• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray Season 2 Box Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's mawkish and long and Yusuke's sissy goody-goody-ness gets irritating really fast.

Say what you will, that "sissy goody-goody-ness" had me more heavily invested in this show than any other tournament-styled shounen series. In fact, other than Kenichi, YYH is the only fighting series I can sit through and enjoy beginning to end without getting bored.
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
What a terrible [expletive] review.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit that I was gotta annoyed at the tournament. While some fights were very entertaining, at some times it was all suffering from Yusuke's gang like "Master is dead", "This is unfair", "This guy is too much", "How many times Kuwabara suffered a...", etc.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is probably the least positive review for this show that I have ever seen. I have a feeling that you don't enjoy Shonen shows.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
'The decision to make Jin, one of Yusuke's main opponents, a crazed Irishman (Scotsman?) was particularly inspired'

That would be Australian. His calling Koto "Shiela" is the main giveaway, as that's slang for "girl" in Australia. There's a lot of Australian slang in his words.

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that I was thinking of Chuu when I wrote the above, not Jin. So, uh... yeah. I'll be on my way now...

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
'The decision to make Jin, one of Yusuke's main opponents, a crazed Irishman (Scotsman?) was particularly inspired'

That would be Australian. His calling Koto "Shiela" is the main giveaway, as that's slang for "girl" in Australia. There's a lot of Australian slang in his words.

I believe you're thinking of Chuu, who was voiced by Kent Williams. Jin (the wind-user), voiced by Jerry Jewell, had an Irish accent.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Say what you will, still one of my favorite shows of all time.

Although, even I will admit, the round where they fight the Possessed Good Guys is pretty awful. I usually just skip those episodes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I believe you're thinking of Chuu, who was voiced by Kent Williams. Jin (the wind-user), voiced by Jerry Jewell, had an Irish accent.

Ah, yes. You're right. I *thought* there was something weird about the name when I was making my reply. Razz I guess I should've paid more attention to that inner warning, eh? Oh well. Just, uh... disregard what I said, then. :/
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Wow, this is probably the least positive review for this show that I have ever seen. I have a feeling that you don't enjoy Shonen shows.
An overall B in spite of technical complaints is not a "I don't like shonen shows" review.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Only Funimation could make a dub that succeeds as well as you claim it does. I don't usually watch dubs, but when I do, I choose Funimation.

That aside, I vaguely remember when I was a kid and this was on (I think) Toonami. I don't think that I would watch it now, but maybe for a nostalgia trip.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember this part of the series. The manga went by fairly quickly, and then the finals went on for a WHILE. I think the next arc is where Yoshihiro Togashi finds his forte: Rule-based powers. We start to see a bit of Hunter x Hunter in that one, and those sort of powers is what makes the fights in his current series so consistently interesting.

(Can't say the same for how his colleague Tite Kubo has been handling rule-based powers though.)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, high praise for a dub that deviates from the script on ANN. I have a feeling that if the show "beneath" the dub weren't so bland (I agree with the article's sentiment on that.) then that dub praise would be turned upside down, but I'm still glad to see it.

BTW is replacing a female seiyuu with a male one really a great example of demonstrating the dub deviates from the sub? Funimation did that for FMA and no one seemed to mind (or at least no one metaphorically stoned Funimation for "unfaithfulness" over the substitution), as I recall.

Quote:
Only Funimation could make a dub that succeeds as well as you claim it does. I don't usually watch dubs, but when I do, I choose Funimation.
...stay thirsty my friends? Wink

I disagree with your premise, but I support your homage to the Most Interesting Man in the World Very Happy.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, the dark tournament really was just a hammy adventure anyway - and the original sub was sooooo boring on the dialogue. I agree with the review here most nearly on every point. The dub is a stellar improvement of the show.

Whether or not you enjoyed the action doesn't really change the fact that the show's story took a long halt.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
I honestly can't remember being bored watching the subbed version of this part of the show. I've seen a lot of Shonen shows. Predictable, yes, but not bored. Maybe it's just something that I sort of expect. Tournament (or tournament-esque) arcs are just a staple of the genre. And I don't think gender qualifies for a capability of a voice actors/actresses's performance. The dub certainly hams up the performance for mostly enjoyment factors, seeing as how most dialogue in Shonen shows tend to be eerily similar at times (I think it all started with DragonBall and Fist of the North Star then it just translated over).
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Ugh.. no comments on the quality of this? I'd like to at least see some comment about the presentation or whether the BD version is worth it...

Has anyone here in the comments purchased the BD? Is it a worthy upgrade from prior sets? I have the 8 piece set not the prior 4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2