• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 7 Best Frenemies

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I voted for the Baka to Test school last week because who wouldn't want a chance to fight their classmates in an AR game? Heck, I can totally see my old homeroom in high school really having fun with that, would have made part of school a lot more interesting too....
And for next week I had to vote for Library Wars because that's probably one of the few military groups I actually agree with. I mean, they're fighting for the freedom of speech, that's a cause I could definitely support.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
^ I also voted for the school from Baka and Test. I would have loved to fight my classmates using a avatar based system if something like that existed in real life.

I voted for the Earth Federation Forces for this poll since I like a lot of their mobile suits that they used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
While I voted for Zeon, I would have wanted to be in the Galactic Empire's military, but under Lohengramm, Kircheis or Fahrenheit.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the Ho Ya between Suzaku and Lelouch, makes them too close to be considered Frenemies.
Onrack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Last Exile, but I would want to be in the Imperial Fleet of the Abh Empire from Crest/Banner of the Stars
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I still remember that episode where Lupin gets caught and put into jail and is going to get executed, and Zenigata getting all teary eyed because he thinks that it's "the end" ^__^ It was kinda cute!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
No Goku and Vegeta? Crying or Very sad
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Voted for EF, on the condition that I get my own gundam and a cool moniker to boot.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I would have voted for Dai-Gurren Dan, if only so I could get close to Simon and kill him in his sleep, but I decided to take the poll seriously.

Therefore, I voted for the New United Nations Military, since the mooks in every other option pretty much get annihilated or are made to suffer under poor leadership.

If serving in the Galactic Empire's military under Reinhard was an option, I would have voted for that instead.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
For much the same reason that I voted to serve alongside Irresponsible Captain Tylor, I would probably give a variety of vital body parts for the chance to find myself in the company of the frogs from the Gamma Planetary System, the 58th Planet, Space Invasion Army Special Tactics Platoon. Strictly for laughs!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

If serving in the Galactic Empire's military under Reinhard was an option, I would have voted for that instead.

I rather serve under Yang (as a history enthusiast, he's kinda cool). After all, what's better than tea with brandy? Anime hyper

It's a tie between Amestris (FMA) and United Planets Space Force (ICT) for me.
Besides Gurren Lagann, I haven't seen the other shows on the list.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...don't really care for too many of the Military organizations listed. I guess my first choice would be Mithril from FMP! So I could dress up as Bonta-kun at some point. Or maybe I'd join West Genetics from Freezing, don't really like the show, but who wouldn't want to partner up with a busty powerful babe? If I was going old school then it would be Robotech's UN Spacey (was that right? Its been a long time since I've seen SDF.)
manhiem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I also would have chosen the fleet of the Humankind Empire Abh from "Crest/Banner of the Stars". I can't say why, but as conquerors go, I always found them to be quite reasonable.

Another good military unit missing from the list was Mithril from the "Full Metal Panic!" series.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I definitely would want to be in the Dai-Gurren Brigade. As long as I want a mech and am willing to steal it, I will have it!
My second choice was Captain Tylor's crew, though he maybe the exception, not the rule and the rest of the military is boring as anything.
I would never want to work for the Amestris military because let's face it spoiler[they're trying to murder the entire population of the country]

Hmm, now as for my favorite frenemies?
Well, not anime, but Zim and Dib just so, so much! Maybe there should be an honorable mention in future columns for stuff from western animation or video games just as a shout out.
Really, I can't think of any frenemies as awesome as these two off the top of my head from an anime right now. At least not any that don't either kinda stop being frenemies (Yuki and Kyo Sohma, at least in the Furuba manga, it definitely tones down) or become full on allies (spoiler[Viral] and Simon from TTGL).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I voted for the United Planets Space Force, but that is only on the condition that I can be on the Soyokaze alongside Tylor and the gang.

As far as this top 7, it's okay. I'd be curious if Gia has seen Hunter X Hunter because Hisoka and Gon are probably my favorite "frenemy" pair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4