• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio AIC Makes New Student Council's Discretion Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
guess that explains why we haven't heard anything about it since it was confirmed for another anime still if its as hilarious as season one then count me in Smile.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The comedy revolves around Ken Sugisaki, a boy who becomes part of the student council of his private high school. He is the only boy on the council, where he is surrounded by cute girls.

Why does shit like this still sell

Why
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
The comedy revolves around Ken Sugisaki, a boy who becomes part of the student council of his private high school. He is the only boy on the council, where he is surrounded by cute girls.

Why

Because you don't import your Blu-Rays from Japan
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'd be so much more happy if this was an announcement about more Seitokai Yakuindomo instead of Seitokai no Ichizon. I didn't mind Ichizon, I just found the other, "only dude on an all-female student council" show funnier.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Why

Because it's funny and charming and all around enjoyable to watch. Of course Ichizon is a lot more self aware of the situation than most shows of its kind. The girls are elected due to popularity so of course they're all cute girls. The guy got on because he's got the best grades and he worked to get them because he wanted to form a harem.

Blood- wrote:
I'd be so much more happy if this was an announcement about more Seitokai Yakuindomo instead of Seitokai no Ichizon. I didn't mind Ichizon, I just found the other, "only dude on an all-female student council" show funnier.

I agree with you completely.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
As long as there's still more to come, I don't care who is making it. The first show was hilarious!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Why

They're fun shows to watch.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Watching a generic harem show with a ridiculously contrived premise is fun?

God, anime fandom doesn't have standards anymore.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Uh, yeah. Whats wrong with these types of shows? Anime isn't supposed to be about deep pretentious shit like a lot of Americans expect it to be, its about otaku bait. If you don't want anime to be anime, go watch something else. You like dubs so much so you might prefer stuff thats in English originally.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anime should be pretentious shit, my favorite anime is Gurren Lagann, and my favorite manga is f*ckin' Negima (you know, the manga with a ~30~-girl harem)

I'm just getting sick of seeing the same stuff every goddamn season. The same boring harem shit that doesn't even TRY to be "good". Yeah, we get shows like Madoka...but only like every 5 years.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Uh, yeah. Whats wrong with these types of shows? Anime isn't supposed to be about deep pretentious shit like a lot of Americans expect it to be, its about otaku bait. If you don't want anime to be anime, go watch something else. You like dubs so much so you might prefer stuff thats in English originally.

I've thought that Changen46 has been overreaching badly with his condemnations, but this seems equally excessive. Chagen46 manner me more annoyed, but your statement is more distressing. What exactly condemns anime to being nothing more than the entertainment equivalent of a hot pocket? How is it innately that. How is Japanese people drawing pictures in sequences to create the illusion of movement to tell stories somehow is somehow innately and solely for the purpose of enabling socially marginal people to wallow in the purest forms of their most self-serving fantasies without challenge or self-awareness. Why can't or shouldn't it have higher ambitions?

In fact it has had higher ambitions. Are things like Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Memories, Patlabor 2 or the works of Satoshi Kon or even Cowboy Bebop mere pandering to otaku? Perhaps so if one broadens the meaning enough, but in doing that, it makes the phrase pointless. I know that those are exception, one-in-a-large number works, but nobody's been dealing in nuance, so I think they disprove the assertion. I hardly condemn people wandering from time to time into the wilderness of their least sophisticated or inhibited pleasures, but I think its asinine to reject and insult the idea that anime can or should do more ambitious, intelligent things.

And does anybody else think we should consider 'banning'* the word pretentious? I can't remember the last time I saw it used in a useful, trenchant or even appropriate way.

I was drawn to anime because I like animation and it has generally been the best source for animation that reaches beyond comedy. I don't like harem series, moe or ecchi and sometimes don't even respect them, but I'm quite content to stay away and leave those be. A few decades of animation and even what is now airing in Japan supply enough for my interests, which tend to, but sometimes don't, include at least some depth of thought and characterization. Should I really just get the Hell out because of that?

My answer is obviously, "no." I don't think that there need to be any others.

*I don't, as I would like to believe nobody would think or pretend as a rhetorical cheat to think, want to literally put jackboots to people's keyboards to prevent them from using the word, just that anybody tempted to use it should pause and instead take up the challenge of explaining the supposed pretension, perhaps finding that it wasn't really there and the word pretentious popped into mind for self-serving reasons.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't think anime should be pretentious shit, my favorite anime is Gurren Lagann, and my favorite manga is f*ckin' Negima (you know, the manga with a ~30~-girl harem)

I'm just getting sick of seeing the same stuff every goddamn season. The same boring harem shit that doesn't even TRY to be "good". Yeah, we get shows like Madoka...but only like every 5 years.

All I can say is lol mainstream titles and lol Negima manga after that troll ending. Clearly someone didn't watch some other titles last year if you're praising Madoka. Other titles include Steins;Gate, Mawaru Penguindrum, Fate/Zero and Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari

Anyways, happy to see more Seitokai no Ichizon, especially since they initially dropped hints saying "this is the end of the show."

And last I checked, the past 2 years have had a better mix up of stuff compared to period between 2005-2008. Albeit most have been bad, it seems the industry is experimenting with things more than anything else right now. Also, it seems that people don't get the idea that it is near impossible for anything to be original any more.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All I can say is lol mainstream titles

Oh look, another person who thinks that "popular = bad"

Quote:
and lol Negima manga after that troll ending.

I don't read scanlations, so don't spoil.

Quote:
Clearly someone didn't watch some other titles last year if you're praising Madoka. Other titles include Steins;Gate, Mawaru Penguindrum, Fate/Zero and Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari

I prefer waiting for official releases. And I mean physical releases, not just streaming.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Clearly someone didn't watch some other titles last year if you're praising Madoka. Other titles include Steins;Gate, Mawaru Penguindrum, Fate/Zero and Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari

I prefer waiting for official releases. And I mean physical releases, not just streaming.

Then you have no place to complain about nothing good coming out in recent years if you refuse to watch the anime that comes out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Blood-, I want more SYD. Love them perverted women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3