• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Coca-Cola 'Anime' Commercial on Daytona 500 [2005-02-17]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Heh, this was, um, pretty bad. It didn't strike me as anime like in the least, more like american comic book like. It isn't fluid animation, it's the still frame type of animation that you see in some of those old DVD comics. Frame, frame, frame, frame, frame, frame. Even the art style wasn't very anime like, very sketchy style animation, very american looking. I really hate it when a company calls something "anime-style" in an attempt to be "hip" and "edgy", but in this case just calling it an animated commercial would have more than sufficed. Anyone know who animated it?

Emerje

(edit: Strange, it started a new topic. Was the other topic not originally part of the news post?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
m3g4t0ky0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this "Anime" commercial wasn't good. I had somewhat higher expectations when coming in, but they were shattered on the way out.

Maybe their ad folks should do some more, uh, research and try again. Thanks for trying, though. Drive thru!

[edit: changed "reference" to "research."]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AncientDragonValgaav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I figured the commercial was bad. I am glad I did not sit through the race to see it.
Toboe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
m3g4t0ky0 wrote:
Yeah, this "Anime" commercial wasn't good. I had somewhat higher expectations when coming in, but they were shattered on the way out.

Maybe their ad folks should do some more, uh, research and try again. Thanks for trying, though. Drive thru!

You had "expectations" for an effing Coke commercial? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're kidding.
rick_d_a

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I think a guy Named Arik Renee Avila did the commercial
He has a movie looks like the commercial
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
They played this comercial at the movie theater when I went to see the Aviator last Sunday. I went to the bathroom and only caught the last five seconds of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Even the art style wasn't very anime like, very sketchy style animation, very american looking.

if anything, it looks like a poor attempt at gonzo animation [kill bill, that linkin park video]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
I get the Gatchaman nod, but the animation reminds me more of that in the music video for A-Ha's "Take on Me".

Or when they had animated segments on Reading Rainbow.

Not that I'm saying it was bad, I'm just making a comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
Them being in Dallas in all, they should take what ever money they made and enroll to the Art Institute of Dallas, its said they have a good Animation classes there, because they seam to have potential, but to me, just looks like they know there way around Photoshop pretty well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
Well, Coca-Cola did pay them to do the spot, and Fox did air it during one of their top sports events of the year, and several commentators said it was the best-looking ad during the race, so I think they know pretty well what they're doing.

The majority of posters on this board don't like their style, and that's fine, but the people who pay the big money to get the commercials made and aired see things a little differently. It's all subjective.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
It's an amateur company, so I'm not going to say anything against them other than...why....but my blame goes to the people that made the commercial. If you want to make a commercial for something...don't you usually use a professional company? If you're serious atleast...Anyway. They mimicked production IG, not gonzo. Kill Bill sequence was done by production IG. I'm pretty sure the linkin park video is also production IG. so....get your companies right first. [edit: I suck]

Last edited by hkrok76 on Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sceadu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
It's an amateur company, so I'm not going to say anything against them other than...why....but my blame goes to the people that made the commercial. If you want to make a commercial for something...don't you usually use a professional company?

By definition, "amateur" means you do something as a hobby; "professional" means you do something for a living. So there is no such thing as an "amateur" company that gets paid large sums to produce commercials for national TV and theaters.

But I didn't like the commercial very much either.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
you spent your time to tell me that....you have as much free time as I do =)

but you should have guessed I meant amateur as in novice, not that good, aka crappy.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the linkin park video is also production IG.

The Linkin Park video was produced by Studio Gonzo, not Production I.G.:

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=542

Quote:
so....get your companies right first.

I suggest you take your own advise, hkrok76. Wink
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
m3g4t0ky0 wrote:

You had "expectations" for an effing Coke commercial? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're kidding.

Hey, commercials are big business. My morning radio show always rates/names their fav commercials after the Super Bowl where cpmpanies pay millions to air their ads. There is a certain expectation level to commercials. They are made to pitch a produce. Done well, they are memorable, but sell the product. Done poorly, they fail their job. There have been commercials made that were memorable & striking, but didn't sell the product so they're deemed failures.
Having seen what I assume was this commercial yesterday waiting to see Constantine, I'd have to say it was a nice break from the Aquafina ad I've been seeing for the last month, but the thing that ran thru my head was that if this is the anime-style commercial I'd seen mentioned here, it's NOT anime style. It is far more everyday usual American animation style we've seen many times before. Yes, that's the American way, (melting pot-absorb things from the rest of the world we like, making it our own) but I'd vote this is more American realistic comicbook style art so if they were going for anime-style, they failed. I've seen a few other commercials that are far more anime-style. The only think that even hit me as being slightly anime was the cuts-the way it flowed overall.
As an animated commercial, it wasn't bad, but having been forewarned ahead of time it was anime-style by this site, I was expecting something more anime-style. It's like saying Taco Bell is mexican food. Yeah, but not what one would find in Mexico-it's the Americanized version.
Now that thing with Keanu Reeves they also aired ahead of Constantine(enjoyed the movie much more than Hitch which I saw last week) was pretty freaky. I know nothing about it, but it looked like computer animation gone very wrong, although I'm sure a lot of sci-fi/animation fans here will be all geared up for it. My overall impression of that(knowing nothing about it beyond having it thrust in my face with all the other previews) was someone scanned pictures/film of actors into a computer & made a movie. Having just seen the Coke commercial a few minutes earlier, I was totally.....freaked at the stated of cutting edge American animation. I'm not big on the usual American computer animation, although I know it seems to be where we're headed (Polar Express looked very freaky & I'm glad my teen's out of most animated flicks-mostly the big titles like Shrek & Shark Tales catch her eye) I grew up with cell art & still prefer that look or somethinbg similar--something that looks more like art than a video game, so the Coke commercial & whatever that was aren't really my style. I guess in the extreme, it could be said to resemble some anime/manga(the faces Onizuka makes in GTO come to mind), but it still seems American. I can see Coke wanting to do an anime-style commercial because they do come across as a "cool" product, not granny's soda & I can see going for something more Initial D in style to appeal to Nascar fans, but if they just check out what the popular anime in America is, they'd see their commercial doesn't come across as that style of anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2