• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Get Backers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randomfanwoman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if there's already a thread for this. (I searched everywhere to make sure there wasn't one.) I didn't find any, so I figured I may as well start one. (the only active community that discusses this anime is on LiveJournal, but most of what is discussed/posted is fansmut of the yaoi variety.)

I've not read the manga yet, but it's on my to-do list. I heard it's even better than the anime was.

Anyway, there was something I wondered about Akabane. What is the point of him having stigmata-like marks on his hands? I know the origin of stigmata and all that the symbolism entails, so that's why I don't get why Akabane has them.

Also, did anyone else think that the final fight b/tspoiler[ Ban and Akabane came down to who had the larger Freudian symbol. I mean, it was Freudian right down to Akabane's broken Bloody Sword at the end.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Akabane's stigmata is just one of those things that was added because it looks cool. Remember the whole thing about The Last Supper and Judas during the IL arc? Was it anything other than an elaborate way to bring up the subject of a traitor in the group? Could it have been replaced with a regular discussion of the topic without referencing the Bible and well-known classic Western artwork? If anything, it's purpose is to demonstrate that the characters are more worldly than their roughshod roots would imply, but I think mainly it's to distinguish the series from so many other shonen slug-fests.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit of a GB fanboy myself so I always love a nice topic on them. Been making to make a thread myself and had one planned but I never posted it. But I digress. They never really say why so you're left to come to your own conclusion really. I think personally they are a bit symbolic in regards to Akabane. Especially since he was a doctor who saved lives and now takes lives. That's just my own particular theory and line of thinking. I would highly suggest the manga as it is WAY more in depth then the anime. Half of the second season almost isn't even from the manga but completely original to the anime as well. The manga really fleshes them out more. Especially Ban. The anime always seemed to focused on Ginji and his past at infinity fortress. And they never even say exactly where he came from either. One of the best parts of the manga is the fight scenes are more expanded and visually stimulating. If you liked the anime at all you'll enjoy the manga a lot, if not more.
randomfanwoman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
You know, I've wondered if those marks were some sort of anti-Christ reference, sort of like an Anti-Ginji or something.

Anyone else think that it's odd that Ban's arm is cursed by the Greek God of medicine? Wouldn't that give him the power to heal people as opposed to ripping them to peices. (Sorry, just being logical.)

However, I'm not so sure that Christian symbolizm separates one anime from another because Japanese animators/manga-ka LOVE Christian symbolism. While they do use Shinto/Buddism, it seems that every single anime has some of this in there.

Any other comments, responces, ideas, just throw 'em out there.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
randomfanwoman wrote:
Anyone else think that it's odd that Ban's arm is cursed by the Greek God of medicine? Wouldn't that give him the power to heal people as opposed to ripping them to peices. (Sorry, just being logical.)

Curse: 1. An asking God to bring evil upon. 2. A profane oath or imprecation. 3. That which brings or causes evil or trouble. 4. The evil or trouble.

Bless: 1. To declare holy, consecrate. 2. to ask a blessing for. 3. To favor or provide. 4. to bestow happiness upon. 5. To praise or extol.

If the God wanted it to be a good thing, then Ban would have been blessed. Curses are always bad...unless it's the Devil and even then it probably ain't such a good thing either.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Akabane was actually a doctor at one point? I don't think the anime ever mentioned that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Akabane was actually a doctor at one point? I don't think the anime ever mentioned that.

Hence why you need to read the manga. Wink He's not called DR. Jackal without reason heh.

As for Ban's arm it's actually supposed to be in reference to it as the "13th astrological sign" Ophiuchus. Which means the "serpent holder" so you get his snake bite attack. You learn through the manga spoiler[how his grandmother was one of the last living true witches in the world and how she plays the part in him having his powers. ]They're not fully explained but enough to where you get the jist of it and can imagine.
randomfanwoman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
This manga's on my list of things to get with my next paycheck.

Anyway, I wish they had gone into the whole Dr. Jackal spoiler[past, and how he makes his knives with his blood. It would have made Jackal's statement at the end of ep. 4, where he talks about losing too much blood, make more sense. no blood=no weapons Plus, if they went into his past, we would get why he calls himself Dr. Jackal.] Heck, if they can give Hevn an episode, they could have given him one too. And the only reason I know any of Dr. Jackal's past is because of the miracle of Wikipedia.

Yes, in case there is any doubt left in anyone's mind, my favorite character is Akabane. I even cosplayed the guy at my last con.

True, Ban's arm is cursed, but it's wierd how it is cursed, because it is cursed with awesome. (i knowthere's a tv trope for that.) It's just that the choice of Greek god used is a bit strange... ah well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
It wasn't them using it as a representation of the Greek God. It's the one major constellation that isn't a zodiac sign and (though they haven't exposed all of his past) I am theorizing the zodiac and astrological signs were important to his grandmother's form of witchcraft.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
randomfanwoman wrote:

Curse: 1. An asking God to bring evil upon. 2. A profane oath or imprecation. 3. That which brings or causes evil or trouble. 4. The evil or trouble.

Bless: 1. To declare holy, consecrate. 2. to ask a blessing for. 3. To favor or provide. 4. to bestow happiness upon. 5. To praise or extol.

If the God wanted it to be a good thing, then Ban would have been blessed. Curses are always bad...unless it's the Devil and even then it probably ain't such a good thing either.
Not necessarily:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CursedWithAwesome
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlessedWithSuck

Besides, these are Greek gods we're talking about.
randomfanwoman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
That's why I wondered about why they chose that particular god. If they chose an oni or something, i'd get the idea, but why the Greek god of healing?

Psycho101, your theory makes the most sense.

Maybe it's like Akabane's hands... we will never know....[/spoiler]
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
randomfanwoman wrote:
That's why I wondered about why they chose that particular god. If they chose an oni or something, i'd get the idea, but why the Greek god of healing?

Maybe this may help? Anime catgrin
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
randomfanwoman wrote:

Maybe this may help? Anime catgrin

And just because in Greek mythos Ophiuchus might be the son of Apollo and a healer per se doesn't mean they can't go a completely different direction in the anime. As if they would EVER do something like that haha. Plus in a way it does fit. I mean there are a few times we see Ban use the Evil Eye to give a pleasant dream/closure and not just a nightmare. While this power is separate from his Snake Bite I would imagine both stem from the same source.
randomfanwoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And just because in Greek mythos Ophiuchus might be the son of Apollo and a healer per se doesn't mean they can't go a completely different direction in the anime. As if they would EVER do something like that haha. Plus in a way it does fit. I mean there are a few times we see Ban use the Evil Eye to give a pleasant dream/closure and not just a nightmare. While this power is separate from his Snake Bite I would imagine both stem from the same source.

Ah yes. I agree that they probably come from the same source. That is also the best explanation I have heard. I looked up Acephilus (or however you spell that), and that's why it didn't make sense. (Let's screw with both Christianity and Ancient Greek religion...yay!)

You know, maybe Akabane was skewered by a magical walrus and that explains his hands. (Just don't ask... I think it showed up in a dream.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1