• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Congress Puts SOPA/PIPA Copyright Bills on Hold

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Don't hold it, just kill it.
kufirst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Don't hold it, just kill it.

Yeah, but with the deranged monkeys who run things in Congress, every little bit helps.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
It's almost a bit unnerving that the man who brought these about in the first place is the one who's announced this. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
When you actually see the arguments the politicians use against piracy, it comes down to some rhetoric about China and dey turk er jarbs. I'm not even trying to be funny, that's more or less what they are saying. They're all old men who don't know how computers or the internet works and they think online piracy is the same thing as stealing from a store. Yes, it's not a positive thing, but it's still more nuanced than a direct comparison between the two.

Senator Dodd was on Andrea Mitchell today and he couldn't even get the words to the DMCA correct, he replaced Digital with Domestic, because they're turning this piracy issue into "China is stealing our material and reselling it and costing US jobs" instead of the real core issue and solution of how can people combat piracy by making buying things worth it. This whole issue is frustrating, and it feels like we need to keep Senator Grandpa away from the computer because he has no idea what he's doing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Probably the best move congress has made in this decade. I wouldn't be so against these bills if actually targeted the issue instead of doing the polar opposite.

But actually fixing an issue instead of just making it worse would be asking a great deal these days, it seems in some cases.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
keep going internet! more protests! more blackouts! show the politicians what we're made of! cancel that stupid bill!
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
keep going internet! more protests! more blackouts! show the politicians what we're made of! cancel that stupid bill!
+4 internets for you
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
In all honesty, the bill's purpose isn't entirely bad. The bill is to protect intellectual property rights of things that should be rightfully protected, like works of media. The part about censoring some site and/or taking them down because of a small infraction and the ability to turn off the internet entirely are the parts most hated in the current bill.

This being said, they are taking into consideration many other factors. The problem lies that what they want to do for the best solution, is not liked at all by the majority of the people. Because we know that simply suing the crap out of companies and people will get them nowhere.

Rapidshare, a company based in Germany, is a prime example of company that can be exempt from being sued and/or shutdown. Likewise, as stated in the Megaupload discussion, if a site gets shut down for hosting copyright material, the users that use MU for the copyright material will just go to another site and use it like they did with MU.

As for China, they have absolutely no regard to copyright whatsoever. Congress has realized this. The bill cannot control other countries and so blocking them seemed the best way to prevent copyright infringement leaks into the U.S.

If you have a better idea about how to combat piracy, I'd like to hear it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Bottom line, there needs to be due process. The entertainment industry should not have the power to say who to shut down, they need to show sufficient evidence that a crime has been committed, and provide that to law enforcement. Law enforcement needs to investigate and be held accountable, just as normal criminal cases are processed.

The entertainment industry wants to bypass that and be able to wave a big club at the internet, without due process and explanation.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I cheered pretty darn loud when I saw that the bills were being held indefinitely.

I honestly will have no problem if they try to bring SOPA and PIPA back, as long as it doesn't amount to the overall censorship of the Internet like these versions were doing. I agree with the general idea behind it, as online piracy does need to be curbed, but this was NOT the way to go about it.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
In all honesty, the bill's purpose isn't entirely bad.

Can't build a house on good intentions. Being able to shut down any website they please on a whim is an idea, but it's not a good one, and it's a pretty thoughtless solution. Especially if you considered the fact that the real pirates aren't a bunch of lame brains who don't know how to work around things. The only people this bill will hurt are the ones they really aren't gunning for, and this bill leaves no real way for them to dispute any claims brought against them. If anyone actually thinks this bill is a good idea, then they obviously don't care for the freedoms we are afforded in this country. This is supposed to be a democracy, however lose that term has become these days, but this need of the government to police the internet sounds like militaristic bs.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Most of the bill's hang-up came from the potential reality of people not being able stream copyrighted content via YouTube anymore. Or even being able to search for that content using popular search engines. The usage of copyrighted images is a secondary concern.

So, regardless of accessibility, convenience, social and cultural impact, and my own use of such sites, I have to recognize and acknowledge that this bill is, for the most part, ethical. Imprisoning someone for 5 years because of 10 streamed video clips is one of the only two immoral aspects of the bill (the other being shutting down entire domains due to one trivial infringement; especially if said site doesn't yet have the technology to pre-screen uploads). The property creators and owners generate their revenue through legal purchases of the material. This bill eradicates their obstacles.

Now, with that being said, there is evidence that could be rightfully interpreted to suggest that these bills, SOPA/PROTECT PIP, could actually harm the copyright holders. That being, the academic paper published which demonstrates a positive correlation between YouTube views of a work and its increase in Anime home video sales. This, of course, becomes rather fuzzy when applied to media in other forms; videlicet, music videos and movie trailers--which aren't, normally, released as single DVD products.

All in all, I think this bill needs to be scrapped and they need to go back to the drawing boards. They should follow the Anime industry's lead; create a system of services that are superior to piracy. Professional translations from experienced, knowledgeable and fluent Japanese-to-English translators, a variety of high-quality video resolutions (ranging from 480p to 1080p), consistent and guaranteed release schedules -- regardless of how fast digi-subs are released on average, many groups will, and have, released shows bi-monthly or semi-monthly, or just suddenly dropped the shows, all together) are all advantages that the industry has over piracy.

Just my take on it.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
I think we pretty much saw this coming, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're re-introduced in a modified form in the not too distant future.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Bottom line, there needs to be due process. The entertainment industry should not have the power to say who to shut down, they need to show sufficient evidence that a crime has been committed, and provide that to law enforcement. Law enforcement needs to investigate and be held accountable, just as normal criminal cases are processed.

The entertainment industry wants to bypass that and be able to wave a big club at the internet, without due process and explanation.

Agreed. One of the things that was most alarming was the lack of accountability.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
'12 will be a very very entertaining year for anime fans.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
With last year's do-nothing Congress having passed the fewest # of bills in a decade, "on-hold" could might as well be never. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4