• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vita Stats

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
wow man nice, i didn't even know about Pandora's tower as well it seems that Nintendo of Europe is going all out for us wii owners, hell it's a decent reason to pick up a wii u later on. I skimmed some of the reviews for the vita but I am wondering in all honesty is it worth the money?? Do the games really load much faster than the last system and how do ps1, psp, psn titles play??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I really want to be excited about the Vita now like I was when it was announced, but now that it's here it's gotten tough. I still think the hardware is great (weak camera? I wasn't even planning on using it), but I'm going to wait on some 3rd party memory cards, some J-RPGs and maybe even a second model with AV out (still kinda annoyed the Vita didn't have mini HDMI from the start). Oh well, I've got enough games to play right now, I can wait.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Always wait for the 2nd model of the handheld.

Won't get a 3DS or a Vita until then (there's already talks of a new 3DS model coming out)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The Vita launch looks incredibly bare; people (unfairly) chide Nintendo for the 3DS, but the thing is we KNEW that Nintendo's signature franchises would come out. What has the Vita got? Heck, there's even rumor that major publishers are cancelling their Vita projects and switching over to the 3DS

Anyway, definitely keeping my eye on Crimson Shroud. I expect it to be every bit as good as Matsuno's other works (FFXII doesn't count as he never finished it and it SHOWS. Badly)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Always wait for the 2nd model of the handheld.

Won't get a 3DS or a Vita until then (there's already talks of a new 3DS model coming out)

I would wait myself on the vita however i am huge modder and we all know 1st gen models are much easier to hack/mod than later gen. I still have psp-1000 that works great with a 32 gig memory stick. I am just wanting to know a legit reason to buy this hand-held. Can it play all of my psn, ps1 and psp titles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
You can't see it, but I'm smiling right now. It seems sometimes it pays off to live in Europe, sometimes...

Also, I don't know why, but Dynasty Warriors Next cover gave me a scifi-vibe. Maybe someday.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
wow man nice, i didn't even know about Pandora's tower as well it seems that Nintendo of Europe is going all out for us wii owners, hell it's a decent reason to pick up a wii u later on. I skimmed some of the reviews for the vita but I am wondering in all honesty is it worth the money?? Do the games really load much faster than the last system and how do ps1, psp, psn titles play??

If you own PSP games from PSN they'll work. Some might not work on day 1, but the number of compatible titles in Japan is quite high, and it is only improving. If you own UMD copies, well you're out of luck. With PSP games on Vita, you can map buttons to the analog stick. Remember those painful games that you controlled the camera with the face buttons? Not any more. Graphics also get a boost due to the OLED display, and the filtering options. Because Vita's resolution is exactly 4x that of PSP the image will fill the entire screen.

PSone Classics unfortunately are not compatible with Vita as of yet. They are coming though. Sony says the delay is due to their interests being diverted to the PSP backwards compatibility.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by PSN games. If you mean PSN exclusive games like Corpse Party, or Minis those are already supported by Vita, or may get a software update for Vita support. If you mean PS3 PlayStation Network titles, then no. Though, certain games, like MotorStorm: RC actually are doing a bundle deal where buying any copy of the game will net you a copy that works on PS3, and one that works on Vita for the same purchase. The rule of thumb for content on PSN is if it works on PSP, it should work on Vita.

Evidently, those who bought a PSPgo get out ahead in the end. Note: I own a PSPgo, and actually switched my PSP software purchases to PSN before purchasing a Go since I knew any PSP successor wouldn't have UMD compatibility.

AiddonValentine wrote:
The Vita launch looks incredibly bare; people (unfairly) chide Nintendo for the 3DS, but the thing is we KNEW that Nintendo's signature franchises would come out. What has the Vita got? Heck, there's even rumor that major publishers are cancelling their Vita projects and switching over to the 3DS

It has the first amazing game of 2012 in Gravity Rush. It's original. It's exclusive, already out in Japan, and coming here shortly after launch.

It'll also have the signature Sony franchises like LittleBigPlanet. Heck, it has Uncharted, and Hot Shots Golf on Day 1, with rumors of a rebirth of classics like Parappa.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Nice! Pandora's Tower is getting released in western world (now where's Fatal Frame 4?). Can't wait.

Regarding the Vita. I'm glad Sony decided not to essentially region-lock the system. I'll pick one up down the road. I just hope I can get the UMD Passport feature working with my Japanese PSP games (I'll probably link my Vita to my Japanese PSN account since you can't have more than one account. Thanks SONY!).
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
A rather interesting bit of news: Sega is bringing Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus to Taito’s NESiCA x Live arcade system in Japan. It's hard to say if this shows any future of the series on home systems, but it's an unexpected development.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Nice! Pandora's Tower is getting released in western world (now where's Fatal Frame 4?). Can't wait.
The Fatal Frame spin-off Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir is already being brought over. I hope enough people hear about it though, so chances of Fatal Frame being brought to the States would increase. (Fatal Frame Wii U would be a perfect fit.)

I hope NOA takes the hint that people in the US want all big three titles available here. The whole Operation Rainfall ordeal was just crazy.

Meanwhile I'll go ahead and get MGS3D. That and a couple of other games (TotA, Devil Survivor 2, RE:R) would be more than enough to tide me over for Kid Icarus Uprising. Now where are the anime shorts they promised that will go with it as the release date draws nearer?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Their creation mines Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and other faiths just as bizarrely as God of War twisted the Greek pantheon...

The Zoroastrian/Mithraic influence I could see, but I was intially surprised when you mentioned Buddhism. At first I thought "it looks a lot more like Hinduism..." because of the Asura/Deva lesser gods... but then I remembered, there are a great deal of Buddhist traditions in a variety of branches around the world that have retained and are closely tied traditionally/conceptually to Hindu lore (as religions go, Buddhism grew up geographically and historically astride Hinduism ). The most salient brands of Buddhism I've encountered strike me more as philosophy (Buddha himself rejected metaphysical speculation), that I tend to forget that alongside the principal teachings there is a rich mixture of history, contemporaneous culture and mythology surrounding the tradition that thrives to this day.

Kinda reminds me of when I first started noticing all the Proto-Indo European/Mesopotamian/Middle Eastern religious influences that pervade The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (rupees, the Hindu sheikh, the crescent moon w/ star engraving on the mirror shield, flying anubis, the controversial and later removed Farsi chant in the original Fire temple song, the Seven Sages from the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Arbiter Grounds statue with a draped snake resembling Shiva, etc.). Or like Valkyrie Profile (Norse mythology), Xenogears and Chrono Trigger (Christianity), or El Shaddai (another name for the Abrahamic god, like Jehovah or Hashem, in ancient Hebraic tradition). I'm not religious or anything, but I have a curiosity about ancient mythology. Somebody really should write a dissertation on the syncretisation of myth and religion into video games, that would be a really interesting read.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
fudge yea Metal Wolf Chaos. That game was as campy as fudge.

Just watching the cutscenes was awesome. Its also hilarious that it's voiced in english.

Anyway PSP doesn't move for me until we get a next gen Monster Hunter. And maybe price drop. But need my friends to adopt first too.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
::wraps her PSP in plastic, takes good care of it:: Considering that the Vita isn't going to have backwards compatibility with the UMDs, I better guard this one as carefully as my backwards-compatible PS3.

That said, I am *probably* not going to get the Vita on first release. None of the first line-up is really catching my eye *at all*, so I'll likely do what I've done with every new - wait for 3-4 games to come along that I really care about, or a Final Fantasy game, and then beg the console off of some hapless relative for birthday/Christmas.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The only disappointing thing for me about the Vita is that Gravity Rush isn't one of the launch day titles. I played the demo for it yesterday and can't wait to play it. I may just break down and buy the Japanese version if I happen to actually see it at Katsucon this coming weekend!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou: Yup those are definitely Nagi's designs. Changing their outfits based on what you choose also sounds a lot like Ar tonelico too.

Vita: I only want a Vita once they announce a localization of Tales of Innocence R. So far it's the only reason for me to get one.

Quote:
They're all relics of a bygone era, as today's audiences like an adventurous everyman who's always quick with a joke when he's gunning down hundreds of people.

Today's boring and low standards audiences you mean, lol. Quick with a joke while gunning down hundreds of people? That's so action movie 90s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2