket. BTW, sometimes Kevin's right: "There is no God." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Does this imply that American VAs are more popular than anime staff from Japan?

Seeing that one VA has a bunch of fangirls calling themselves the "Risembool Rangers" and another has the "Miniskirt Army," ya think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6