• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, February 12-18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
You go, Story of Saiunkoku! Still dreaming of the light novels...
Tratious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well damn Viz
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Always happy to see Urasawa crack the top ten list, especially 20th Century Boys.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
And this is why Viz isn't in trouble in terms of manga sales. Almost all of their series sell. Bleach, Naruto, Vampire Knight, One Piece, Kamisama Kiss, anything by Arina Tanemura, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
No surprises here, but it's great to see Viz and Kodansha doing well. I really hope the North American manga industry doesn't go under.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
...yet another Pokemon volume makes it on the top 10, and Viz still has no word if they are going to fill the gaps in Pokemon Adventure/Special :/ It makes no sense...
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, not too surprising although kinda disappointed that Black Bird isn't on that list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
...yet another Pokemon volume makes it on the top 10, and Viz still has no word if they are going to fill the gaps in Pokemon Adventure/Special :/ It makes no sense...

Sure it does. Little kids don't care, they'll buy anything with Pokemon slapped on it even if it's out of order and skipping over lots of stuff.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
You go, Story of Saiunkoku! Still dreaming of the light novels...

You and me both. --though I don't think Viz will ever do it. Somebody else might... and I would love to see someone, anyone, license the second season of the anime. That would be great!

Always get this big grin on my face when I see 20th Century Boys on the bestseller list.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Sure it does. Little kids don't care, they'll buy anything with Pokemon slapped on it even if it's out of order and skipping over lots of stuff.

If that's the case, then how come Black and White haven't made the list too often? Still, wouldn't Viz WANT to look into publishing the other arcs to sell more Pokemon? I know it's a "wait and see for Platinum to end" though, since it could be that they didn't want to be publishing 3 seperate Pokemon series at once.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

It's a bit sad, considering what I liked about Adventures the most was how the author managed to connect every single story arc despite each being mostly independent
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Bleach is king once again!
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I suspect NYT Best Seller 6 has a one digit typo in the title, and should be 1 week on the list instead of 2. I'm guessing

Pokémon Adventures: Diamond and Pearl/Platinum #3
should be
Pokémon Adventures: Diamond and Pearl/Platinum #4

#4 is currently listed with the "NEW RELEASES" on VIZ's home page at

http://www.viz.com

with a release date of Feb. 7.

Previously, #3 was on the October 2-8 NYT best seller list.

New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 2-8:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-14/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-october-2-8
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Still, wouldn't Viz WANT to look into publishing the other arcs to sell more Pokemon? I know it's a "wait and see for Platinum to end" though, since it could be that they didn't want to be publishing 3 seperate Pokemon series at once.

If I had to guess, it's the reason why they feel like splitting everything into different series despite all being the same manga series in Japan, they don't want to waste time with 'old stuff' and move ahead. "Ruby and Sapphire? Fire Red and Leaf Green? Emerald? Those are all old news, who cares about those? Kids are playing Black and White! We got hurry up and focus on that!" So they figure kids wont bother with the older stuff more than likely.

Same reason why 4Kids doesn't bother finishing their Yu-Gi-Oh dubs. By the time their dub reaches the last 40 episodes of the current series, the next series is already at 30+ episodes in Japan, so they figured "Who cares about the last 40 episodes of this old series? Let's focus on dubbing the next series and drop the old one"

Sadly, these kinds of series are seen as 'cash cows' first and foremost by the dubbing companies, and they'll gladly sacrifice endings, story, and etcetera if they feel they can boost sales. Viz more than likely said 'Black and White will sell more than the ones based on the antique Gameboy Advanced games' It's in their VizKids line, so they probably won't treat it like they do their normal stuff like Naruto or One Piece.

(Platinum probably has a grandfather clause excuse.. it was already being published so they figured they might as well finish it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1