• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

Your statement is only justified if the downloader in question is watching pirated versions of shows that are legally available elsewhere (as in, simulcasts or close to it). I wonder if there are REALLY that many people doing it anymore? I mean, I used to watch a LOT of fansubs because there was such a huge gap between the original air date and the dvd release, but now I stick to legit streams if they're available. With all the simulcasts and whatnot these days are there really that many people who are fansub-only?
Yes. Two words: geographic restriction.
Also legal streams aren't advertised well and can be much harder to find than the fansubs.
If I was in the US I doubt I'd need the fansubs, excepting things like Macross.
Quote:

...Furthermore, a lot of fansub streaming sites are kind of sketchy. Wouldn't most people prefer to go somewhere they don't have to be worried about spyware and the like?
Fansubbers don't (normaly) stream releases, due to the quality issues, and t's a waste of bandwidth compared to downloading it.
Sites like what Crunchyroll used to be (profiting off fansubs made by someone else) do that.
Graddick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
But there already is a website devoted to the promotion of the anime industry.

It's called ANN.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:
It's called ANN.

Yeah, but I heard it's run by a bunch of elitist anti-moe snobs who hate anything popular.

/sarcasm
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I do buy moderately substantial amounts of anime, mainly through RightStuf and Amazon, and what I don't buy I either rent through Netflix, or stream through Crunchyroll or Hulu. Thus far, the only series I've gotten fansubs (or other downloads) of are unlicensed series that would likely never be licensed in the US (Legend of the Galactic Heroes), or series whose licenses have lapsed, are out of print in the US, and are too expensive to buy second-hand. For example, I found the first 3 boxed of Patlabor TV at my local convention... for $75 - that's only a quarter of the series, and is well out of my price range. However, the show had been licenced by CPM, which is gone, and their license may have expired before their demise. The show is Out of Print, and likely will never be relicensed. So, if I want it, I either have to pay more then I can afford, or, look for fansubs.

That said, I don't own a boxee box or anything, and enjoy watching anime on my nice big TV over my small computer monitor - so I get the DVDs first.

Consequently, I support the efforts of this group, and plan to register when they're accepting registrations, though I may not agree with all of the people they have speaking for them (Greg Eyres goes a bit too far for my tastes, and a few voice actors I've heard speak are even against streaming services like Crunchyroll and YouTube - notably Kirk Thornton).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
She doesn't buy, she doesn't support, so she isn't entitled to an opinion. People like this are far below any of us so they really aren't worth your time.

I think I'm pretty much done with this forum. Doesn't matter, I mean I haven't been here long, but if being a fan of anime means being a [expletive] elitist prick like above, I think I'd rather find a more accepting community.

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. And yeah if you avoid all legal means to watch and read (like the troll I pointed out) then I'd have the same opinion of you. This person does not support legal streams or any approved method. They have made it clear in earlier posts.

Pirates aren't entitled to opinions (especially those that live in NA and choose to be that way). Those are the "elitest pricks" you are referring too. End of story.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
pantsmca wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
She doesn't buy, she doesn't support, so she isn't entitled to an opinion. People like this are far below any of us so they really aren't worth your time.

I think I'm pretty much done with this forum. Doesn't matter, I mean I haven't been here long, but if being a fan of anime means being a [expletive] elitist prick like above, I think I'd rather find a more accepting community.

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. And yeah if you avoid all legal means to watch and read (like the troll I pointed out) then I'd have the same opinion of you. This person does not support legal streams or any approved method. They have made it clear in earlier posts.

Pirates aren't entitled to opinions (especially those that live in NA and choose to be that way). Those are the "elitest pricks" you are referring too. End of story.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Stating someone doesn't because someone watches anime differently from you makes you an elitist prick.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
pantsmca wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Stating someone doesn't because someone watches anime differently from you makes you an elitist prick.

Defending those pirates, eh? Let me guess, you also think bootlegs help the industry? Rolling Eyes

...guess so. Any way you look at it, there is absolutely no reason for someone in NA to go about illegal methods to view anime. FUNimation and Crunchyroll have gone far out of their way to give us free and affordable streams for pretty much EVERY SHOW out there. Can't make enough to buy DVD's? That's cool, because theres FREE, legal stuff online. No more dark ages. No more fansubbed VHS tapes. No more excuses.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graddick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:

I heartily recommend that you do just that. But don't go too far. ANN can always be fun for watching a horde of uptight tweens desperately seek out a sense of self-importance by condemning all who disagree with them.

Drop by once and a while, express apathy about the anime industry, watch ensuing firestorm, chuckle heartily.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Defending those pirates, eh? Let me guess, you also think bootlegs help the industry? Rolling Eyes

...guess so. Any way you look at it, there is absolutely no reason for someone in NA to go about illegal methods to view anime. FUNimation and Crunchyroll have gone far out of their way to give us free and affordable streams for pretty much EVERY SHOW out there. Can't make enough to buy DVD's? That's cool, because theres FREE, legal stuff online. No more dark ages. No more fansubbed VHS tapes. No more excuses.

Not defending pirates.
Never said bootlegs help the industry.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I've stated in this thread at least once or twice that I watch things legally and buy shit when I can. I download what doesn't get a simulcast or licensing treatment. (ie- Madoka this season for example, Bakemonogatari - basically most shows by SHAFT, but this is just a few examples.)

Again, never once said I support pirates, but to each his or her own. If you pulled that from my post, I doubt your comprehension of the English language.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
If I hear one more person say "Piracy isn't sharing online, it's people on seaships bucaneering!" my eyes will roll into the back of my head and become permanently lodged in my brains . The usage of the word has evolved since the 17th century, and is appropriate in this case.

It's evolved? Try telling that to the real world. Anyone in the real world. Tell the police that you download anime. I guarantee you, they won't care. It doesn't apply to reality.

Mass sharing from a few uploaders is not piracy. Normal people do not know that term anyway, and what it consists of.

Sharing does not equal Piracy.

Piracy is not Sharing! Stupidity , hear/say, conjectures and poor analogies are all anyone seen to come up with. It's pathetic.

Let's see some solutions.

The same bastards for the last 25 years have been saying the same thing. Guess what.

Nothing happens.

Piracy is when you are profiting from stolen goods. Even then the pirate runs out of stock eventually. Until then.

Last edited by OtakuExile on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:

Again, never once said I support pirates, but to each his or her own.

I never once said you did.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
pantsmca wrote:

Well the way you 'supporters' prattle on about how bad fansubs are, it's more or less "WELL IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH US, YOU MUST AGREE WITH THEM."
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
pantsmca wrote:

Well the way you 'supporters' prattle on about how bad fansubs are, it's more or less "WELL IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH US, YOU MUST AGREE WITH THEM."

Okay, I've lost you Confused Care to rephrase?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Paploo wrote:
If I hear one more person say "Piracy isn't sharing online, it's people on seaships bucaneering!" my eyes will roll into the back of my head and become permanently lodged in my brains . The usage of the word has evolved since the 17th century, and is appropriate in this case.

It's evolved? Try telling that to the real world. Anyone in the real world. Tell the police that you download anime. I guarantee you, they won't care. It doesn't apply to reality.

Mass sharing from a few uploaders is not piracy. Normal people do not know that term anyway, and what it consists of.

Sharing does not equal Piracy.

Piracy is not Sharing! Stupidity , hear/say, conjectures and poor analogies are all anyone seen to come up with. It's pathetic.
Of course its piracy.

(1) Copyright piracy, since the term was coined, refers to flouting the creators rights to say who does and who does not get to make a copy of their work. There was a recorded early instance of the use of the term "piracy" for copyright infringement before the first copyright statutes were actually passed:
Quote:
Banish these Word-pirates, (you sacred mistresses of learning) into the gulfe of Barbarisme: doome them euerlastingly to liue among dunces: let them not once lick their lips at the Thespian bowle, but onely be glad (and thanke Apollo for it too) if hereafter (as hitherto they haue alwayes) they may quench their poeticall thirst with small beere. (1603)

(2) Mass sharing is flouting the creators rights to say who does and who does not get to make a copy of their work.

(3) Duh.

When you try to single out piracy through mass sharing from piracy by other means, what precise distinction where you trying to make regarding piracy by mass sharing versus piracy by other means?
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
and we have completely derailed from what the original topic is at hand. WEEE!!! Isnt the internet fun guys!

I'm more confused on how a website got so much publicity here without really doing anything other then registering a domain name and putting some news articles up. People have gotten so angry here for no reason at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11