• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Copyright Law That Allows Equipment Seizures Signed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Politics on ANN, serious business.

Please people, refrain from the election and government BS. This happens so many ****ing times, it's really annoying. I go here for an escape from this crap.

I don't think this is going to affect us like people think it will. The vagueness in the law itself will be at an advantage to both the government and the people. We have the patriot act after all, right? Or whatever the thing is about lack of invasion of privacy?

A few big companies might take advantage of this, but either the people who actually get in trouble will be just as scarce as they are now... Or they won't be able to make lawsuits as easily as they think they can.

I'm not saying don't go right along and keep filesharing and stuff... But this doesn't meant destroy your computer either.

People here sure do fly off on rants at the drop of a hat, myself included... But seriously, everyone, chillax.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Sure they both had something to do with it, but he signed it in the end. he could have killed this like he kills everything else.

Even still, either way if this election goes wrong I'm moving out of the states. And even if it goes right I'm still done. And no, I'm not going to Japan...yet.

The bill passed 410-10 which is about 30% more than the 2/3 they would need to overturn a veto so it would have been pointless. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If these past 8 years haven't proved to you that nothing is simply pointless then I don't know where you've been. But good luck with that. Anime industry or not people have though that oh this is nothing. Look what happened to the world economy the past two weeks. Gas prices that have finally gone down only to make certain people look good right before election day. There is so much thats not pointless.

But yeah thanks for that.

Yeah politics and anime don't mix. Unless its FMA. Smile I'm good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
The government has no place sticking its nose in civil law cases.

Uh, they still are. They have a part of the bill where there is an "IP Czar" that will report directly to the president, which has slightly pissed-off the Justice Department seeing that it's circumventing their role in government.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Even still, either way if this election goes wrong I'm moving out of the states. And even if it goes right I'm still done. And no, I'm not going to Japan...yet.

Yeah, good luck. That's what a bunch of people said if George Bush were to have been elected for his second term. And when he did get elected, did they all leave? Haven't heard high or low about that, AT ALL.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
fighter: That's because he wasn't really elected. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: That's because he wasn't really elected. Rolling Eyes

Oh? Do tell Rolling Eyes
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
My only worry on this matter is how far will they go. The government has already shown time and again that it can't put limits on itself. It will nose into anything if given the right incentive.

Now I agree that copyrighted work should be protected for a period of time for the creators sake. I don't think we need a government sponsored IP police force running around. It makes it sound like file-sharers are on the same level as terrorists.

Thats is my 2 cents.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Um, Republiscum have been running both houses for the past eight years. There might be issues with sellout Dems like Rockefeller, but I imagine the ones who wanted to prosecute people for individual songs and even sue people are the Republicans. After all, they've also given us the War on Drugs and the torturing of innocent people for being Muslim and/or Arab.

I'm sorry, who just so happens to be the Speaker of the House right now?

Is six (technically 12, going back an administration) a larger number than two?

Anyway, it's stupid to erupt in fear mongering over this and point fingers. Unless someone can adequately support an argument as to why this will lead to a noticeable increase of petty lawsuits while ignoring the real problem at large, then I don't understand the paranoia.

(Also, Moomintroll, if you're reading this: do you find the timing here interesting?)
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Cait wrote:
The government has no place sticking its nose in civil law cases.

Uh, they still are. They have a part of the bill where there is an "IP Czar" that will report directly to the president, which has slightly pissed-off the Justice Department seeing that it's circumventing their role in government.

I have to wonder what an "IP Czar" can really accomplish, though, considering the government can't bring lawsuits against IP infringers themselves.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
LoL the government wants to go to war with the internet now? We can't even win the war on drugs, or terror, and now the internet? At least you can shoot a drug dealer, or a terrorist, but the internet will shoot back, with images of you doing strange things to little boys.

Thumbing my nose at the government on this one, let's rock!
RedTail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh please, people... Such equipment would already be seized if it were used in the commission of a criminal act. It's especially true in the case of drug deals. Cops seize some really nice cars from drug dealers a lot of times. The same principle is only being extended to civil law. No biggie.
cetriya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok so they'll have a bill which basically makes it legal to still visual art work just cause the art work is not watermarked and paid registered but they'll seize any electronic that might (with no prior proof) have a pirated material?

Where are they getting the money for all this? I want some...
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
double post that wont delete

Last edited by Batman3777 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Oh please, people... Such equipment would already be seized if it were used in the commission of a criminal act. It's especially true in the case of drug deals. Cops seize some really nice cars from drug dealers a lot of times. The same principle is only being extended to civil law. No biggie.

Woah, careful there. You're trying to inject logic into this "the sky is falling" argument. You're playing with fire, now! Laughing

It's all a conspiracy, dontcha know

I don't know why any of you bother responding to gatsu, anyway. 6000+ posts of crap, and you're either surprised or interested in trying to change his mind... why? Shocked

This bill is, at worst, redundant.

Last edited by Batman3777 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I just thought of this, you might as well save yourself the trouble and just start moving now, if you're so up for moving out of the country. I'm sure you'll find the lifestyle of where ever you're going great, if you can adjust to the culture shock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5