• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Manga Artist Plans to Sue Blogger

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burning Lizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
Wait...what!?

So this guy thinks he can sue anyone that doesn't like his work? Or is he doing this on the grounds of libel? Because I'm pretty sure that I'm allowed to not like things, and say so as well.

Just goes to show that this douchebag doesn't have the spirit of a creator. If you don't like negative reviews, then don't read them. Or if you actually want to improve, then listen to the criticism and decide what is valid and how your work needs to improve. You do not sue someone for saying your work is no good. If that's your gut reaction then your work can't possibly be that good in the first place.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The most significant complaint that the blog makes is that the manga plagiarized Yagyū Reppūken Renya, a historical manga that Takashi Noguchi serialized in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in 1992.

I'm no legal expert in my own country let alone in the Japanese system, but they're probably looking at defamation. Kind of drags your name in the dirt a bit if people are saying your work is stolen from an existing work. So it seems to be more than 'hey your work sucks'.

I guess it comes down to how popular the blog is and such. I imagine it must be at least reasonably popular for them to bother, forgive my ignorance on that front!

So it sounds crazy but more information is really needed before we can start calling people douchebags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaricore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Nope, he's a douche for sure.
Needs to just suck it up an go on with life.
People who sue their fans and critics are useless.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
If Hollywood had done this, we can assume he copied it off the manga, right? Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
Um.. did you miss the whole part where the blog accused the creator of plagiarism? If such an accusation is baseless, yeah, that's cause for a libel suit. Of course we've seen cases in the past where blogs have posted plagiarism claims that proved true and the publisher pulled the series. Not that this is the case here, mind you. It could be a blog making stuff up, which is technically worth suing.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
It seems pretty damn petty to sue someone for dissing your comic book on the internet. I agree with those who stated that this kid needs to suck it up and work harder next time.
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
There's not enough information here to make any sort of judgement call. Still, I see that hasn't stopped people from indulging in name-calling. Can't we bet a little more civil?
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Burning Lizard wrote:
Wait...what!?

So this guy thinks he can sue anyone that doesn't like his work?

Word for word what I was going to type... Unbelievable story. A lot of critics should deserve the capital punishment if we follow his reasoning...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
There's not enough information here to make any sort of judgement call. Still, I see that hasn't stopped people from indulging in name-calling. Can't we bet a little more civil?

You can't blame people for being outraged. The definition of slander is different wherever you go, but most people would view the suing of a blogger for making bold claims (whether true or not) as an overreaction. In the past we have seen lawsuits backfire as they make the original claims far more widely known than they ever would have been on the original blog. You may know the behaviour as the Streisand Effect.

It is legally dubious to sue in the first place (depends on where you are and how much money you're willing to spend), and morally wrong. The Manga-ka and publisher should both chill out, people say crap on the Internet all the time, and few take them seriously unless a company lends weight to those claims by trying to sue people for making them. Which leads me into the third problem, the publisher is actually just making the very thing they want suppressed more famous and out in the open.

I really cannot see a winner in this scenario. Pity really. Anyway, moral of the story is, while name calling is a bit juvenile people are right to be outraged.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Um.. did you miss the whole part where the blog accused the creator of plagiarism? If such an accusation is baseless, yeah, that's cause for a libel suit. Of course we've seen cases in the past where blogs have posted plagiarism claims that proved true and the publisher pulled the series. Not that this is the case here, mind you. It could be a blog making stuff up, which is technically worth suing.

Then again, people constantly make comparisons with many forms of media.

Avatar has been compared to numerous films regarding the environment and culture clashes. Yet I have never seen James Cameron once going after the film critics who make such comparisons for libel or defamation.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
This kinda reminds me of that one self-published author who got pissed off at some book reviewer and her e-rage went viral. Happened earlier this week.

All I have to say is this:

LOL
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
Apparently law suits are cheaper and easier than proving your critics wrong in Japan. Rolling Eyes How hard is to just say, "no, you're wrong and here's why"?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what manga is Yagyū Reppūken Renya, so its impossible for me to comment on that. I guess one thing is criticize a manga and another accuse it of plagiarism. Anyway, still no news about that new Code Geass anime?
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
As much as I'm a fan of everything Geass-related, this is pretty silly. Hopefully he can get back to work on Renya asap.
Chunx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
remember folks, it might be the context of the blog that led to his decision. We don't know how the blogger wrote his comment on the manga, or how sensitive the mangaka really is to such things. If it took him a substantial amount of time to announce a lawsuit, I'd rather like to think that he made the decision after considerable deliberation with his staff. Hell, it's not even his IP to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3