• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ouran High School Host Club Manga Gets Live-Action Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, a Live-Action Film? My sister saw the live-action show and started to yap about how the actor playing Tamiki is ugly as hell and questioning whether the director or producer were blind
luhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
This is nice, I guess, but I would much rather have some more anime of Ouran. I tried watching a little bit of the live-action TV show and...no, just no for me. Actual humans simply can't capture the fabulousness of the Host Club.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Live action Ouran? *shudders* I agree. It's almost impossible to make the pretty-boys of the Host Club plausible with live action actors. I say, "No thanks," to this one. I too would rather see more anime produced.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well i can see FUNi looking to get this film since it's likely to be cheaper than the TV series.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The Ouran drama is very... silly. I don't think I've ever seen a drama that used so many comics-like special effects on live action characters before (Tamaki's heart literally beating out of his chest, Haruhi's words literally smashing him into a wall, etc.). It's not the best drama on this season (understatement) but at 25 minutes it fills the gap between my weekly fixes of the other shows I'm "seriously" watching (that'd be Zenkai Girl, Protect the Boss, and Scent of a Woman for the record). I'm not sure it merits a movie but, A.) they've already got the cast assembled & costumed, and B.) Yamamoto Yusuke is pretty popular so it can't be that expensive to make a film. I look at it as somewhat of an extended episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mannyperson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The live action is....interesting. It's not the worst, as I'm keeping up with it for now, but the special effects bother me, especially how they keep shrinking Hunny. It's a bit too over the top for my personal taste.

I do have to say that I don't think the cast is too bad. The actor for Tamaki holds up his own (I'm sure it's difficult to translate Tamaki's outrageousness to live action), and Haruhi's actress makes a convincing boyish girl. Not as defining as the cast for Hana Yori Dango, but they do well enough.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
Im actually really enjoying the drama, I think it captures the heart of host club well even if its a little cheesy. But I still dont know if that warrants a movie, especially if it's a different cast that the drama thats already going. Cant we just get another anime they want to work with Ouran so badly?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Eh....I was not fond of the Drama. I found Hana-Kimi's Drama to be more enjoyable then Host Club's version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
I think I'm one of the few who loved the live-action drama. Seriously, I don't get you guys complaining about wanting more of the anime or even complaining about Yamamoto Yusuke's appearance. Sheesh, at least be happy Sakamoto Maaya (Haruhi's seiyuu) was casted to be the narrarator or that Bisco Hatori was the one who was watching over the screenplay writers so they wouldn't screw up!

The live-action covered some stuff from the manga in a 25 minute episode format, despite having only ten weeks to pull this off. Besides, if you guys at least watched the 2nd Episode, aka, the Physical Exam one, hopefully it would try to change your mind. Because...The Takagi twins are the best at portraying Hikaru and Kaoru... Especially since they do practice the role...at home.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1