• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Read or Die Manga Previewed Before Saturday Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
This should be very interesting indeed and I look forward to reading the scanlations of this title.

On another note, I'm surprised that nobody's picked up the English-language rights to the original light novels as I think those would probably do well if they came out in English...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
This should be very interesting indeed and I look forward to reading the scanlations of this title.

On another note, I'm surprised that nobody's picked up the English-language rights to the original light novels as I think those would probably do well if they came out in English...

Same here.

I'm still trying to track down the final/4th volume of the Read or Dream manga, and I have both the anime. How I hope this indeed rehabilitates the franchise (enough to warrant another anime, or even a sequel to R.O.D the TV!).

The fact that this Yomiko, "isn't the same one as before" could mean a lot of things, taken figuratively or literally, so I'm especially excited to see what connection R.O.D Rehab has to its predecessors.
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to read this ROD is one of my favorite series ever seeing it get more is awesome. I do wonder what they mean "Yomiko is like never before" hope they don't change her character design or make her personality completely different.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
As much as I love original Yomiko, I cannot help but go HOLY [expletive] at the new Yomiko, assuming that's her.

A new ROD sounds intriguing. I may be keeping an eye on it.
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Heres a larger pic of ROD Rehabilitation wonder who that other girl is http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/otaku_blog/imgs/d/6/d67a1d72.jpg I'm a little worried but i'm gonna hold judgement till is see more
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Heres a larger pic of ROD Rehabilitation wonder who that other girl is http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/otaku_blog/imgs/d/6/d67a1d72.jpg I'm a little worried but i'm gonna hold judgement till is see more

The other character is from Rokka no Yūsha, another manga that is launching in the next issue.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
Yomiko clones! Thousands of meganekko paper masters!

Seriously, if this is actually Yomiko (in some form) then it's vital that her basic personality still be there. Even if she's become a retributive angel (or something along those lines) there needs to be a reason stemming from her basic sense of honesty and kindness - otherwise she's not Yomiko. However, it could well be hidden early on ... we've seen what happens when she becomes unstable.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
As much as I love original Yomiko, I cannot help but go HOLY [expletive] at the new Yomiko, assuming that's her.

My first thought was that Yomiko got her hands on the Witchblade. Shocked It's certainly a new spin on the chara design. Not a lot of librarian vibe there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

While the editors say the manga features an eyeglasses-wearing Yomiko, "she is not the Yomiko from before" in the previous light novel series, manga, and various anime projects.

So, is this like .hack where it's the character but not really?
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Same here.

I'm still trying to track down the final/4th volume of the Read or Dream manga, and I have both the anime. How I hope this indeed rehabilitates the franchise (enough to warrant another anime, or even a sequel to R.O.D the TV!).

The fact that this Yomiko, "isn't the same one as before" could mean a lot of things, taken figuratively or literally, so I'm especially excited to see what connection R.O.D Rehab has to its predecessors.
[b]

Hopefully it doesnt go down the route of Blood-C... A great show tarnished by such a bad "sequel/adaptation"
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
That silver-haired, blue eyed chick in a gothic lolita outfit is Yomiko? Since the new series that this is not the same Yomiko we all know and love from the original, I'm remaining cautious until we see more form this new story.

But regardless, the cute, lovable librarian Yomiko Readman will always be my favorite and will always be the original Yomiko that I know and love!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Same here.

[b]

Hopefully it doesnt go down the route of Blood-C... A great show tarnished by such a bad "sequel/adaptation"
agreed
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Boo! So our belovedly nerdy bibliophile, Yomiko Readman, from R.O.D. has been replaced by some slutified, Queen's Blade-lookin' piece of barely-clothed fan service from the land of Moe?! Boo this man!!!

Tip some gin for our lost homie, Agent Paper.

However... if this is a yuri manga, and "Miss Deep" is involved, I might be interested, as they had pretty good chemistry in the OVA. That said, the new character designs don't give me much of any hope for a return to R.O.D.'s former glory, the R.O.D. I know and love.

Boo!!!
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Same here.

I'm not sure that the light novels / Anime's did very well over here. Although Aniplex did put out a blue-ray, which seems to say that they thought there was a market for it.

But this title sure brings me back! For the first few years after I read/saw the manga/show, I didn't even realize that the 2 were completely different titles in japan: Read or Die & Read or Dream!
I just thought: "O_O WAAAAAAAAH?" lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
soldoutactivist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's likely a different person. Her name in Japanese is different; spelled with katakana instead of kanji.

It could be a brainwashed Yomiko, but who knows at this point. Though I'm entirely less interested if it's not the real one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2