• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samurai Girls Streamed by Crunchyroll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's stream is also uncensored so it is the only subtitled stream that is uncensored since Hulu and the subbed version on TAN are censored. Previously, you had to watch the dubbed version to see it uncensored on a stream.

Seeing an ecchi show uncensored is always a good thing. So if you don't like ink blots, you'll love this news.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, thats a surprise. I just assumed it was the censored version when I saw it added to Crunchy earlier today. This show is unwatchable censored, so they made the right move getting this version.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
The actual streams are not up yet, but yeah, the admin mentioned it will be uncensored. Basically, simulcasts are censored and any older shows sublicensed from home video distributors will be uncensored.

The first Queen's Blade is uncensored on CR while Queen's Blade Rebellion is censored for example
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
This show is unwatchable censored, so they made the right move getting this version.

Really? When the DVD version was released I was disappointed they didn't include an option to turn the censors on/off. I felt it had a cool visual style to it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I've ever heard a fanservice anime DVD/BD that would give you the option to turn on the censors
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
It would have required another video track.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The actual streams are not up yet, but yeah, the admin mentioned it will be uncensored. Basically, simulcasts are censored and any older shows sublicensed from home video distributors will be uncensored.

The first Queen's Blade is uncensored on CR while Queen's Blade Rebellion is censored for example

Precisely ~ if they get the materials from a North American home video distributor, they get uncensored materials, if they get the materials for a simulcast from Japan, the Japanese companies give them censored materials.

I'd imagine the latter is just price maintenance. They surely charge substantially higher royalties for the uncensored narrowcast on subscription television than for the niconico style streams. If they gave Crunchyroll the uncensored materials at the more modest simulcast streaming terms, there could well be complaints from Japanese licensees who pay substantially more.

The North American distributors have no incentive to give Crunchyroll censored materials, it would just drive viewers to more bootleg downloads.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It would have required another video track.

ADV pop-up video! Laughing
Annf

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever heard a fanservice anime DVD/BD that would give you the option to turn on the censors

Only thing I can think of like that is Shin Koihime Musou Otome Tairan:
something wrote:
The BD also has two options in the main menu. "Normal" and "Original". "Normal" keeps the chibi segments from the TV broadcast. "Original" replaces them with new BD-only scenes with non-chibi animation (and more fanservice I guess).

It's a shame because there are occasionally funny ones, like all the miscellaneous sounds used for audio censorship in Kodomo no Jikan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1