• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shoujocon 2004 Cancelled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, that's not indicative of the shoujo market as a whole...
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It can't be. If domestic manga sales are anything to go by, shoujo is still a growing genre. It seems to me that something has gone awry among con administration, at least in terms of finance.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There is no accounting for incompentence.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that this is a big dissappointment. Hopefully, the spirit of Mizuki Takase is not hovering around the failures of Shoujocon.

Hopefully, if Patachu is right, the chain of command gets yanked before 2006 rolls around.
astra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
My first con ever was Shoujocon in 2001 (I think) I remember it being really great although I had nothing to compare it to. Last year, I dragged my friend to Shoujocon and I was amazed at how horrible it was. It was stuffed in the back of a hotel rather than out front and center like the original Shoujocon. The dealers room, artists alley, events were all tiny.
There were lines for everything at Shoujocon 2001 so I guess that means there were lots of attendees. At the recent Shoujocon I only saw a few people milling around. Its really kind of sad. Shoujocon was a wonderful convention with a focus on anime for girls. Theres definitley a market for this stuff but I suppose the planning was botched.
nagashi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
Shoujocon's lack of success in 2003 wasn't really due to lack of planning or mismanagement. There was a rather severe incident in 2002 which can't really be blamed on the convention that caused attendance to drop very very sharply in 2003. This aparently caused a severe enough funding shortage, plus a bit of staff infighting over who was responsible leading to the current very sad situation.

Shoujocon was one of my favorite cons, and I'm very sad to see it go. I can only hope that in a few years someone finds a way to revive it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1