• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuruyuri Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
wow he did not like the show.

personally this is one of my favourites of the season. i find myself laughing quite often and just find it enjoyable but maybe I'm in the minority.
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
The same goes for me. Granted, this show isn't the supreme epitome of awesomeness, but thats ok. I get plenty of simple laughs from this show each week, and thats good enough for me.

I have far more criticism for the review than the subject matter its reviewing, for the usual bland criticisms. Such as:

Quote:
There's so little variation on the usual character themes that whenever there's any crossover it gets hard to tell characters apart

Don't you people have...you know...eyes?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
And you can see it weighing on Ohta and his crew. The spirit of creativity has seemingly been crushed from them.

No, you really can't. Not with all the energy the girls have. You may have projected your own feelings there, cause that certainly ain't at all what the staff thinks.

I think it's hilarious that YuruYuri is going to outsell Mitsudomoe by 2, maybe even 3 times. Amazing what happens when they don't have to resort to urine jokes in the first episode. YRYR vol. 1 BD is currently the highest ranked amongst summer shows on teh Amazon charts (Although Idolmaster most likely has far more sales, but since it's bundled with a game it is not counted with the other anime on the chart).

Obviously this is not a show made for a Western audience. Luckily though I've grown to love the slice-of-life genre, and I find this one to be entertaining enough. I don't really ever *laugh* with anime. Heck, I don't *laugh* at stand-up. I just never get that reaction. I do however enjoy jokes and personally really enjoy all the unrequited feelings that the girls have for one of the other girls. Seeing Chinatsu dressed in cosplay to entertain Yui's.. little sister (or niece?) was humorous cause you knew how much she hated wearing it (and how much satisfaction it gave Kyouko) but she bore with it due to her pining for Yui.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well, I watch this show and I can say it does feel very lacking in terms of making things interesting. This is easily not a very good show. I feel like Nichijou does what this show is suppose to do better. And in this same vein Ichimashi does what this show is trying to do better. I usually like Slice of life, but eventually there are shows like bottle fairy that just don't click too right. I can see bits of something missing in this show that make it good. Its missing something more.

And I'm just going to go with that. Show's easily below average, and isn't even trying too hard.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
No newspeak; it confuses us. There's slice-of-life like Seinfeld, and then there's cute young anime girls. Would one make ya laugh without the other? Laughing
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have to finish this, no matter how much I hate Chitose and Chizuru and the three tsunderes.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think it's hilarious that YuruYuri is going to outsell Mitsudomoe by 2, maybe even 3 times. Amazing what happens when they don't have to resort to urine jokes in the first episode

No it's not.

No it's... not...

/jaded Mitsudomoe fan
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Review wrote:
And you can see it weighing on Ohta and his crew. The spirit of creativity has seemingly been crushed from them.

No, you really can't. Not with all the energy the girls have. You may have projected your own feelings there, cause that certainly ain't at all what the staff thinks.

They could not have possibly intended what I dislike, so they must have been forced to do it. Oh noes, the once great have now become a victim of teh otaku pandering!

Quote:
Obviously this is not a show made for a Western audience.

therefore we know what to expect from most reviewers Wink
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
This show reminds me of Strawberry Marshmallow, kinda cute, kinda funny, wacky characters, what will they do nextiness, totally forgotten in a weeks time. I'll still be watching tho.... Wink
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I think it's hilarious that YuruYuri is going to outsell Mitsudomoe by 2, maybe even 3 times. Amazing what happens when they don't have to resort to urine jokes in the first episode

No it's not.

No it's... not...

/jaded Mitsudomoe fan

I;m not a jaded Mitsudomoe fan but I do agree that this is not funny that YY is outselling Mitsudomoe.

I watched the first episode of YuriYuri and while it was funny at times I found it a chore just to finish. I started a bit of episode 2 but only got a bit in before I said no more.

Maybe I will try and watch it again in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a comedy after all, and as anyone who saw Mitsudomoe could tell you, you can forgive a lot in exchange for a good laugh. Alas again, no dice.

*takes hope and throws it into a wood chipper, feet first, peeved it made a mess.

I often tremble at the very pointed directions Carl gives his opinions to. If a series is filled with trope but the comedy is the point of the review, and it fails, this isn't something I can easily dismiss.

I had really hoped the lessons learned from Mitsudomoe would have showed themselves with this series.

Well, there's always the next one.

Megiddo wrote:
I think it's hilarious that YuruYuri is going to outsell Mitsudomoe by 2, maybe even 3 times.

Hilarious? I find it frightening. If the sales of this series are significant, all this means is the bar has been lowered even further and producers can just put any gaggle of girls together (with an air of sexual innuendo) and sell it.

Quote:
Amazing what happens when they don't have to resort to urine jokes in the first episode.

One of the best comedies I have ever seen, Ramen Fighter Miki, didn't get laughs from its first episode, either. However, just like Mitsudomoe, it took very little effort to fire up the next episode to find these gems do contain well written deliveries of comedy.

Look at the cover art of this series when you get a chance. You could stamp this thing with "drama" and it would still sell just on design alone.

I just heard a clicking sound. Did you hear it? That sound means the bar has just been lowered again.

Geez, if this keeps up, the bar will just be sitting on the ground.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
I started watching Yuruyuri, dropped it, picked it back up and am limping towards the conclusion with it. I'm clearly ringing a bit more enjoyment from it than Carl is, but that's about it. Minor quibble: there are not three tsunderes on the student council. There is one. The other two are not tsunderes, but rather two girls locked in a bitter rivalry.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I think it's hilarious that YuruYuri is going to outsell Mitsudomoe by 2, maybe even 3 times.

Hilarious? I find it frightening. If the sales of this series are significant, all this means is the bar has been lowered even further and producers can just put any gaggle of girls together (with an air of sexual innuendo) and sell it.

It's hilarious because of the sort-of pedastal that Carl put Mitsudomoe on in this review. Hell, the Japanese producers themselves thought that Mitsudomoe would be a hit, which is why they had already started on more episodes and had to cut the "second season" short at 8 episodes. It was a massive flop (in terms of failing to meet expectations) because the otaku basically didn't want it. Heck, after the first episode, I didn't want it.

So to see YuruYuri get (most likely) much higher sales and then an ANN review basically bashing it for not being good for anything, it's hilarious. It shows just how big the divide is between the otaku in Japan and the Western anime fans.

Also, I wouldn't exactly talk about the cover art with YRYR. At least these are 7th and 8th graders. The Mitsudomoe girls are 11, lol.

If one were to put an anime directed by Ohta on a pedastal, it would have to be Minami-ke, and it certainly sold like one (11k per vol as opposed to the 1-2k of Mitsudomoe's second season)
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akari, Yui and Kyoko are three childhood friends who in high school form a club called the Amusement Club.

Uh... Actually, they are in MIDDLE school, which is why much of the fantasy girl-girl nosebleed gags make the show a bit icky to me, in addition to being bland and usually un-funny. A-Channel was a much better show that, while not making me LOL every time, never left me without a smile on my face and sore cheeks due to its having been there for the whole episode. This one doesn't do that, so I stopped watching several episodes ago...
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
This is my favorite show of the season, and the high point of my Monday. It's not perfect, but it's dang entertaining.

My biggest complaint is that it focuses too much on Kyouko. She is the best character, and the funniest, but only in the context of the other girls. Especially lately, it's mostly focused just on her, and as such she's just another "lolrandumb" character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3