• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Another, Nisemonogatari Rank in Japan's Top Hashtags in 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Another would rank so highly in hashtags, since the media sales for it were so low. I guess its just one of those shows that people have fun watching, but can't bring themselves to pay the money to own?
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I find it interesting that Another would rank so highly in hashtags, since the media sales for it were so low. I guess its just one of those shows that people have fun watching, but can't bring themselves to pay the money to own?

I wonder then what it is what brings people to actually buy them.

Obviously enjoying it is a part of it, but it appears to not be enough.

(Also, nice to see High School DxD up there)
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
I am impressed that Waiting in the Summer is up on the list! I loved it, but I wasn't aware that it did that well in Japan...
AnimeRonin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
NHK's June 16 anime song marathon topped the rankings. I wish to find its significance. Laughing

Quote:
Also, nice to see High School DxD up there
conquered by the harem king, no less Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

Its based on the audience. Something like Another seems to be aimed at at audience that isn't quite the buying market. Otaku never buy horror anime... so when you don't appeal to the otaku, it doesn't sell. A lot of the more casual anime fans watched it, but they're not paying 400 bucks for the series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

Its based on the audience. Something like Another seems to be aimed at at audience that isn't quite the buying market. Otaku never buy horror anime... so when you don't appeal to the otaku, it doesn't sell. A lot of the more casual anime fans watched it, but they're not paying 400 bucks for the series.

i think your price is wrong. Even Fate Zero is not 400.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

i think your price is wrong. Even Fate Zero is not 400.

Average anime volume is about 65-70 dollars after Amazon discount. Even going the lower rate, 65 x 6 = 390 dollars. 400 is the general ballpark where it ends up. More if you don't preorder at Amazon but somewhere else.

-edit-

Actually its even more now due to inflation

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Another-限定版-第5巻-Blu-ray-水島-努/dp/B006L16Z7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1342710946&sr=1-1

Heres the 5th Another BD, almost ready for release. Its actually 74 dollars, even with the discount price.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

I don't get this. It's otakus' fault that horror fans didn't buy it?
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
His point is that there aren't many horror fans who buy anime in Japan.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

Nope, its more like barely anybody buys anime in Japan other than otakus. So if there is a genre that otakus don't like, it doesn't sell. Normal people aren't going to pay the outrageous prices to buy anime, so its viewed as a premium item that only the most hardcore fans can buy. Its why we get all the moe and fanservice stuff these days... otaku eat it up.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Now that makes sense.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
aereus wrote:

Nope, its more like barely anybody buys anime in Japan other than otakus. So if there is a genre that otakus don't like, it doesn't sell. Normal people aren't going to pay the outrageous prices to buy anime, so its viewed as a premium item that only the most hardcore fans can buy. Its why we get all the moe and fanservice stuff these days... otaku eat it up.

Oh well then it would be a matter of the company's bad pricing system. Different prices for different targets shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

Why is this otakus fault again? Seems more like a bad decision from the company.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Another was a comedy, though. Why are you guys talking about horror fans when the show was never made for them?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even have the stats on who likes Another? I was always under the impression that it was popular with teenagers.

I mean, it'd totally make sense to me -- teenagers are well connected (hence, Twitter) but won't have the money to buy box sets either.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Really? That's surprising to me. Perhaps that's one of the reasons High School of The Dead was jam-packed with so many obvious "appealing attributes" - to market to as wide a demographic as possible? Though I suppose rampant zombie slaying vs. mystical curse with gorn is hardly the same thing, save for surface aspects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2