• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mighty No. 9 by Mega Man Creators Meets Kickstarter Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
horry sheet...... I wonder if big companies are taking notice of this? kickstarter allows what companies promise and fail to deliver, games and media by artists, vision unhindered by various restrictions, mostly...
Mugley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Big companies don't have to resort to begging for money usually. Wink Kickstarter stuff is generally isn't as good as normally made games at least all the ones I've played. They always feel cheap and amateur in comparison. Hey, who knows, since Inafune is an actual retro game dev unlike most of those retro 8-bit platforming indie devs it might turn out better than other Kickstarter stuff, but 15,000 backers isn't much compared to what actual games sell. I doubt big game companies care much when anything under a million sales is considered a flop usually.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Why is Inafune doing this? He produced games and producers are people who fund things, so if that's the case, we're going to assume he has a thick amount of cash in the bank. Why in the hell is he relying on outsiders to fund games, that he can EASILY make himself?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why is Inafune doing this? He produced games and producers are people who fund things, so if that's the case, we're going to assume he has a thick amount of cash in the bank. Why in the hell is he relying on outsiders to fund games, that he can EASILY make himself?

You're talking about the guy who had to work on Hyperdimension Neptunia just to pay the bills while his new company was getting started.

Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Inafune seems to have underestimated Kickstarter; he should have asked for more. But I suppose the project should accumulate more than $900,000 when all is set and done. I wonder if it could get to up to $5 millions.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Well damn, that didn't take long. Good for Infanue though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

Ok, it's one thing to pay for development, but staff (a lot of whom have experience to the NES says), promotion, marketing, this all adds up.

Hell, Richard Garriot, who has enough money to pay for a trip to the International Space Station, used Kickstarter to fund Shroud of the Avatar when EA screwed him out of working on Ultima Forever. And he is way richer than Inafune.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Ok I know Japan has much less copyright laws which is how we get all those nice doujinshi, but this is so much like Rockman it's not even funny Laughing Not-Rock, Not-Roll, Not-Rush, Not-Wily, Not-Iris, Not-Girl-who-won-that-Capcom-contest, Not-8 Robot Masters.. where's Not-Blues and Not-Forte? Laughing I wonder if Capcom can sue him for blatant copying
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Ok I know Japan has much less copyright laws which is how we get all those nice doujinshi, but this is so much like Rockman it's not even funny Laughing Not-Rock, Not-Roll, Not-Rush, Not-Wily, Not-Iris, Not-Girl-who-won-that-Capcom-contest, Not-8 Robot Masters.. where's Not-Blues and Not-Forte? Laughing I wonder if Capcom can sue him for blatant copying

Mega Man isn't that popular in Japan, outside the Battle Network Games. It's more of a western thing.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Who cares? Since Capcom has essentially kicked Mega Man to the curb, I'm pretty happy to see Inafune take his ball somewhere else!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
se37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yep, I knew this would be funded quickly but now I'm wondering how much more it can go. I'm planning on funding it myself once I get my paycheck next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

You really have no understanding of Inafune's career if you actually believe this.

Producers for big game companies fund games with THE GAME COMPANY'S MONEY, not their own.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed BUGS vs. TANKS! bet this will he fun.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
How bad are things when Keiji Inafune has to use Kickstarter?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
How bad are things when Keiji Inafune has to use Kickstarter?

About as bad as they've always been since he and Capcom fell out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2