• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ziff Davis Announces IGN Layoffs & Shutdown of 1Up, UGO, GameSpy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
1UP had gotten wierd and strangely Xenophobic in the past couple of years, not to mention they basically purged all their staff, not hard to see that one coming.

If Gamespot is going down what about Gamefaqs?

Not to mention it seemed kind of insane to own a bunch of sites that are basically the same thing... Its like if ANN had two sister sites that didn't do anything to separate themselves from the mothership.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Confused I can't say I'm too disappointed. I agree 1UP and a lot of those sites seem pretty xenophobic and ethnocentric these days. That kind of attitude really turned me away from the gaming scene and those sites so I can't say I will miss them one bit.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
If Gamespot is going down what about Gamefaqs?

Gamespot & Gamefaqs aren't going anywhere. Because those two sites are owned by Viacom/CBS. It's Gamespy that is going away.

But yeah, it doesn't make sense to have 4 different sites that basically cover the same thing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Huh, I had no idea Gamespy was still around. I remember it being linked with FilePlanet and that I'd use a Gamespy utility when searching for what server a friend was playing Counter-Strike on. No clue what it ended up evolving into after that though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Confused I can't say I'm too disappointed. I agree 1UP and a lot of those sites seem pretty xenophobic and ethnocentric these days. That kind of attitude really turned me away from the gaming scene and those sites so I can't say I will miss them one bit.

Japanese gaming sites are like that too unfortunately.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
I've been a member of 1up pretty much since the site started. Even as the editorial side of the site took a nosedive I still blogged there and visited it constantly. It had a really great community, at the very least.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
So does this mean IGN is going to drop all video game stuff and just be "eSports" or am I misunderstanding that part?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Why did Ziff Davis buy UGO and 1UP earlier this month if they were just going to shut them down? I get doing it after a few months or years of being unable to make them work, but doing it within the same month? It's like they bought them just to kill them, and wasted a lot of money buying them.

Like Collectonian, I am wondering what will happen to IGN's game stuff. Does Ziff Davis not realize people still love videogames?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
I stopped going there due to lack of usefulness on the sites part.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Why did Ziff Davis buy UGO and 1UP earlier this month if they were just going to shut them down? I get doing it after a few months or years of being unable to make them work, but doing it within the same month? It's like they bought them just to kill them, and wasted a lot of money buying them.

Like Collectonian, I am wondering what will happen to IGN's game stuff. Does Ziff Davis not realize people still love videogames?

I think they bought them as a package. IGN has owned 1up for a while I know that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Japanese gaming sites are like that too unfortunately.

Yeah that's true, Japan's gaming sites can xenophobic. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan have it's own equivalent of 1UP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1