• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NY Children's Film Festival to Screen Miyazaki Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasaMuneCyrus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
There was a new dub? What was wrong with the first one?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
MasaMuneCyrus wrote:
There was a new dub? What was wrong with the first one?

Disney's license to the movies does not include the Dub that was created by Troma. So regardless of whether the dub was good or not, Disney had to re-dub it if they wanted to release it with an English Dub. That or license the original dub from Fox.

Not sure what quality of masters they might have been able to get for the original dub either.

Quality wise, Disney probably felt they could do better than Troma. Personally I found the Troma dubs to be decent enough, although I expect that Disney's dub is probably better.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote
I doubt Disney couldn't get the license to the old dub with their deep pockets. Most likely, they just wanted to market it to a newer audience, even though it'll likely be their best-selling Ghibli title on dvd. I'm not really sure how big Dakota Fanning is, but her name definitely lends comfort to parents new to anime
who might not have otherwise purchased the film. (Unless they didn't like her in WOTW. But that's Tom's fault, not hers.)
And, once again, you New Yorkers are lucky to get swag at your screening. All we got was a complimentary magazine from The Hollywood Reporter. But I would take that April 1 date with a grain of salt, if you catch my drift. Rolling Eyes
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I doubt Disney couldn't get the license to the old dub with their deep pockets. Most likely, they just wanted to market it to a newer audience, even though it'll likely be their best-selling Ghibli title on dvd. I'm not really sure how big Dakota Fanning is, but her name definitely lends comfort to parents new to anime
who might not have otherwise purchased the film. (Unless they didn't like her in WOTW. But that's Tom's fault, not hers.)
And, once again, you New Yorkers are lucky to get swag at your screening. All we got was a complimentary magazine from The Hollywood Reporter. But I would take that April 1 date with a grain of salt, if you catch my drift. Rolling Eyes

Also keep in mind, that Totoro dub was done about 10 years ago, so it's probably not technically up-to-par with today's standards. Some of the unmixed elements may not have been kept, either. (They might be able to fake a 5.1 mix from the Stereo final product, but it wouldn't be nearly as good as if they actually HAD digital stems and session files.)

It's a little too late for a delay (for Disney, at least). And anyway, Kinokuniya already had both in stock when I visited last week. (Didn't buy them yet.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1