• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Railgun S Director: Season to Include Original Summer Vacation story

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
So...they teased the Daihasei arc at the beginning of the series, but aren't actually going to go down that story arc?

Also, am I the only one who feels uneasy about Misaka fanservice? I mean, sure, for Kuroko it's Christmas come early, but when Misaka's character is constantly a contrast between cuteness and badassery, sexiness just feels out of place for her in my books.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sounds good, I didn't like the lack of slice of life stuff so far.. thats part of what made the original Railgun so fun.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Plantz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
That's kind of disappointing actually. I was hoping it would maintain that serious tone, but I guess since the sister's arc is nearing it's conclusion they need something to fill the gap. I guess as long as the comedy is good it's fine.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
So they're not going to spoiler[address Shinobu's whereabouts?]

RyanSaotome wrote:
Sounds good, I didn't like the lack of slice of life stuff so far.. thats part of what made the original Railgun so good.

Until Mikoto's battle against ITEM came which then made Railgun even more awesome.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Hmm so balancing it out?? I'm okay with this but i'm sure people are going complain one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hmm so balancing it out?? I'm okay with this but i'm sure people are going complain one way or the other.

They'd be pretty dumb to not go back this route. Railgun S has really been suffering in preorders compared to the previous season (at this pace it'll sell half of what the first season did), so they really needed to add back what people liked so much about the original season. Its fans didn't want just nonstop action and a dark story... they want 4 girls together doing cute things. Hopefully this rights the ship.

I expect people will complain but whatever.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They'd be pretty dumb to not go back this route. Railgun S has really been suffering in preorders compared to the previous season (at this pace it'll sell half of what the first season did), so they really needed to add back what people liked so much about the original season. Its fans didn't want just nonstop action and a dark story... they want 4 girls together doing cute things. Hopefully this rights the ship.

I expect people will complain but whatever.

well railgun always had a dark-side to begin with, I don't know why I need to keep pointing this out. There are plenty of other sol shows out there with 4 girls doing cute things being made/coming out.

Still I don't mind if they do some so sol of episodes arc apically the obligatory beach episode with tons of fan-service with some of my favorite characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Saw this in the magazine. Super depressing. Fanservice. Yeah. Like that's what I want. Razz I love Mikoto because she's a kickass heroine, not because she gets hit on by Kuroko or because she wears frilly clothing (in the anime moreso). The fight with ITEM was awesome, and although it was a bit draggy to redo the entire Sisters arc, it showed a different side of her. Honestly, as much as I love Satomi Arai (Coco!), I wouldn't mind if Kuroko and the others just kind of disappeared from the picture. We wouldn't lose much. Heck, even the manga barely has them in there (and Kongo is a much more likeable character).

It had finally felt like we had gotten a heroine who stood up for women's independence from male fantasies... Now she's being used as a lolita sex object.

As I said before, Misaki's voice actress already said in an interview that Misaki was a one-time appearance, and that it was just to give something nice to the fans. They were never planning to do the Daihasei from the beginning.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Aw, so it looks like we won't be seeing spoiler[Mikoto and Kuroko engaging in an areal battle against giant wooden magical flying ships.]

Well, at least not until a 3rd season anyways.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Ya, I heard about this yesterday but somewhat disappointed here. I'm hoping it will executed well though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Works for me. I enjoy the SOL parts a little more then the serious ones. But it's the serious ones that make me appreciate the SOL.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

They'd be pretty dumb to not go back this route. Railgun S has really been suffering in preorders compared to the previous season

Uhhh, wasn't that caused by a snafu that affected the Amazon preorders?

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
sigh, is it just me or does the team not understand that railgun is more than a fan service spin off? well to me at least it was always the insightful development of a minor character, a character who the author was always trying to squeeze into the story while giving no meaning to her presence or existence. i never liked mikoto simply because she was nothing but the obligatory tsundere for the majority of the series, railgun changed that for me and ultimately made her much more human in a world of super humans and inhumane humans.
the anime however seems betray what the series was about for me and focuses more on the generic harem dribble the series has been gradually growing away from. sure i gave the team a second chance and they are currently doing a excellent job with the sisters arc but i'm running out of straws after season ones theme, although it's too soon too say but this news convinces me otherwise

i was hoping they would cover some of the shenanigans in SS2 or the other light-novel spinoffs, and introduce sogita gunha. regardless i don't like the direction the animated adaption is going in.

Quote:
ts fans didn't want just nonstop action and a dark story... they want 4 girls together doing cute things. Hopefully this rights the ship.

well thats been the core of the original source material for a long time and it's still selling great. but your observation is ungrounded, i can say that the people were just disappointed with season one and therefore aren't giving this season a chance. the proof is in the alienation of the railgun and index fans.

Last edited by NoremaC-_- on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
I hope the Director is just trolling us to give us a surprise over this "Original Summer Vacation" story.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Okay I just ask everyone so far that posted do you mind if they do a couple fan-service episodes after doing a serious arc?? I think it's nice to tone it down so the characters can re-coup after spending such a hard time get their goal accomplished, still i would like some feed-back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4