• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Point and Kleck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toriko36

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Another awesome podcast. Shawn is always insightful when he's on ANNcast and as someone who purchases from rightstuf often, always nice to hear his take on things.

I have a question for anyone, maybe even Justin could answer this.

Regarding North American Blu Ray releases. Is it the exact same thing as the Japanese blu ray?

For example, Grave of the fireflies that Sentai is releasing, is this the same as original Japanse Blu Ray that Pony Canyon releases in Japan? Or another example would be the Ninja Scroll Blu Ray, is this the same as the Japanese release from Victor Entertainment (that Sentai is also releasing soon)?
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
Regarding North American Blu Ray releases. Is it the exact same thing as the Japanese blu ray?

They're generally not the same - some have video improvements or faults introduced and some are mostly similar but with extras stripped or subtitle locks and other restrictions added along with the logos/commercials for the US company. Episode counts are usually much higher on the US BD version than the Japanese one. There are some exceptions, for example the US release of Gundam Unicorn uses the Japanese discs, and of course Aniplex of America has ported a few over with no/few changes (e.g. the recent Durarara!! BD set didn't have sign subs for dub viewers on the Japanese release, and therefore the US one didn't either; unusual for a US release nowadays).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd totally triple-dip for Utena on Blu-ray.

Looking forward to RoV. Now try licensing Candy Candy. Twisted Evil

For real license requests, I'd love to see Nozomi pick up some 90s shoujo. ChaCha, Hime-chan, and Gokinjo especially.

Last edited by Ojamajo LimePie on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Has there been any word on how the FUNimation vs Sentai lawsuit is doing? We were supposed to hear something by October.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
In case Shawne K. is lurking around the forum here...

On Anime licenses, have you given any thought to Kickstarter programs for certain niche titles?

and...

are there any plans for future Hetalia manga volumes, or does Stu Levy still have the licensing rights for that title?

To the ANNCast crew. If a person has questions for the guest or crew of ANNCast, do you have to submit them to twitter only? I keep hearing the same people featured from Zac's twitter feed. I've submitted a few questions via e-mail about three times through ANNCast's history and have never had my questions featured. Wondering if submitting the questions via e-mail is the wrong way to do it.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for taking my question on the show. I do most of my anime buying through RightStuf, and a majority of my purchases this year have been Bandai shows that had been on my to-buy list - a category that was larger than I had thought it'd be. I still need to do another order to pick up some additional Gundam stuff, since that's the one license I have doubts about Bandai allowing another company to handle, as well as some other misc. shows I remember liking (Planetes).

Looking forward to seeing what the Black Friday and the 12 Days of Christmas sales serve up. I always seem to be pulled in by the gravity of something they've got on sale during those times.
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
What I'm about to say is serious stuff. In terms of Kickstarter, Shawne if you're reading this, I think now is the time to bring Legend of the Galactic Heroes to the states. I'm willing to throw down $400-$1,000 for the entire series. I'm serious. With Rightstuf/Nozomi's knowledge in licensing anime and fanboy money to help alleviate the burden of such a license, I think we can do it. So yeah, just take my wallet.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Re: Bandai titles. I see that Gundam 0083 is gone on rightstuf.com. Gundam 0080 has a counter. Should've checked sooner.

Looking forward to Sweet Blue Flowers.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
I guess this proves that TRSI is the #1 store in the game when they can get a whole podcast to themselves. Smile

It'd be even better if other employees could weight in too.
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Very informative podcast. It's nice to get an idea of how things go behind the scenes, especially since RightStuf has become such a cornerstone of the online anime industry.

It was also interesting to hear that Nozomi may have a few more surprises as far as classic anime licenses go. Looking forward to hearing news about which pre-80's titles they might be!

Just wanted to add this thought as well: I don't know how it would apply to Nozomi Entertainment, but I do think that in the future Kickstarter might be a good option for Nozomi to look into for generating funds as well as buzz for some of their potential pursuits that may not be feasible via regular licensing and/or marketing.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Not just for licenses, but maybe the whole kickstarter thing could be used for dubs on a purchased license, depending on the title.

I know a lot of people want dubs. This way they would know just how much money would need to be raised to get one. Wink
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Shawne is one of my favorite repeat guests on ANNCast. This was a great episode as always. Looking forward to the new license, although classic anime isn't really my interest. I will be picking up Rose of Versailles though, just on reputation alone.

The Lucky Penny got off to a strong start for me with 2/3 announcements being something I was interested in (Ristorante Paradiso and Aoi Hana). Really want to see more from this line if that is a sample of what it'll be releasing.

Also for the 5 Points, I think the Korean movie Antique would be a nice match with Nozomi's Antique Bakery property. Please? Very Happy
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Every time Shawne hints at a license, part of me hopes for a surprise Sailor Moon announcement. I know it is so infinitesimally unlikely; but since Rose of Versailles was acquired, nothing seems impossible. I want Sailor Stars so bad it hurts.
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Every time Shawne hints at a license, part of me hopes for a surprise Sailor Moon announcement. I know it is so infinitesimally unlikely; but since Rose of Versailles was acquired, nothing seems impossible. I want Sailor Stars so bad it hurts.

I'm actually getting my hopes up for that as well. I know that one of the recent hints for possible Nozomi licenses was, "There's a group in this spot, if the deal works." As much of a long-shot it is, I so, so, so want to hope that'll be the license for all five seasons of Sailor Moon.

Hey, I can dream, right?
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Shawne is one of my favorite repeat guests on ANNCast. This was a great episode as always. Looking forward to the new license, although classic anime isn't really my interest. I will be picking up Rose of Versailles though, just on reputation alone.

The Lucky Penny got off to a strong start for me with 2/3 announcements being something I was interested in (Ristorante Paradiso and Aoi Hana). Really want to see more from this line if that is a sample of what it'll be releasing.

Also for the 5 Points, I think the Korean movie Antique would be a nice match with Nozomi's Antique Bakery property. Please? Very Happy

Does anyone know which previous ep Shawne was on?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2