• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gainax's Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water TV

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
well holy f***** s*** it's a damn miracle . I never expected to see this series get a license rescue at all. I better start saving up my pennies now to add this classic to my collection. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I'd been kicking myself for not picking up Set 1 & Set 2 when TRSI was offering them for $14.99 each. Then Set 1 went OOP. Glad I will have another alternative to paying an OOP premium.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been slowly and intermittently nursing an interest in this series, so I might well be ready to buy it once this release becomes available. Just a few weeks ago I was looking into just how disagreeable it would be to gather all of this one together. I'm glad that I won't have to put up with that.

I'll have to put up with the island episodes, in one sense or another, but it's not like I won't know that I'm getting into.

The only thing that really tamps my enthusiasm down is that all reverse-ADVoltron releases are on double-secret probation because I'm a little uneasy about their quality control. Even so, I look forward to smiling at seeing this on my shelves.

Cheers to you, Sentai Filmworks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched Nadia but I did see a live-action made-for-TV adaptation (The Village Roadshow version that aired on ABC) of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when I was a kid. I've always wanted to watch Nadia but all I found online were subs and I'm not too keen on paying an arm and a leg for an out-of-print release of anything, and that's the bottom line cus Stone Cold said so!

Last edited by Clyde_Cash on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Nadia back on the market, may just have to pick it up this time around.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, this is a true classic. If there is justice in the world, it will be a bestseller.

The idea is that it was based on an original story outline that Miyazaki made for Toho in the 1970s for a TV show that ultimately never got produced - he left, but Toho retained the rights to the general plot outline. 15 years later, Gainax was allowed to use that outline and turn it into a TV show -- even though Miyazaki had also re-used the same general idea in "Castle in the Sky".

They turned out to be VERY different projects, one isn't a mere copy of the other, but they have very similar..."DNA".

One of the more exciting things is that this is what Gainax worked on right before Evangelion, and....MANY of the designs are very similar to things they used later on Evangelion. Just stylistically (the way certain CLAMP series can look similar). So they look like proto-versions of certain Eva characters. Nadia herself was the basis for Shinji - they wanted to make an effeminate wimpy boy, so they basically cropped Nadia's hair and put a female head onto a male body (note that his neck is proportionately long for a boy).

***What most excites me is that *the bad guys' plan in Nadia is BASICALLY what Seele wanted to do in Evangelion*.

So for all of the "confusion" about what Seele and Human Instrumentality Project are, and where the Angels come from.....basically the whole "Neo-Atlantis" cult IS Seele.

Another big point is that the entire third and final season is nothing but a filler arc, which even Gainax advises people to skip

That's not to say you should "stop" at the end of Season 2 - basically they took what was *going* to be the season 2 finale, pushed it to the end of season 3, then invented about 20 filler episodes to space it out in between. They suffered from both poor writing and poor animation quality as a result. But hey, on the other hand, they're "bonus episodes" of a sort. But not relevant to the main plot.

Will they redub it?

Note: Nadia is a popular and well-written enough of a series that in all seriousness, I think it might be worth it for Section 23 to run it on Adult Swim. It was broadly popular when it came out originally.

Do you guys A - think it would work on TV today? B - think that Section 23 would financially be capable of doings this?

You spend money to make money sometimes, but you can't air niche shows on TV - Nadia, in contrast, was a classic. If run on TV, I think it would drastically increase its exposure and boost DVD sales.

Last edited by _V_ on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will they redub it?

It's been redubbed since 2001. Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever see the Streamline-dubbed episodes? I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare the two dubs (by the way, in that dub, Nadia was voiced by Wendee Lee and Marie was voiced by the person who did Angelica Pickles from Rugrats). Glad to see this one get rescued!

Now that this has come to pass, I wonder if it'll air on Toonami? That'd be pretty cool!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Woah, excellent news. Will definitely pick this up when it comes out.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Just want to add that this was announced by Sentai's 11am industry panel at AniMaine. Very Happy

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you guys A - think it would work on TV today? B - think that Section 23 would financially be capable of doings this?

I don't really know, but I think it'd be a great idea to give the show some exposure on Toonami, if given the right amount of advertising and marketing. People are always up for a good adventure, so I don't see why it wouldn't do well on American TV (though I don't think people will tolerate Nadia the character).
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Will they redub it?

It's been redubbed since 2001. Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever see the Streamline-dubbed episodes? I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare the two dubs (by the way, in that dub, Nadia was voiced by Wendee Lee and Marie was voiced by the person who did Angelica Pickles from Rugrats).

It would be nice if they were included, like with the media blasters DVD release of Giant Robo having both of its English dubs. I still have the old Nadia tapes because of the dub being different (and actually quite good for its age).
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully we'll see both dubs on this set - that would definitely make this one worth owning!
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Will they redub it?

It's been redubbed since 2001. Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever see the Streamline-dubbed episodes? I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare the two dubs (by the way, in that dub, Nadia was voiced by Wendee Lee and Marie was voiced by the person who did Angelica Pickles from Rugrats). Glad to see this one get rescued!

Now that this has come to pass, I wonder if it'll air on Toonami? That'd be pretty cool!

From what I've heard, the Streamline dub didn't finish the entire series. Heard some clips from it though. Nadia sounds kinda like Suu with a French accent and Marie, sounds exactly like Angelica.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

I don't really know, but I think it'd be a great idea to give the show some exposure on Toonami, if given the right amount of advertising and marketing. People are always up for a good adventure, so I don't see why it wouldn't do well on American TV (though I don't think people will tolerate Nadia the character).
This is one of my earliest acquisitions and I believe my first ever DVD purchase when DVD was the new religion. However if it goes to Toonami they will either air it after midnight, or edit it like they did Tenchi Muyo OVA 1. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
V: I think it would be ignored on tv today, since it's so damned old. Clearly a product of late 80s/90s anime. But maybe it'd fit in on a late-night Nick slot. Or, if Sentai wanted to be ironic, The Disney Channel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5