• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for answering my questions.

I've heard of Gainax's...chequered history with tax "avoision"....

...but what's this about drug use?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
A lot of praise for Redline, and it is a shame that Madhouse obviously spent so much time and money on creating it, and yet it didn't even sell 5k copies its opening week. Then again, that's pretty standard for the Madhouse indy stuff. It's just that this was probably the most ambitious of their indy stuff.

Really, really surprised that Zac hasn't watched Penguindrum. It has been amazing thus far. Not sure if it it'll be licensed. It's not the type to.

What is kind of funny about Dororon Enma-kun is that although it's a (in my opinion - well done) remake of a popular Go Nagai franchise, it tanked horribly in Japan. I don't think it even mustered 1,000 copies per vol. But I'm so thankful that it got licensed here regardless.

Also, while I'm sure House of Five Leaves is a great show, I'm really crossing my fingers that Tatami Galaxy is the unannounced license. There has to be something from Yuasa that is available here, and Tatami Galaxy is easily one I can see most anime fans enjoying (whereas Kemonozume and Kaiba would be for a rather slim niche).

I'd also be one of the 8 who would buy all of Touch. I wish Yawara! was fully released as well. Sadly it wasn't to be.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Zac, you ruined the flow of my question about older animes you would all like to see licensed... I said non-license rescues and you brought up Fushigi Yuugi, which then made everyone else talk about rescues. Oh well, at least you brought up some good conversation from FY.

Also, Justin, if only "8" people will buy Touch then there might be hope that it could be fully released. TokyoPop once said that the B't X manga was only being bought by "8" people, and in November of last year the final volume came out, just months shy of TP's death. So have hope! And I would probably buy Touch, as it has had my interest for a while.

As for the idea of obscurity... Hell yes does obscurity still exist! If it didn't then I'd have no reason to run a blog called "Land of Obscusion" that focuses on forgotten and obscure anime. Hell, find anyone outside of me, and a rare mention from people like Daryl Surat, talk about Ring ni Kakero 1. It's a great show, yet it's so obscure outside of Japan, even with complete english fansubs existing for the first two seasons, that when Season 3, Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow, debuted last year there weren't any raw rips while it was airing on PPV. In fact, English fansubs didn't start coming out until the beginning of this year, due to the DVD being used... And they still aren't finished, even when the fourth season, Sekai Taikai-hen, has already fully aired this past Spring and just today the third and final DVD for Season 4 got released in Japan! At the very least Season 4 did get raw rips while it was airing, though they were only medium-quality at best, but the point still stands. Hyouge Mono is also a good example, but how about Showa Monogatari, which is also from this Spring?

Six Angels? Mike, come on, try bringing up some more obscure stuff from that same group of people, like the XEVIOUS movie (yeah, there was an all-CG movie based on the video game of the same name; both the DVD and VHS are rare-as-hell now) or even the Geisters compilation movies... Which I don't even know if they were released before the head of the company took all of the money and ran off. Rainbow? Man I have to get to watching that show... It's honestly kind of amazing that a show that FUNimation themselves was simulcasting is now obscure as hell. The idea that every anime made nowadays is available online in some fashion nowadays is simply an ideal that fans want to believe now, but the truth is that it's not. For example, those Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen raws I mentioned? Not one of them was available via torrent and all of them required some share of searching to an extent to find, which results in most people not wanting to bother in the first place.

Hell, you want obscure? Here's one that isn't even on the ANN Encyclopedia: Kinniku Banzuke: Kongou-kun no Daibouken! Yeah, it's a three-episode OVA based around Kinniku Banzuke (a.k.a. Unbeatable Banzuke on G4). In fact, it's based partially around Sasuke/Ninja Warrior, and involves children competing against each other in challenges to the death! And you know what's crazy? It was actually fully fansubbed! It's definitely a title I plan on reviewing for my blog one day...

Last edited by Lord Geo on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Phew! A long (but good!) episode.

Thanks for throwing in a jab at FUNimation's subtitle styling, Daryl. If more people complained about the legibility, I'm pretty sure FUNi would actually start using a bolder font or heavier outline on its BDs.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Your discussion on check-list shows was interesting. The problem is really big in video games too. Go to a forum dedicated to any long running or beloved video game series and you'll see scores of people meticulously comparing the latest entry to their check-list.

I post on Silent Hill forums, and I've seen upcoming Silent Hill games being deplored as "not Silent Hill" for the following reasons (I'm not making any of these up):

- There's an on-screen health meter
- The camera is too close to the character's shoulder
- You can dodge enemy attacks
- The protagonist uses a cell phone
- The protagonist rides in the back seat of a car
- It has snow it in it
- The ice on the ground is too blue
- The fog isn't thick enough
- The fog is too grey
- The fog isn't grey enough

Hell, you guys mentioned Deus Ex (freaking amazing game by the way), which got viciously mauled by fans of the original upon its announcement for all sorts of pedantic reasons.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
A long show, but a good one this time. Smile My commentary will probably jump around a bit as I remember what was talked about, so please bear with me.

The guy trying to get his girlfriend into Gundam: I'm going to come at this from a woman's perspective. From what I remember hearing, it sounded like he had shown her some movies and one of the series. If she's seen that much of the property and doesn't seem interested, then chances are pretty good that she simply isn't interested. I'd advise against trying to show her more to "get her interested," because more than likely, it could potentially irritate her and turn her off from the franchise completely. There's nothing wrong with two people in a relationship to not like the same things. While my husband and I have a lot in interests in common, there are also things that one us likes that the other doesn't. Probably one of the big ones for us is the fact that I like the cartoon show Jem (and I even founded an Internet mailing list for the show and dolls back in the mid-1990s) and my doesn't like it. My husband teases me for it from time and time, and I take it all in good fun. Smile

As for what I think of Gundam, I admit that I have only seen the first episode of the original series, back when ANN was streaming the episodes. At some point, I do need to work at watching more Gundam, especially since I write about anime elsewhere on the Internet... and let's just say the Gundam coverage is a little lacking. Shame on me, I know. I will be working at trying to rectify that.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: This property was brought up during ANNCast. Admittedly, I've only seen the first eight episodes so far, so I don't have a whole lot to say on this one yet. I'm working my way through the DVDs that were released by ADV by checking them out through the library. I'm waiting on Collection :03 right now. I'm the second hold on it, but there's only one copy in the system, and last I saw, it was overdue. That DVD better not disappear. Razz Like with Gundam, my coverage of Neon Genesi Evangelion has been rather lacking where I write, so I'm in the middle of rectifying that issue.

Haruhi Suzumiya and Fushigi Yugi were also mentioned in the podcast. I've only seen the first episode of both of these series, and admittedly, neither one really grabbed me. At some point, I know I need to see more Haruhi in order to write about it, but it's a little further down on my list than Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam.

Daryl and Twitter: Those Snape tweets you're getting just sound creepy. Lord knows if I got tweets like those, I'd be freaked out. The closest thing I ever had to that was on a Jem messageboard back in the pre-Twitter days of 1998, when someone claimed that I had died in a car accident; it turned out to be a young teenager on the mailing list pulling a prank. Hopefully for you, Daryl, this is just someone having a little bit of fun at your expense and not some seriously disturbed individual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The first time I watched Rurouni Kenshin, I repeatedly played the opening over and over again to see if I can make out breast simply because the female voice actor can't even try to sound like a male.

Rurouni Kenshin was kind of a sleeper simply because Sony had tried to sell this property to people before through the Samurai X name, and they couldn't. That's why when ADV bought it they went with Samurai X because they hoped to sell it to people who had never heard of Kenshin.

Keep in mind that I don't think fansubbing really exploded into its modern version until Love Hina in 2000.

You should also mention that marvel threw in most of their old cartoons on Netflix. Over the past few days I have been watching X-Men, Spiderman, and X-Men Evolution.

Julia Chrichton is indeed Maaya Sakamoto

I needed something to dull my expectations for Redline, and comparing it to Akira just did it. I fully expect now a rape scene to occur to one character whose one purpose appears to be to be raped, and an overall rushed movie where you know there are missing scenes. There's a reason why no one is talking about making the Live Action Akira as one film.

I am honestly surprised that Daryl doesn't get into an argument accusing Zac of being a furry.

Daryl: How much did your fursuit cost?
Zac: I haven't bought a fursuit
Daryl: So it's too expensive?

Haruhi Suzumiya, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are popular because people talk themselves into thinking that both are anti-moe parodies. Presumably they try to ignore that for years Kyoto Animation made nothing but anime made at moe fans.

Tomino has stated that Double Zeta was an attempt to get out of his depression by making a more light hearted series. Obviously if you have seen V Gundam you would know that it didn't work. Tomino didn't beat his depression until the late 90's when he made Turn A Gundam, and later Overman King Gainer.

Gundam Unicorn by and large is well liked by a certain number of people but the problem is that it's aimed at people who watch Zeta Gundam and read Harutoshi Fukui novels. While this is a large group of people in Japan there are very few people who meet this qualification in America.

G Gundam is the second best selling Gundam series in America you are not going to spend 60-80 dollars on a show you watch for ironic reasons. I will also point out that while the mecha designs are goofy, the story behind their pilots are generally well written. Imagawa really worked his ass off on that series, and the story behind it is incredibly fascinating.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mazinkaiser SKL is next on my watch list now, thanks!

And I really hope the secret license is The Tatami Galaxy...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Haruhi Suzumiya, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are popular because people talk themselves into thinking that both are anti-moe parodies. Presumably they try to ignore that for years Kyoto Animation made nothing but anime made at moe fans.

That's odd given Haruhi was pretty much the start of the whole modern 'moe' thing.

Though I'm not sure if I'd say P&S was popular... especially when used in the same sentence as Haruhi.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
OMG, Tatami Galaxy or House of Five Leaves? Yeah, nothing against HoFL (pretty good show), but I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping it's Tatami Galaxy. That would completely make my day. YAY, more noitaminA! I'll buy either one, but I know the disappointment will be with me for several hours if I find out it isn't TG.

At least I'll always have the Australian release for a potential purchase.

Perhaps I'll chime in on other things in the podcast, but that was the thing that really perked my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
immortalrite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that there was mention of both Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves getting dubbed, since I remember thinking that both these shows in particular would greatly benefit from a rewatch with a solid dub, albeit each for entirely different reasons: Tatami Galaxy so I can actually watch the screen proper/not have to pause the video every five seconds to read the subtitles during the protagonist's ridiculously fast and drawn out monologues (speed reading has never really been my forte), and House of Five Leaves so I can more easily tell the minor characters apart from one another and the main thrust of the plot can actually make some more sense, especially in later episodes.

Personally, I am currently leaning toward Funimation's pick being Tatami.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really care for Redline. Razz I can see why it bombed; it exemplifies 'style over substance' which reminds me of a lot of 90s anime.

I'll still say every anime on TV these days still has that "you'll never see this made outside Japan". You'll never see Naruto made in another country, despite it being popular everywhere. Redline doesn't give me that feeling any more than your typical anime. Anime still exemplifies that wonderful feeling, guess I'll never get modern anime bashing.
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I also purchased a copy of the Japanese redline BD and watched it last week. The regular edition is actually priced pretty reasonably by Japanese standards. It's definitely worth importing, though i would disagree with Zac's opinion that the plot makes sense from beginning to end.

The film is gorgeously animated, has an excellent soundtrack and the two main characters are portrayed quite well, but beyond this the plot is quite messy and gets sidetracked by a lot of superfluous stuff, whilst not paying enough attention to the other racers.

I've heard a lot of fans online saying that, while the plot isn't anything to write home about, Redline is really 100% about hot-blooded racing action and succeeds spectacularly in this regard, making the plot issues less important. I agree with this to the extent that the film IS worth watching for the racing action and fluid animation alone. However, i don't think the film can realistically be considered excellent. In my opinion Redline is a good movie that should and COULD have been truly superb if only it had gotten its priorities straight. I'm not saying that Redline should have had a deep, involving storyline. In fact, a deep plot would have detracted from the fast-paced, visceral experience that works the best for this type of film.

In my opinion, what Redline lacks is a plot that SUITS its high-adreneline racing action. The Robo World setting doesn't really contribute anything particularly worthwhile and the main antagonists are just not all that interesting, nor are they even race participants. There's several sidestories (Funky Boy especially) that serve no real purpose and end up being more of an unwelcome distraction than anything else. The first race of the movie (Yellow Line) works a lot better as an exciting action scene than the actual Redline race because it lacks such distractions. The Redline event should have focussed on the race itself, as well as the other racers. Here you have a whole bunch of potentially quite interesting rival racers, and they get virtually no screentime at all. It denies the audience the competitive feel that should have been the real driving force behind the Redline event.

I was pleased to hear Spice and Wolf mentioned on the podcast, as it's one my favourite shows. Not only does the medieval merchant focus make it significantly different from anything else i've seen so far, but the main characters Holo and Lawrence have possibly the very best interaction i've ever seen between two anime characters.
Holo in particular is an excellent example of a female character portayed correctly and believably. She's smart, opinionated and still has a playful and feminine side. I wish that certain other anime series would learn from this and make an effort to give their female characters an actual personality, rather than a mere series of cute quircks and stereotypical traits.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually have some information on Gainax's recent series, and according to the collected Oricon information Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt sold about 2,000 units so it lost money. Hanamaru Kindergarten had less than a thousand sales. I can't even find information on Corpse Princess so Gainax's last hit appears to be Gurren Lagann in 2007.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Great episode! I'm really excited for Redline, although trying not to be, because my expectations are crazy high right now.

I'd really love to buy the Blu Ray of Kenshin Trust & Betrayal, but $65 is just too much. Sad

Re: secret license, I'm hoping it's House of Five Leaves. I couldn't watch Tatami Galaxy because I got so frustrated with the subtitles and I can't stand dubs. But I'd love to buy House of Five Leaves (and Ristorante Paradiso...).

I think I'd end up with a really horrendous hangover if I played a Fushigi Yuugi drinking game. But it'd probably be hilarious during the game itself.

I would totally buy Touch. I haven't finished watching it yet, but I love Cross Game, and am enjoying Touch so far.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8