• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Your and My Secret

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I picked this up at Tokyopop's garage sale per someone's recommendation--maybe Deb Aoki's? Anyway, I loved it. Hilarious! And I'm so mad that it fell short by one volume of being completed. I'm tempted to read the scanlation (and I hate them) for the last volume just to see if the machine ever got fixed or what.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Bwahaha, I was laughing like a fool all the way through this column. Great writing, Jason! The third paragraph about sums up why I love Ai Morinaga and all the wrongness of her manga (the cover of the 7th volume is another good illustration of the point). She's so gleefully cruel to her characters. I find myself rooting for them, rooting against them, sympathizing in their pain—and laughing all the while. It is a shame that the two-volume Strawberry-chan is the only one of her titles to have a complete run in English... but all her series are still very much worth reading, even without a conclusion. (after all, the main thing is the humour and gags. I'm not even sure how much resolution I can expect from the last volume of Your & My Secret.)
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Bwahaha, I was laughing like a fool all the way through this column. Great writing, Jason! The third paragraph about sums up why I love Ai Morinaga and all the wrongness of her manga (the cover of the 7th volume is another good illustration of the point). She's so gleefully cruel to her characters. I find myself rooting for them, rooting against them, sympathizing in their pain—and laughing all the while. It is a shame that the two-volume Strawberry-chan is the only one of her titles to have a complete run in English... but all her series are still very much worth reading, even without a conclusion. (after all, the main thing is the humour and gags. I'm not even sure how much resolution I can expect from the last volume of Your & My Secret.)

Yeah, I haven't read the ending of Your and My Secret yet, but gender-swap manga comedies generally tend to have inconclusive endings. But the parts I *have* read are delicious throughout.

It's nice to meet another Morinaga fan! I kinda get the feeling there actually aren't many of us, and this is why Media Blasters is the only company (out of 4) that's managed to finish a Morinaga series. -_-
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
Morinaga is great. I actually like Hockey Club more than Your & My Secret, though--it's such a great send up of typical reverse-harems, shojo romances and sports manga. It's the manga that everyone claimed Ouran High School Host Club was supposed to be! (Ouran started taking itself seriously and slowly morphed from parody into typical shojo romantic comedy pretty early on).

I'm still hoping Kodansha USA will bring the series out of stasis one day...
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
hey now, I actually like Maria Holic, sometimes you want snark and cynicism

also what's this about comic blade ruining ADV manga? what's the story behind that?
simside

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm a ridiculously huge fan of Ai Morinaga. I love authors that can humiliate their characters so thoroughly, and she's one of the best. It really makes me sad that most publishers don't seem to survive long enough to finish her series in English.

Your & My Secret is probably my favorite of what I've read, mostly for the reasons you've mentioned. I don't know why I never really got over the novelty of Akira and Nanako being more suited to their new bodies, but I especially liked that nobody cared except Akira, and even he seemed to have phases. I love the gross-outs best in this one, too. Morinaga is really perfect at that kind of gag.

Also, on a tangent, I was puzzled by the smut in Adekan. I'm not sure how to put it, but the fact that it completely lacked romance left all the missing clothes and contorting male bodies with no context for me. I mean, the story and characters acted like none of that was going on. Like that was completely normal behavior for an action/mystery manga. It made me think I was the one with my mind in the gutter.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
simside wrote:
Also, on a tangent, I was puzzled by the smut in Adekan. I'm not sure how to put it, but the fact that it completely lacked romance left all the missing clothes and contorting male bodies with no context for me. I mean, the story and characters acted like none of that was going on. Like that was completely normal behavior for an action/mystery manga. It made me think I was the one with my mind in the gutter.

Adekan is the smuttiest thing ever, and TOTALLY done for the LOLs. It made me feel dirty too. No emotion + no actual explicit sex = bleagh. IMHO at least.
giseki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
for a second i thought this was about about milk morinaga but soon realised i had made a mistake and stopped reading
sakurablossoms23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
This manga is so good. Does anyone know how it ends?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations if I liked this manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1