• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Salmon Fishing in the Milky Way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhernan02

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lorenzo (a boy): "looks small like this, I'm depressed now Sad"

Erin (a girl): "Untrue! That's plenty big enough!"

Did this exchance seem like a hilarious double entendre to anybody else or is it just my lack of sleep and oversupply of Edith Piaf. It would be funnier if it was a completely innocent reply on Erin's part.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I kinda hate shows being compared favorable to Neia_7.
I did not get the show at all. The alien was a totally pain in the ass, FINANCIAL burden on everyone, and should have been kicked to the curb immediately. But she sticks around sucking up resources and causing financial burdens to all with zero regrets while being obnoxious about it.

Why is this enjoyable to some? This is like a drug resistant Staph infection.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
My only issue is that films give no conclusion to the war. It just seemingly ends.

For me, the larger issue with Broken Blade is the six episodes gave zero resolution and point to the characters, including the ones that died during the series. It has a great score and the battle animation is certainly fluid so I don't regret watching it but it has no depth. So after watching it, I went back to a similar but so much more awesome and complete mech series, Saint Story from Another World or Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari which isn't an improvement at all {I have to look up the title every time}. It's too bad Broken Blade is such a better title. Not series, just the title is better.

Or Gundam whatever, not that I've ever watched a Gundam series. I've seen episodes, sure, but never a complete series.

I liked NieA_7 but I've been hesitant about tsuritama. Not for the fishing or for its slow slice of life pacing {It's got to be better than Piano. So far, everything has been better.} but it appears to be, how should I say it, Yaoish? But it's really Sci-Fi shounen action? Oh, that is so much worse than I imagined...

Also, regarding NieA_7, it should be seen just for Tomoko Kawakami's performance as Karna. A truly amazing piece of acting. But why do I find this ending more appropriate than Broken Blade's? It's like Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Sometimes you're just better off coming up with answers yourself rather than being let down by someone else's idea of what is suitably "alien".

And "Life goes on. Somehow..." is a good answer and ending for many slice of life shows. It doesn't work, however, if you're in the middle of a war.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I liked NieA_7 but I've been hesitant about tsuritama. Not for the fishing or for its slow slice of life pacing {It's got to be better than Piano. So far, everything has been better.} but it appears to be, how should I say it, Yaoish? But it's really Sci-Fi shounen action? Oh, that is so much worse than I imagined...

Maybe you should loosen those yaoi googles there. I can see how the behavior of a certain alien on there would cause people to look at tsuritama with a romantic light, but his behavior is explainable once you think about it and the show itself is far from being a romance. It's more focused on character development and just so happens to have guys bond with each other. Like friends. (I shiver to witness the day guys can't befriend other guys.)

As for the "Sci-Fi shounen action" claim... I don't know what you're imagining to make your imagined tsuritama being worse that your previous imagined tsuritama, but the Sci-Fi aspect of the show was mostly in the background until the later episodes (as Erin stated in the article), which then included spoiler[people dancing uncontrollably and bunny-shaped duck suits. (It's a rather lighthearted show even when it's serious, okay? That's one of its charms.)] From there, they lead to the most recent episodes, which are now focused on fishing*. (Gasp... Then again, I have no idea what will happen in the last episode this week.)

So yeah. Give it a try with an open mind! That's what the show's about anyway!

*Just to be clear, they're not having epic sci-fi fishing tournaments.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I agree with darkhappy1 that you should give it a shot. I for one never saw anything more than an anime about a group of guy friends - none of their behavior feels "romantic" unless you're a yaoi fangirl specifically looking for something to ship (I am not trying to bash them, but seriously, they can find excuses to ship anything! Anime hyper). Not quite sure I'd call it "shounen action", either, as the main focus really is on the characters, even when the plot picks up in the later episodes. Heck, for some reason, Crunchyroll has it listed under "shoujo", lol. But it really is pretty unique and interesting all around, and being only 12 episodes, it's not a huge chore to sit through either. I will acknowledge that it's not for everyone, but if you're even a little interested, you should give it a try, at least.

For the record, this is coming from someone who's not a yaoi fan and hasn't truly enjoyed the "shounen action" genre for a few years now despite having been a fan previous to that.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Also, regarding NieA_7, it should be seen just for Tomoko Kawakami's performance as Karna.

Also, just to note, this one line has convinced me I have to try and check out this show.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
In Broken Blade the 12 year old girls best friend who dies early on in the series is said to have been in the same grades with her growing up, if I remember correctly. The friend also looked far to old to be 12 or even 14 or 15.

I thought that was a hint that growth hormons and other experiments where being used in the country to the west on lower class children to make them grow up faster, so that they could have more able body soldiers.

I haven't read the books though so maybe I just misunderstood or missed a piece of dialogue.

PS: Thats not to say that they didn't use it as a creepy gag that took away from the general story.....

Well Cleo wasn't a lower class child. She is actually a noble.

Though to Erin's complaint, there is a point because as Rover mentioned, they pretty clearly implied their country was messing with people's genes/hormones, the movies just only cover up to a certain point. Sure they could have changed her design or even left it out, but I think her chest was mentioned as early as movie 2 and considering how long it took the whole thing to come out, perhaps they didn't realize it would end up completely unnecessary for movie only fans. Also, the story isn't over, so if they were to make more later they risk having to retcon if they didn't just include her as she was originally.

Also in fairness to why it has to be a massive rack, you can't really tell how old some one is in an anime by looking (reliably at least) but by making hers that large in an anime/manga where it isn't the standard, its obvious her body is meant to be more mature. I don't think it was really intended to be a comedy element or fan service (I mean Sigyn clearly has the fan service covered plenty as it is).
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Broken Blade quite a bit even though(or maybe because) I don't watch mecha shows(I've tried watching various Gundam series but I always get bored halfway through). I feel the same way about Broken Blade that I do about Princess Jellyfish, neither had a real resolution but I'm ok with where they stopped.

In regards to Cleo, I remember that other girl(Niko or Nike?) who was 25 being called a spinster, so that country is definitely going for marrying early in life.

With the plant-less areas, I just figured that they do a lot of fighting in that area, which is also where they do a lot of mining neither of which is good for plants.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a dumb question about Broken Blade, but I have to ask. If people in this show are psychically manipulating quartz, and they live in deserts, are they able to manipulate the sand? In our world desert sand is largely composed of quartz - unless their sand is gypsum or some other kind of evaporite (like White Sands in New Mexico).

Sorry, just being a nerd. Could be kind of cool though. I like the idea of sand manipulation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked Broken Blade, but I understand it has flaws with how it does not end. I decided to look up some more information and they pretty much deviated from the original source material a bit which would help explain why it turned out oddly from halfway to the end.

Time to go watch madoka on blu ray Smile[/spoiler]
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Quote:
For example, Yuki's mother checking into the hospital

That's his grandmother. Yuki doesn't have parents.

Augh! I could swear I got that right in the original draft...

Animegomaniac wrote:
{It's got to be better than Piano. So far, everything has been better.}

Agreed!

SilverTalon01 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
I thought that was a hint that growth hormons and other experiments where being used in the country to the west on lower class children to make them grow up faster, so that they could have more able body soldiers.

Though to Erin's complaint, there is a point because as Rover mentioned, they pretty clearly implied their country was messing with people's genes/hormones, the movies just only cover up to a certain point.

I'm glad there's an explanation and it isn't just totally creepy. It is, however, still somewhat creepy.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you throw a rock, you can hit a Gundam series starring two childhood friends caught up on opposite sides in a war. A handful of Gundam series also star pilots who don't want to hurt anyone.

Actually, to my knowledge, the whole "childhood friends caught up on opposing sides" trope is rarely used in Gundam series. In fact the only ones I can think of that do that is Gundam Seed,which is very well known for the trope, and Gundam 00 which technically does it. Siblings on opposing sides is one more common in Gundam series. Though you're right on the money with the protagonists not wanting to fight.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Seeing as NieA_7 is one of my favorite anime, I'll definitely be checking tsuritama out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JoePianist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, Shelf Life...you really hit the nail on my thoughts of Madoka Magica, even more so than Zac's gushing review of Volume 3. It's the type of show that you'll need to watch at least twice in order to fully appreciate the colossal scope of the themes it explores (I also had Gurren Lagann on my mind as I watched the final episode of Madoka).

I'll be visiting my relatives for vacation soon, and I have a 12 year-old cousin who's an otaku-in-the-making. I'm planning to show her Madoka and see what she thinks of the series Cool
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
As daunting writing a review about Madoka Magica may seen to you I wish the next time you opt to write anything why not take a breath, relax, possibly even zone out a little. Your review of this show isn't informing or constructive. I get the feeling a schizophrenic has invaded your head, stolen both your identity integration and thoughts, and then rammed full throttle a stream of consciousness that is being subjected intermittently by Electro-shock therapy. The resultant paragraphs I see in this column discussing PMMM amount to scatological mutterings.

If you had a great time at the cons, fine. Why not opt to Twitter those wonderful experiences or paste it on Facebook? Why do you incessantly waste several paragraphs intended for anime or whatever review on superfluous prattle beforehand? You seem to grasp this on OtakuUSA columns. Why is ANN so different?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
As daunting writing a review about Madoka Magica may seen to you I wish the next time you opt to write anything why not take a breath, relax, possibly even zone out a little. Your review of this show isn't informing or constructive. I get the feeling a schizophrenic has invaded your head, stolen both your identity integration and thoughts, and then rammed full throttle a stream of consciousness that is being subjected intermittently by Electro-shock therapy. The resultant paragraphs I see in this column discussing PMMM amount to scatological mutterings.

It would be awesome if it my review were intentionally written to be stream of consciousness. I love Mark Leyner's writing, for example. To say that a schizophrenic invaded my thoughts is colorful, but overkill.

Part of the problem of writing a Madoka volume 3 review is that most people who start the 12 episode show finish it all in one or two sittings, especially since it's been streaming. I don't want to write exclusively for people who've already seen it, and I'm not allowed to spoil people, which makes it particularly difficult to discuss. Besides, Zac wrote the longer, more formal review elsewhere.

Personally I can't imagine anyone being so on the fence after volume two that they wouldn't buy volume three. The buying decision for most viewers (especially with streaming internet) is more or less: "Do I get this, or the BD, or wait for a series box?" I think I already asked those questions in my reviews of volume one and two.

Since you seem somewhat eloquent, I'm interested in what you would consider "informing or constructive" in a review, and as a separate question, what would be "informing or constructive" in a review of Madoka volume three?

bemused Bohemian wrote:
If you had a great time at the cons, fine. Why not opt to Twitter those wonderful experiences or paste it on Facebook? Why do you incessantly waste several paragraphs intended for anime or whatever review on superfluous prattle beforehand? You seem to grasp this on OtakuUSA columns. Why is ANN so different?

This is a column, and what I write for OtakuUSA are one-off reviews (unless you're referring to some other writer's OtakuUSA column that I'm not aware of). Bamboo used to open the column with a couple sentences about her life, or some timely thing related to the column, and I'm just following the format. The opening paragraph tradition dates back to 2002.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3