• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Old Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I thought the ending to the manga was a complete let down. If a story offers a great ride, but has a clumsy resolution, I'm usually pretty forgiving. But what triggers Goto to get locked away is so incredibly lame that to this day I still feel bitter for having bought the series. When I got to the reveal, it felt like the author was flipping me off.

I guess the fact that I got so angry says something about the power of Tsuchiya's storytelling. The series has a solid start and even though some pretty implausible things happen, I was engrossed. But the ending.... Unforgivable.

I'm curious about the movie's ending. It seems like it stuck with you in a good way.

Quote:
But I still can't clear my mind of the horrible, wonderful, different, absolutely perfect ending of the movie.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey! This series was among my summer manga reading this year (thank you, local public library!). I enjoyed it for sure, and agree with how engrossing it was. The art was also very good! But... yeah, the ending's not easy to reconcile with. Maybe after 8 suspense-ridden volumes, I was expecting something kind of "epic". Instead, it kinda felt a bit anticlimatic; I think I actually had to double-check a few times to see if volume 8 was truly the last volume ("That's it!?") . In the context of it being a "small" and more "personal" story, perhaps it was among the more fitting ways to end.... but even so, Kakinuma's's reasoning for his pesecution of Goto still felt somewhat underwhelming/lame, and hasn't particularly stuck with me. Also, the little epilogue seemed to end with a hook for a non-existent continuation, what with spoiler[Goto's ominous nightmare and him declaring something along the lines of "This war is still not over." And so the adventure continues... Rolling Eyes ]

The film sounds like a cool, more visceral alternative. Hope either the libraries around here in Saint Louis or up at TSU has the movie... knowing their respective tastes, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I've been looking forward to this column more and more these days, as I wasn't really a manga guy, but I've yet to be disappointed by the recommendations (though my wallet hates me even more these days because of it.) And now I have another one to seek out. Thanks for the great columns, I'm really enjoying it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
And the Hollywood adaptation will be based on this. Laughing

Can ya blame them if they make changes?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I thought the ending to the manga was a complete let down. If a story offers a great ride, but has a clumsy resolution, I'm usually pretty forgiving. But what triggers Goto to get locked away is so incredibly lame that to this day I still feel bitter for having bought the series. When I got to the reveal, it felt like the author was flipping me off.

I guess the fact that I got so angry says something about the power of Tsuchiya's storytelling. The series has a solid start and even though some pretty implausible things happen, I was engrossed. But the ending.... Unforgivable.

Agreed completely. The series started out great, but around the halfway point the plot just started to become increasingly convoluted and way too unrealistic (not to say it was realistic before, but at least I could suspend my disbelief) and the final revelation was so incredibly petty that the whole thing became just ridiculous, which wasn't helped by the fact that it was played completely straight and serious. A disappointment.

Oh well, at least the art was good...
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Easily one of my favorite manga.

Great art and a good suspense story. The obsession of the man who had Goto locked up is one that has lurked in his mind for years and his wealth allows him to carry out his task. Goto refused to be devoured by an urge for vengeance, which accounts for the relative lack of violence in the story and greatly contributes to the tension.

I also greatly enjoyed seeing the neighborhood on the East side of Shinjuku Station depicted so well. I even cringed when Goto vomited on the steps of Hanazono Jinja.
simside

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
I thought that the Old Boy movie was so good that I couldn't bring myself to read the original manga, because I was afraid the ending was changed for the movie. And I'm the type of person who will seek out even the worst backwards manga adaptation if I liked anything about the movie/anime.

I also really, really liked Astral Project, flaws and all. I was thrilled when I learned that Old Boy was written by the same person, but even that didn't convince me. My favorite part of the movie is that horrible ending, and to find the ending of the manga is not only much different, but very disappointing, is the kiss of death for me.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
simside wrote:
I thought that the Old Boy movie was so good that I couldn't bring myself to read the original manga, because I was afraid the ending was changed for the movie. And I'm the type of person who will seek out even the worst backwards manga adaptation if I liked anything about the movie/anime.

I also really, really liked Astral Project, flaws and all. I was thrilled when I learned that Old Boy was written by the same person, but even that didn't convince me. My favorite part of the movie is that horrible ending, and to find the ending of the manga is not only much different, but very disappointing, is the kiss of death for me.

I have to admit, I prefer the movie ending too. Although in a way, the manga ending is even more depressing (in a sad/existential rather than horrifying/awful way)... but even so, there are several plot holes in the end which are frustrating.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyone else besides me who actual prefers the manga ending? I think if you take a deeper look at the manga ending
you'll see it really isn't lame at all.

The thing you have to understand was that the bad guy
is three things

1. EXTREMELY JEALOUS
2. EXTREMELY PRIDEFUL.
3. EXTREMELY LONELY

The bad guy wanted to be like the good guy. Some people think the bad guy was in love with the good guy but I think this is just yaoi
fans wanting the manga to be a yaoi manga. From my perspective
the bad guy clearly hated the good guy's guts. But even so, the
bad guy wanted to be like the good guy and why not? The good
guy was basically Mr. Perfect. It may be hard to understand
if you are a Mr. or Mrs. Perfect but not everyone is blessed
with perfection. People idolize those who are better than them.
The bad guy idolize the good guy. He wanted to be the good guy.
The bad guy hated who he was because he was a nobody.
Again if you are Mr. or Mrs. Perfect you may not understand the
feeling that some people have of wanting to actually matter.
Think of how many people wish for fame and glory. It's because
they want people to recognize them and remember them.
Very few people wish for an empty funeral. People are social
creatures and no man is an island. So it should come as
no surprise that the bad guy who didn't really matter would
be so envious of the good guy who was the life of the party.
So as you can see the bad is extremely jealous and lonely.
When the bad guy sang a song in class and was laughed
at by everyone he was embarrassed. But when the good
guy cried for him he was completely humiliated. So why
did the bad guy make such a big deal out of it? Pride.
Here we have this lonely and pathetic bad guy who
envies the perfect in almost every way good guy.
The good guy then cries at the bad guy. The bad guy
sees this as an act of pity. Pity crushes a person's pride.
A great example of this is Gon Freeccs from Hunter x Hunter.
When Hisoka punched him in the face in the Hunter Exam
it was more than just getting punched in the face it was
that Hisoka pitied him and made a mockery of him.
Gon wanted nothing more than to get revenge and punch Hisoka back. That is pretty much how the bad guy felt. Except unlike
Gon the bad guy is far more twisted in his revenge scheme.
Gon just wanted to punch Hisoka because he's simple minded.
The bad guy however wanted to make the good guy suffer.
However the good guy was able to maintain his cool.
Seeing how he could never succeed in his revenge and
could never be like the good guy the bad guy kills himself.
Put simply the good guy shamed the bad guy and the
bad guy then kills himself rather than face his defeat.

It's an awesome ending in my opinion because the bad guy's
motive is actually very understandable once you get it but
yet you can still see the error of his ways. And the good
guy stays consistently awesome because of his strength of will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1