• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Pacifist Punch!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Haha! I have won an internet! Or at least an ANN!

Also, Esmeralda’s email signature is more acurately quoting Catcher in the Rye.

The line goes something like "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dengl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Didn't one of the Gundam Figurations come without legs?
Number Six

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Ms Answerman wrote:
Truthfully I’d like to see robots that resemble aquatic life since they would be able to move better in space,[...]

I know we are talking fictional machines here, but how exactly does an "aquatic" looking machine move better in space than a humanoid looking robot? Aquatic life is streamlined to move easier through water. In space, there is no medium to travel through, so any old shape works as well as any other for movement purposes.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
dengl wrote:
Didn't one of the Gundam Figurations come without legs?

There are a few legged Gundams that had alternate legless configurations, yes. The S Gundam and Ex-S Gundam from Gundam Sentinel, for example, were capable of having boosters outfitted on their lower torsos. The Hydra Gundam from Dual Story also had a legless High Output Mode, and there are a small handful of legless G Gundam units like the Mandala Gundam, which was shaped like a massive ceremonial bell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I think maybe what you're thinking of is the Zeong, which you can see here:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/msn-02.htm

It was, however later manufactured as the Perfect Zeong, and then had legs.

Last edited by Shinotaku14 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to point out that Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D (Bloodlust) also share a director/screenplay author - Yoshiaki Kawajiri - and a production studio - Madhouse.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
The most obvious Gundam mecha sans legs is the Guntank. There's also a metric ton of Mobile Armors.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
The most obvious Gundam mecha sans legs is the Guntank. There's also a metric ton of Mobile Armors.

True, it's not that hard to find mobile suits or mobile armors without legs (Guntank, Gadeel, Zeong, Xamel, Dra-C, Apsalus, Neue Ziel, Alpha Azieru, Rafflesia, etc., etc., etc., etc.). But the guy specifically said Gundams, which are a bit trickier to find legless (or...intentionally legless Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The_Dominion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:

Also, Esmeralda’s email signature is more acurately quoting Catcher in the Rye.

The line goes something like "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody."

Actually I am afriad you are incorrect. That was a quote from Ghost in the Shell: SAC and only from GitS:SAC. There is a character called The Laughing Man, which writes that quote from The Catcher in the Rye, however he modifies it. The quote in the book pretains to Holden Caulfield saying he would run away to Colorado or some place out west and work at a gas station as an attendent where he would pretend to be a deaf-mute. Basically this desire of Holden's is brought on by having conversations with his sister, and his teacher, which makes him reconsider his ideals; which he refuses to do, hence why he wants to stop having conversations. Hold on caul(part of skin that covers a fetus' head at birth) field. His name is symbolic, because he is unwilling to grow up or change.

Now the important thing to note is, the reason The Laughing Man decided to change the passage from the original context is to question the source. He had previously been following J.D. Salinger's work a lot, and The Laughing Man has decided to not take the same path as Holden did; he is begining to open up. Hence, why he questions it. Is it what I should do, or not?

So, yes, it is a GitS:SAC quote.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Grave of the Fireflies was animated by Studio Ghibli, the studio founded by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, and was released in Japanese theatres as a double feature alongside My Neighbor Totoro, which was directed by Miyazaki.

I sure hope they showed Grave first. You need Totoro to cheer you up after that.

-Xenos
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:
I think maybe what you're thinking of is the Zeong, which you can see here:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/msn-02.htm

It was, however later manufactured as the Perfect Zeong, and then had legs.

Char Aznable's conversation with a technician at A Bao Qu about the Zeong's lack of legs was amusing.

As the technician/soldier (?) said, in space, the legs aren't really required.

And yeah, as Ms. Answerman stated, shows like Gundam and Macross (though technically, she used "Robotech") ushered in an age of more realistic mecha shows, as opposed to the "super robots" before them. But then in the AU show G Gundam, there is a return (homage?) to the "super robot" shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Legs are just for show.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:

True, it's not that hard to find mobile suits or mobile armors without legs (Guntank, Gadeel, Zeong, Xamel, Dra-C, Apsalus, Neue Ziel, Alpha Azieru, Rafflesia, etc., etc., etc., etc.). But the guy specifically said Gundams, which are a bit trickier to find legless (or...intentionally legless Laughing ).

GF13-044NNP Mandala Gundam from G Gundam

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/g/gf13-044nnp.htm
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
Ms Answerman wrote:
Truthfully I’d like to see robots that resemble aquatic life since they would be able to move better in space,[...]

I know we are talking fictional machines here, but how exactly does an "aquatic" looking machine move better in space than a humanoid looking robot? Aquatic life is streamlined to move easier through water. In space, there is no medium to travel through, so any old shape works as well as any other for movement purposes.

Aquatic life has also had to evolve motion that deals with 3 dimensions and severely reduced physical resistance (i.e, there is no ground to push off of or stop them falling). It shouldnt take much thinking to see how nature's solutions to these problems might be applicable to space travel.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
GF13-044NNP Mandala Gundam from G Gundam

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/g/gf13-044nnp.htm

...Which I mentioned specifically in the fourth post of this thread. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2