Gundam Seed Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Released Monday
posted on by Andrew Osmond
Anime Limited will release the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed on Monday May 31. The release was previously scheduled for December 2020, but delayed due to the wrong masters of the series being supplied by Sunrise.
The Ultimate Edition will be a one-time print run. There will be a separate release of the HD Remaster version of the series, but not until late 2021 at the earliest. The set includes 13 Blu-ray discs in total, containing the following:
- The 48-part Gundam Seed HD Remaster series in English (with the new dub) and Japanese; 1080p, HD Native
- The 50-part original Gundam Seed on standard definition Blu-ray in English (with the original dub) and Japanese with English subtitles; 4:3, 480i. This version is exclusive to the Ultimate Edition. It includes two recap episodes, 14 and 26, which were both omitted in the remastered version above.
- The set will also include the three Gundam Seed Special Edition compilation films (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Special Edition) on standard definition Blu-ray, in English (original dub) and Japanese; 4:3, 480i. These three films are exclusive to the Ultimate Edition.
- There are two hours of on-disc special features including Mecha Animation Director HD Comparisons; six “In This Era” Video Featurettes; Director's Concept Music Videos; Character Theatre Shorts; and Gundam Seed Epilogue – After Phase: In the Valley of Stars.
- The set also includes a 120-page art book with Characters, Mecha and Gallery sections; a 34x40cm poster; and thirteen art cards.
The company summarises the series:
"Year 70 of the Cosmic Era. The Coordinators, a group of genetically enhanced humans, have moved into colonies orbiting the Earth. But that hasn't quieted the tensions between them and regular humans; the conflict soon escalates into a full-scale war. On the neutral colony of Heliopolis, Kira Yamato, and his friends are going to school and just being kids. But when the ZAFT commando forces attack, Kira's life changes forever.
"Left with no choice, he and Federation officer Murrue Ramius are thrown into battle in a prototype mobile weapon, which Kira christens “GUNDAM.” Now, Kira must defend himself and his friends from his own people. For, unknown to anyone else, Kira is a Coordinator. And the enemy he faces on the battlefield is his childhood best friend, Athrun!"
In the U.S., Gundam Seed was the last Gundam series to be aired on Cartoon Network, due to faltering ratings. It was also the last Gundam toy line available in the U.S. market, as most retailers stopped carrying the line after an oversaturation of Mobile Fighter G Gundam toys.
In December 2011, Sunrise remastered Gundam Seed in high definition and added new footage to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the series.
MVM will release a Blu-ray of the TV anime version of the Kandagawa Jet Girls multimedia project. MVM previously Tweeted that this Blu-ray will be uncut in the UK, with an "18" certificate.
MVM describes the anime's story:
Rin Namiki's greatest ambition is to follow in her late mother's footsteps and compete in Kandagawa Jet Racing, where teams of girls on jet skis race while firing high-powered water guns to slow their competitors' jets (and blow off their clothing!). But since there's no jet racing in Rin's remote fishing village, that means moving, all by herself, to a girls' school in faraway Tokyo!
Meanwhile, Misa Aoi dreamed of becoming a great player, but those ambitions floundered until Rin transferred to her school, displaying astonishing skill for a newcomer. Is it fate? Now they "only" have to resurrect their school's Jet Riding Club, endure brutal training, and face some seriously skilled rivals… but even the toughest tasks are easier when you're doing something you love with someone who's quickly becoming far more than just a friend!
Hiraku Kaneko (Tsuredure Children, The Qwaser of Stigmata) directed the series at TNK (High School DxD, Doreiku The Animation). Go Zappa (Nekopara, Beatless) was in charge of series composition. Tsutomu Miyazawa (Samurai Girls, Soul Buster) designed the characters based on original designs by Hanaharu Naruko (Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-).
Cast members Yū Sasahara and Riko Kohara performed the opening theme song "Bullet Mermaid." Azusa Tadokoro performed the anime's ending theme song "RIVALS."
Kadokawa, Marvelous, and EGG FIRM announced the multimedia project in July 2019. Marvelous and Honey∞Parade Games developed a PlayStation 4 game for the project.