• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Surpasses 100,000 Premium Subscribers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't seem like a lot.

I wonder how that Guest pass system is affecting subscriptions. On every video I watch half of the comments are asking for guest passes.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

In what alternate universe is doubling subscribers each year and 100,000 paying subscribers three years after going legit "not a lot"? At a minimum of $5/month, that's $6m/yr.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Gasero wrote:

In what alternate universe is doubling subscribers each year and 100,000 paying subscribers three years after going legit "not a lot"? At a minimum of $5/month, that's $6m/yr.

I never implied that the rate of Crunchyroll subscriptions was bad. What I should have said was that STILL doesn't seem like a lot.

Considering the number of people who claim to be anime fans Crunchyroll is arguably the best source for the latest anime. If Crunchyroll doesn't get paid subscribers I doubt many others will.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's try to just have one thread for this discussion please. I hate how there can be two or three separate threads reacting to the same news story presented in different parts of ANN.

Can we consolidate the discussion into animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1177069, please?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Gasero wrote:

I never implied that the rate of Crunchyroll subscriptions was bad. What I should have said was that STILL doesn't seem like a lot.

Considering the number of people who claim to be anime fans Crunchyroll is arguably the best source for the latest anime. If Crunchyroll doesn't get paid subscribers I doubt many others will.

Yes, except that the point of the PR is that Crunchyroll does get paying subscribers. Being at 100,000 and still in the middle of explosive growth points to anywhere from 200,000 subscribers, 500,000 subscribers or even more when the market matures. For a niche market like anime, those are damn good subscription numbers.

Consider that 5,000 buying a modest sub-only DVD release means that it was a success in the market. 20 times the many people subscribe to Crunchyroll, and it still growing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1